Non "b" And Work Permit

In order to get a non "B" and a work permit or an "O" and a work permit is your degree essential? If you have a company's lawyer doing everything for you will the Thai government require it even if the company doesn't?

you cant work on an 'o' visa ,must be a 'b'...............

If you haven't got a b visa you'll have to go somewhere like penang and get one armed with a shed ooad of company paperwork etc. That will only be a single entry. Go back to your home country and you may / should be able to get a 1 year multiple entry b visa. Your b visa will then be extended after you get your WP. You cannot get a WP on an O visa.

As for degree certificate, I cannot help sorry.

you cant work on an 'o' visa ,must be a 'b'...............

Neither a non-O visa nor a non-B visa allow you to work. A work permit allows you to work. You are allowed to apply for a work permit regardless whether you travelled to Thailand with a non-O or a non-B visa.

--

Maestro

lazeeboy

"you cant work on an 'o' visa ,must be a 'b'..............."

torrenova

"You cannot get a WP on an O visa."

You can get a WP with an O visa, unless it's for retirement.

It is not a new rule.

Edited by TerryLH

There's a lot of misinformation here.

In answer to the OP's question, the degree question is usually in relation to the obtaining of a teacher's licence which is a prerequisite to obtaining a work permit as a teacher. So if the OP is not going to have a work permit issued for working as a teacher, then there may well be no reason for the labour dept to view his degree.

One (English) senior production manager at a factory here left school when he was 16. It is simply not an issue with some work permits depending under what occupation the application is made.

Edited by Briggsy

Adding even more confusion to the issue, we can name people without a bachelor's degree who are still teaching with a work permit in government schools, as secondary classroom teachers, far from BKK. But that's the exception that proves the rule, and is becoming even more rare lately. Once you start talking about advanced teaching, working for a teaching agency, teaching in a bilingual school, etc., you're back to needing a BA, BS, or even BEd.

Really? I contacted Siam Legal and they told me that if I got my visa changed into a non-im "O" in Thailand I couldn't get a work permit but if I got it outside of Thailand I could get a work permit.

Did they give me incorrect info?

I know for a fact you CAN get a work permit on a Non-Immigrant O visa if the O visa is based on marriage to a Thai national - lots of people have this, including myself.

As for the situation on getting a work permit based on other types of O visas, I don't know.

If you haven't got a b visa you'll have to go somewhere like penang and get one armed with a shed ooad of company paperwork etc. That will only be a single entry. Go back to your home country and you may / should be able to get a 1 year multiple entry b visa. Your b visa will then be extended after you get your WP. You cannot get a WP on an O visa.

As for degree certificate, I cannot help sorry.

This is not the first time this poster has posted totally incorrect information re visas etc. as fact. It is most unhelpful to the many who use this forum as an invaluable source of information.

Ok, I am married to a Thai national and I will not be working as a teacher. So if I understand correctly, I can get my non im "ed" changed to a non "O" and then get the work permit.

I just handed in copies of my passport and all of my visas and extensions yesterday to the company I will be working for and they are going to pass them onto their lawyer and then call me back.

Does anyone know if it is true that I can change my non im "ed" to either a "b" or an "o" in country and is it true that if I change it to an "o" in country I cant get a workpermit? That sounds odd to me, is it a different "o" if you get it inside Thailand as opposed to outside? They would both be for support of a Thai spouse.

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR A FAMILY MEMBER OF A THAI (APPLICABLE ONLY PARENTS, SPOUSE OR CHILD.

In case of no children, the application must be submitted 21 days before visa expiration and Overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted

Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Application for visa. (TM.87)

Copy of passport entries.

4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

In case of, marriage registered in Thailand

• Copy of marriage Certificate(Kor Ror.2)

• Copy of marriage Registeration Papers (Kor Ror.3)

In case of, marriage registered in Thailand

• Copy of marriage certificate

• Copy of the family status registration. (Kor Ror.22) (Issued by the district office in Thailand)

A copy of the letter form The Embassy or Consulate certify in that the applicant is single.

