hi im planing to go thailand and stay for long time.

i'm from belgium and my question is.

iff i got a 3 month visa and its expiered do i need to go back to belgium to extend it or can i go to 1 off the neigber countries off thailand to get it expiered.

Hello dennis13.

You might want to check with the Royal Thai Embassy in Brussels because obtaining a tourist visa in your home country, I believe your visa would have a 6-month validity and not three.

If the tourist visa is indeed valid for only 3-month like you say, you could apply for a multiple-entry (2 entry) visa and on arrival here, you'll receive a stamp in your passport valid for 60-days, which you can then extend at immigration for a further 30-days. Okay then, what you'll need to do next is pay careful attention to your visa, the part that reads "ENTER BEFORE" and ensure you take a visa run the day before stated date; if you're going to be staying in Bangkok - that'll involve a 'pleasant' 9-hour return journey to Cambodia in order to obtain another 60-day stamp, which again you'll be able to extend for another 30-days.

That means a 3-month tourist visa could permit a stay here of anything up to 6-months; bearing in mind the date you initially arrive here of course - after your visa has been issued, plus there would be a need to do one visa run.

Now then, if the tourist visa issued to you is in fact valid for 6-months and not three (like in the example above), you could apply for 3 entries (instead of 2) then you'll be able to go on one more visa run, get stamped-in for another 60-days and extend once again at immigration - for yet another 30-days.

Check with the Embassy then please dennis13, as I believe you'll receive a tourist visa with a 6-month validity, that will permit you to stay here for up to 9-months - with a requirement to go on two visa runs.

A single entry tourist visa is valid for 3 monhts, and gives you 60 days into the country, which you can extend for another 30 days (at any immigration office inside of Thailand for 1900 baht).

A multiple entry tourist visa is valid for 6 months, and each entry gives you 60 days into the country, which you can extend with another 30 days at 1900 baht.

A triple tourist visa will give you 270 days total in the country, providing you use the visa immediate after issue, so you can still do the thrid entry within the validity of the visa, you will have to leave the country twice, and extend the visa three times (at 1900 baht per extension). If you need more then that, consider a multiple entry non Immigrant B visa, which might be obtained wihtout too much hassle back in Brussel. This visa is good for one year, but you will have to leave the country after each 90 days.

You could also get additional tourits visas in neighboring countries.

I'd be surprised if a triple entry tourist would be issued to an applicant in Brussels. A double is probably the best available. With 2 30 day extensions and 1 border crossing that would enable a 6 month stay in Thailand..
FWIW and most respectfully - I was told I could have a decuple (10x) entry tourist visa coming through Vientiane last week (but that's another story) and I have acquaintances who have received triple and quadruple entry tourist visas from London within the past 30-days, so IMHO dennis13...I would definitely ask. :o

I'd be surprised if a triple entry tourist would be issued to an applicant in Brussels. A double is probably the best available. With 2 30 day extensions and 1 border crossing that would enable a 6 month stay in Thailand..
FWIW and most respectfully - I was told I could have a decuple (10x) entry tourist visa coming through Vientiane last week (but that's another story) and I have acquaintances who have received triple and quadruple entry tourist visas from London within the past 30-days, so IMHO dennis13...I would definitely ask. :o

Certainly can't hurt to ask :D

Out of interest, do you know how much they were charging for a 10 entry? (never heard of that before). And, most importantly, how long it is valid for (seems pointless if it's six months).

EDIT Dumb question, you sure you didn't misunderstand the pronounciation of 'double'?

Edited by Crossy

This "10" seems to have been in response to a Thai asking and suspect it was not intended to be taken literally.
Yes it was lopburi3, my Thai partner asked one of the First Secretaries (on my behalf) and his response was probably due to the fact that he felt a little embarrassed by my partner's reaction when without knowing a thing about me, I was adjudged to be yet "another" stupid, beer guzzling, sex trafficking, dirty, loud, obnoxious farang.

FWIW it certainly pays to take your Thai partner (wife, girlfriend, husband, boyfriend) with you on visa runs, as being Thai - they have the right to ask for (and get) what you cannot. One other advantage of having your partner accompany you is that you'll have someone to talk to when enjoying dinner! :D

As for your question Crossy you're absolutely right Sir, it would have been moot paying ฿10,000 (฿1,000 per entry) for a 3-month tourist visa. Even 6-months would have been stretching it a bit as well. :o