Uk Visitor, Best Way To Bring Holiday Money?

julian

Hi,

Coming over to Bankok in August from Uk. Would like the advice of your good selves on the best way to bring holiday spending money.

Is it best to bring UK travellers cheques, US travellers cheques or UK cash or Thai Baht. I know each has its benefits and drawbacks but what have you found to be the best. Also will I need Thai money at Bangkok Airport for any taxes, Visa etc on arrival.

I know the wisdom that exists on this forum, so your help please :o

Jules

Although this has been answered many many times I will do so again.

Buy Travellers Cheques from Tesco free of charge.

and/or

Open a Nationwide Flexaccount. Put some money in it and get a Debit Card so you can draw from ATMs in Los free of charge.

Have a nice time........

you need 100 baht for the airport bus in to town , rates are better at the banks in town the next day than at airport . (presuming its a business day ) changing money is always a gamble ,because of changing rates . no need to make things worse .sterling is fine . changing sterling to american dollars (cash ot t.c . ) and then from american dollars to baht is completely unnecessary . you will lose out that way .so if you feel the need to bring t.c ,bring in sterling . atm cards accepted all over thailand .

Julian,

you mentioned Thai baht. Do not buy baht in UK. The current exchange rate here is 74 and a bit. You'll get nothing like that and pay commission in UK.

Open a Nationwide Flex Account, put money in there and bring card which will work in any ATM and you get an excellent rate. Bring credit card as backup/emergency and keep the two cards well apart.

You'll have a few quid in sterling in your wallet that you can change at the airport for immediate use. A tenner should be plenty.

Derek

Hi,

Many thanks for all the sensible advice, this forum is just so ###### useful. :o

I may have left it too late to open a nationwide account, it seems the consensus is to bring sterling to change over in Bangkok and some travellers cheques for safety. Does that make sense?

So now i have sorted money out, where is the best place to book days out?

We are staying near the Sukhamet Road and are there for 5 nights. Is it best just to wander about or are there any tour operators who are honest and can be relied upon to give good value for money.

Julian

Don't forget to hang on to enough Baht at the end of your visit to pay your way out of the country. Someone can correct me but I believe it is now 700-Baht per person at the Airport as your exit fee. Has to be paid in Thai Baht.

kenk3z

no idea what time your flight arrives, most of them from the USA arrive near midnight so you have to change at the airport.

the Airport rate is pretty good compared to rates at most airports (Heathrow, gatwick or USA ones)

10 quid is probably not enough , the taxi will be 200-300 baht or so , plus some food/drink before you find a bank., 20-30quid will do you for a day without Hotel cost

The airport bus is fine , but it will not drop you off at your hotel , and at 90F and 10 hour + flight you might want a hotel drop-off.

Just make sure your Taxi uses the meter, and during the day its best to use the expressway even though it costs a little more.

Have Fun 1

Still 500 baht for the exit fee.

Do not buy any duty-free at the airport on the way out - everything is cheaper in the normal shops in BKK.

Where are you staying? Most hotels have a tourist desk for tours to the temples / palaces / floating market / Rose Garden. May not be the cheapest, but you will be picked up and dropped at your hotel.

I know the wisdom that exists on this forum, so your help please :o

Jules

What a kiss-ass.

And apart from this stupid post - he got good advice.

• 6 months later...

Fine as a backup (assuming you know the PIN for your debit / credit card, and, for debit cards, that it's got a Cirrus logo on it, and not just a Switch card).

However, poor FX rates on withdrawals/spending abroad (except from the Nationwide Building Society), and cash advance charges from credit cards means it's primarily a good backup. Also, where traveller's cheques will usually get replaced where you are (i.e. in Thailand) if lost/stolen, a debit/credit card will usually only be delivered to your home address (i.e. back in the UK), so you can't rely on them as your sole source of funds.