Copy of I.D. card and house registration papers of the Thai national.

Birth Certificate or medical letter certifying pregnancy, or pregnancy report booklet.(Showing parents’ name)

Wedding ceremony picture.(if any)

Remarks

The applicant must sign to certify every page of application.

The visa Applicant must arrange the documents in proper order and must prepare the originals as proof.

In case of, the applicant and Thai national already have had children. The name of parents shown in birth certificate must be correctly spelling and match with passport and ID card.

Call 02-2873101-10 ext.2237, 02-287-4948 for details.

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATTION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-B ): WORK OR BUSINESS

The application must be submit at least 21 days before visa expiration and, in case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted.

Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Application for visa. (TM.87)

Copy of passport entries.

4 X 6 cm photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

Company letter requesting for visa or visa status alteration. (Specifying name, position, education and job experience of the applicant)

Employment contract. (Download from Labor Dept. website)

A letter of guarantee to certify commercial registration. (Copy)

Company registration certificate. (Copy)

The lists of company board of directors/share holders. (Copy)

Vat registration certificate and (Copy)

The latest financial statement. (Balance sheets ; Profit & loss statement) (Copy)

Company income tax or trading tax returns

In case of, new opening company which has no finance statement and revenues form (Phor ngo dor 50) or only the revenues from page 5 section 3, no water supply and electric bills, the owner must show the water, electric and telephone bills.

Documents Evidence Of Education ; Job Experience of Alien. (Certified by Embassy or Consulate and Ministry of Foreign Affairs.) (Copy)

List of personal income tax of Thai employee (Phor ngo dor 1) for last 3 months. (Copy)

Showing 7-10 picture of the company must be shown the name of the company, working area, or the building which showing the type of the job.

Map of the company

In case of the company supported by BOI, a letter from BOI is required for changing visa.

Remarks

The applicant must sign on every page of the applicant’s papers.

The company authority must sign to certify all documents and have them stamped with the company seal.

The visa applicant must arrange the documents in proper order and must prepare the originals as proof.

Call 02-2873101-10 ext.2237, 02-287-4948 for details.

Thank you everyone

Do you know if I alter my visa inside of Thailand to an "O" for support of a Thai spouse can I get a work permit? This is what I thought I would do but I got a bit nervous when I got an email from Siam Legal stating that if I get the "O" inside of Thailand I can't get a work permit but if I get it outside of Thailand I can get one.

I know many people have already said that they have gotten a work permit on an "O" but has anyone got a work permit on an "o" they got inside of Thailand? Is there any difference between an "o" you get from immagration in Thailand and the one you get from outside?

Edited by CWMcMurray

Do you know if I alter my visa inside of Thailand to an "O" for support of a Thai spouse can I get a work permit

At this point, I believe it becomes important to know the current status of your permission to stay in Thailand.

1. Did you enter on a tourist visa? If so, then you apply for a change of your visa status to non-O, then apply for an extension of stay to live with Thai wife.

2. Did you enter on a non-B visa? Then you just apply for an extension of stay to live with Thai wife. No change of visa status necessary.

3. Are you currently on an extension of stay for employment? Then you just apply for a new extension of stay, this time for the reason to live with Thai wife. No change of visa status necessary.

In all three cases, the labour department will allow you to apply for a work permit. If your lawyer says the opposite, he is wrong, in my opinion. Others have done it, according to their posts, and there has been no report of procedures having been changed recently.

--

Maestro

CWMcMurray, I was tempted to suggest that you contact Sunbelt, a legal firm sponsoring this forum and often giving useful advice here, but seeing that your company’s lawyer is handling your case Sunbelt may not want to interfere.

--

Maestro

This means you are on an extension of stay for study. I believe you cannot get a work permit with this type of extension. Therefore, before applying for the work permit, you should apply for a new extension of stay, this time for the reason to live with your Thai wife.

Of course, if your employer, on the lawyer’s advice, wants to give you an all-expenses-paid trip to a city with a Thai consulate, you should accept it gratefully, but for the work permit it is not necessary.

--

Maestro