A Pattayan Raises hel_l In Bangkok...

Weho

This incident took place a few weeks ago at an international airline office in Bangkok. Since I feel it is a person's DUTY to expose fraud, theft, corruption, etc., I would like to relay this short incident here, for other Pattayans to know, who perhaps can be better consumers in the future.

We Pattayans are a special breed, as you know. Some of us feel a need to get out of town from time to time, I usually end up in Bangkok, cause I like taking the public bus (always get TWO seats!!), and I like "training" bus personnel about the farang's needs.

In any event, I had to go to an airline office, which I did over the phone, and said I would pick up the ticket in their office a week later. By the time I went to their office, I decided I needed to change one flight segment date. (I was redeeming one of those "award tickets", Bangkok/USA/Bangkok, which are generally quite changable). In the office, the bi-yatch tells me, "it will cost you $50 to change your ticket"... I said, "I didn't know there was a charge now, just show me in the terms and conditions/contract of carriage, where that fee is disclosed, and I will promptly pay it"... Well, after 30 minutes of them searching and discussion, the bi-yatch tells me, "it's not there, but everyone just pays it"... I said, "oh really, you mean you just make up amounts, and extort that from people, and they just trust you, and they just pay it?" And the bi-yatch says, "yes, everyone pays". I said, "oh really... wow, [the sheep] just pay... whatever you make up, they 'just pay'"... And the bi-yatch says, "yes, they don't ask questions, they just pay..." Good grief.

I insisted they find the verbiage, call the U.S. office, or they would "face the consequences" in a Small Claims Court case. They could care less about that, but I believe I conveyed to them that I could make some administrative hel_l for them somehow, (which I know is true). FINALLY, she says, "I found it"... and she was kvelling that she thought she could prove the farang wrong. She even highlighted in yellow where it said, "THere is a $50 fee to change U.S. origination award tickets". I said, "honey, it's NOT "U.S. origination"... this is meaningless... She "lost face", and was devistated, so the bi-yatch just blurts out, "well, it's the same, and it's $50". Finally, she just says, "but I'll waive it for you, one time, and I'll note in your account, it's been waived, for one time only"...

I said, "you will waive it as many times as I ask, until you change your printed terms/contract of carriage, that you file with the U.S. government". Then she gives me this look of death.

So the moral of this touching story is NOT to trust thieves, no matter how fancy their office is. I sent off a complaint letter to the airline's office, and I'm sure they will change their printed terms, so basically I've done a lot of free work for them, without compensation. But I will also make a complaint with the Federal Aviation officials, who will do nothing, but keep records... if they get enough similar complaints on the same subject, they sometimes DO fine the airlines... but EVERYONE has to complain. So i did my part to make this a better world for everyone else, selflessly... like the little angel I am.

(Did you noticed I changed back my avatar? the Spinning thing was just too annoying, even by my standards).

Which airline?

AFAIK, both UA and NW charge fees for issuing award tickets, changing award tickets prior to or after the first flight segment (if allowed) and charge to cancel awards and redeposit the miles. UA waives some/all of these fees for certain higher status (1K/GS) members, not sure about NW/WP. These fees are detailed in the award sections of the airline's frequent flier program website(s). These fees have been implemented over the past 3 years or so, presumably to recoup some of the costs associated with the award ticketing processes. Agents can waive fees based on any number of criteria including having to deal with an annoying or rude customer.

UA/MP's Award Fee structure.

My guess is that the agent was correct but may have found it challenging to detail the fee structure for any number of reasons: poor training, fear of you, miscommunication, etc.

Based on my read of the OP's situation, and if it were a UA/MP issued award ticket, the fee for a date change only would be:

Date change (same itinerary and flights but for a different date):

$ 0

($50 for award travel made 7 - 13 days prior to departure)

($75 for award travel made six days or less prior to departure)

So if the change were made 14 or more days prior to departure, there would not be a fee. If the change were made between 7 and 13 days prior to departure the fee would $50, and if made 6 days or less prior to departure the fee would be $75.

Edited by lomatopo

AFAIK, both UA and NW charge fees for issuing award tickets, changing award tickets prior to or after the first flight segment (if allowed) and charge to cancel awards and redeposit the miles. UA waives some/all of these fees for certain higher status (1K/GS) members, not sure about NW/WP.

Northwest waives these fees for Platinum Elites.

If the offending airline is UA and the OP is awaiting a response, let alone rectification of the shortcomings in their service, they will have a long wait.

Last summer I had a o/w Houston-BKK booked for a Saturday morning departure. I called my travel agents 24-hour hotline late Friday and requested to change to a Sunday departure depending on availability and they confirmed that it was possible. As usual with my agent and UA and changes at short notice, a new itinerary and ticket was charged with the canceled itinerary charge normally being refunded within a few working days. Never had problems with this before.

When I checked in at Houston, I was told that the San Francisco to Narita sector was oversold but they would 'sort that out' when I got to SFO. At SFO, I see the problem. It's the last weekend of Japanese school holidays! There's no way any of these kids are interested in a delayed departure or upgrade regardless of the $$ being offered by the UA gate staff. So they offer me an upgrade to Business and to fly via Beijing instead using UA and CA, arriving in BKK only 1 hour later. They also give me $200 in vouchers for the inconvenience. I flew, made the connections and all was well.

A month later my accountant points out 2 airfare charges so I contact the travel agent and they get on to UA. It appears that because my cancellation had been outside UA office hours, the canceled booking was still 'live' in their system on Sunday morning. The stressed out SFO desk clerk booked my rerouted travel on the 'canceled' reservation (and accordingly a separate ticket number) so I had used sectors from 2 different tickets. UA policy (as explained to me) is if any single sector of a multi-sector ticket is flown, then the whole ticket is considered used. Now for the interesting bit. UA's customer service is 100% outsourced in India, no great surprise there. After several emails between all 3 concerned parties, UA finally admitted that it was physically impossible for a single person to depart on 2 separate flights the same day from SFO. But here's the rub. There was no way that the customer service agent could tell the 'system' that. It showed me on 2 flights so I get charged for 2 flights, end of story. They felt sorry but 'all they can do' is give me another $200 in vouchers. Of course all these vouchers are valid for 1 year, non-extendable, non-refundable and non-transferable. They just expired, unused as they are worthless really.

There is no mailing address on the UA website for customer service issues, only phone and email, both of which go to India. So I can't write and explain the impossible reasons for the double charge to US-based customer service rep.

I will be burning up my accrued UA miles this year but transferring my paid flying allegiance to TG as I value the choices on the Star Alliance network.

Singapore airlines allows you to make reservations for an e-ticket online. In fact they encourage it by giving a 15% discount off the number of airmiles required.

Not only can you make an awards reservation, choose your seat and specify your dietry requirements but you can make changes free of charge up to 24 hours before the flight.

SIA often scores very well in surveys of customer satisfaction.

Its my favourite airline but mainly for the seat pitch (bigger than many) and cabin service. Usually beyond reproach.

Its also a member of the Star Alliance so you can use other airlines if you prefer including Thai and United. The online booking only applies to SIA as far as I know.