Condos In Issan

Hi,

I am contemplating buying a condo, or two, in Issan, more specifically in Nong Khai. However, I am having difficulties finding an agent in that area. Can anyone recommend a reputable estate agent in that area?

Thanks,

Focus

Why not?

Having a condo in Issan would be cool! You'd be like the sugar daddy of the town or city!

You could build up a chain of 'em around Thailand and then sell them later! Maybe even make some major wonga!:o

Come on Issan Gurus, whats the script...?

Thanks to all your Advanced Members for the potent information; couldn't have done it without you; keep it up!

Sarcastic comments will win you no friends here. I live in Issan and would have given you information if I had any. I know of no condos here except in the large cities.

None in Roiet. No demand would be my guess. Still lots of open space and reasonable land prices so why build a condo!? If you strike out finding a condo, consider a house with lease hold. For 3M baht you can get a house the size of an entire floor in a Bangkok condo.

Thanks to all your Advanced Members for the potent information; couldn't have done it without you; keep it up!

How's your other thread on outdoor ice rinks in Isaan going? You probably haven't had much of a response on that either. Similar reason I'd guess. You'll find people on this forum generally willing to help you though if they can :o

Edited by fletchthai68

Roietjimmy,

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions about the lease hold. Are those lease-hold deals as safe as outright ownership of a condo? Can you do anything you want with the house on the land? Can you alter the land in anyway, like build a pond, fill in a pond, plant trees, remove trees? Thanks and sorry if I sound naive about all of this, but I am just beginning. Soon I will get hold of a copy of the laws and regulations about foreigners owning property, including lease-hold, and try to read up on the whole deal. In the meantime, thanks for your insights.

Fletchthai,

Thanks to you too; yes, I find this forum to be pretty friendly and helpful.

Roietjimmy,

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions about the lease hold. Are those lease-hold deals as safe as outright ownership of a condo? Can you do anything you want with the house on the land? Can you alter the land in anyway, like build a pond, fill in a pond, plant trees, remove trees? Thanks and sorry if I sound naive about all of this, but I am just beginning. Soon I will get hold of a copy of the laws and regulations about foreigners owning property, including lease-hold, and try to read up on the whole deal. In the meantime, thanks for your insights.

Fletchthai,

Thanks to you too; yes, I find this forum to be pretty friendly and helpful.

I respectfully defer to those who are more expert in the area of lease holds vs condo ownership. I am sure there are many who will respond. Also, try a search on TV as I have seen many OPs on the subject.

Hi,

I am contemplating buying a condo, or two, in Issan, more specifically in Nong Khai. However, I am having difficulties finding an agent in that area. Can anyone recommend a reputable estate agent in that area?

Thanks,

Focus

Up country Thais do not live in condos. That's why the condos are rare or non existent.

Those who have experienced low quality shoe boxes in BKK (that's what they could afford, share) while doing some work there, would not want to live in any kind of "organized accommodation" in their own up country place.

They all have some house or a shack on their own land, their freedom and they love it.

Even if you meet some luck, the rent would be 1000-1500 baht per month.

You're right Focus. My comment wasn't helpful. I just wasn't sure if you were aware how atypical the housing you're looking for is, in that region. It would be comparable to someone posting for farmland in Manhatten. Anyhow, the region seems to be growing quickly, and if what you want doesn't exist now, it probably soon will.

Lannarebirth,

That's a good analogy, thanks; and thanks to the other posters. Ok, now I am beginning to get the picture.

Ok, how about I put it this way: I don't want to buy or live in a house because I don't like yardwork and upkeep problems; plus there seem to be many grey areas and ambiguities concerning falang owning houses, e.g. you don't own the land the house sits on; of course there are the lease hold deals which one of the other posters mentioned, but even that sounds a little too complex for my desire to keep things simple.

I like apartment living. I will keep looking. Thanks again for the insights.

Focus...

Forgetting for a moment that there are very few condos in Isaan (but in the major provincial cities they can be found, although few and low rises only), are foreigners allowed to own condos in Isaan?

AFAIK they are allowed to buy up to 49% of condos in few designated areas (can't remember where: Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and ... ?).

Forgetting for a moment that there are very few condos in Isaan (but in the major provincial cities they can be found, although few and low rises only), are foreigners allowed to own condos in Isaan?

AFAIK they are allowed to buy up to 49% of condos in few designated areas (can't remember where: Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and ... ?).

Is this correct? I didn't realize farang ownership of condos had to be in "designated areas". Anyone know 'for sure'?

Is this correct? I didn't realize farang ownership of condos had to be in "designated areas". Anyone know 'for sure'?

I don't know if foreigner ownership of condos are limited to certain areas but it is my understanding that not all condos are available to foreigners. I'm not an expert so please find out from someone who knows. As I understand the law a condo must be registered with the land department in order to allow for foreign ownership. What is involved in having a condo registered I haven't a clue. I would guess that the registration would require some sort of additional fee so perhaps this is what makes only certain areas available to foreigners.

I beleive foreigners can own condos outright anywhere so long as the 49% ownership of the building is not exceeded - last year i was offerred 3 rooms in a Khon Kaen Uni apartment block and the owner was a foreigner who wanted to cash in - they were a bit run down but the returns were fairly good - around 8-10% pa

FYI - the condo next to Beung Kaen Nakorn looks nice but is quite cheaply furnished - also they have the plots of land next to the current single building - so depending on demand there may be a few more, over priced buildings going up.

I thought it was much better value to go for some of the new housing developments around KK, with the smallest house going for 800K and could be built to your spec. Went to have a look at one next to the airport in KK and seemed to be ok. Use a usufruct for the land and the property developer as the owner of the land and you should be ok.

You could always ask one of the apartment rental places if they want to sell a room. Not sure of the possibilities, or technicalities of this. There was a few quite nice apartments for rental in central KK I saw. As has already been pointed out there is not really that many condos in Isaan. I beleive there is more in Khorat towm and in Chaing Mai.

Best thing is to ask locally - also pick up some local newspapers and see what is being sold in the property. The local banks who deal in repos, may know of some and may have some for sale.

Please post back here is you get some useful info...