E-machines

Padkapow Guy

I can get a really good deal on an e-machine T3265 $449.00

amd xp 3200+ / 2.2 ghz

512 mb ddr / 160 gb hdd

dvd +/-rw

windows xp

Does anyone have any experience with emachines? good or bad.

I heard the were a spin off of gateway and gateway is not doing so good now.

any info will help

thanks

PKG

the only e-machines i have worked on have been just good basic machines. the only complaint I ever had with them was they were not really hugely upgadeable. Short mother board etc etc.

with that price it is probably on board video, you might want to check the Mobo has an AGP slot for installation of a video card later on, and check how many PCI slots are on the mother board and compare that to your needs.

PKG

Have one of the first eMachines (eTower-300) ever made, and it has been a gem. No problems what-so-ever.

eMachine was a company started back in the late 90's by two Korean companies, a monitor manufacturer named KDS (Korea Data Systems) and TriGem, a motherboard designer/manufacturer. Both have been in business for decades, and were (are) suppliers of these products to IBM, Dell, Epson and many others.

eMachine, in my opinion, was responsible for bringing the cost of computers within reach of the general public. At the time of its introduction, the cheapest computer system cost about $1,000. eMachine offered a simular system for $500. In less than 6 months, eMachine went from "unknown" to the number 2 computer manufacturer in the world.

Several months ago, eMachine was bought by Gateway (for about $250 million) to give Gateway access to retail stores (in USA such as BestBuy, CompUSA, Circuit City, Costco and others). Gateway's previous "factory-owned" retail store attempt had proven unsuccesful.

I personally would not hesitate in purchasing another eMachine. Many of the components, such as Hard Drives, CD-Roms, etc. come from major manufacturers such as Samsung, Seagate and Toshiba.

The only caution I would add is, not regarding eMachine, but the processor itself. If you are running any very old software, such as for accounting, medical, etc., I know of several people who had problems with the AMD processors. The software would run OK when using an Intel processor, but not one with an AMD processor. As eMachine builds machines with both AMD and INTEL processors, would suggest you test-drive any of your very old software, to insure compatability.

Cheers and good luck with your new machine.

PKG

Have one of the first eMachines (eTower-300) ever made, and it has been a gem. No problems what-so-ever.

eMachine was a company started back in the late 90's by two Korean companies, a monitor manufacturer named KDS (Korea Data Systems) and TriGem, a motherboard designer/manufacturer. Both have been in business for decades, and were (are) suppliers of these products to IBM, Dell, Epson and many others.

eMachine, in my opinion, was responsible for bringing the cost of computers within reach of the general public. At the time of its introduction, the cheapest computer system cost about $1,000. eMachine offered a simular system for $500. In less than 6 months, eMachine went from "unknown" to the number 2 computer manufacturer in the world.

Several months ago, eMachine was bought by Gateway (for about $250 million) to give Gateway access to retail stores (in USA such as BestBuy, CompUSA, Circuit City, Costco and others). Gateway's previous "factory-owned" retail store attempt had proven unsuccesful.

I personally would not hesitate in purchasing another eMachine. Many of the components, such as Hard Drives, CD-Roms, etc. come from major manufacturers such as Samsung, Seagate and Toshiba.

The only caution I would add is, not regarding eMachine, but the processor itself. If you are running any very old software, such as for accounting, medical, etc., I know of several people who had problems with the AMD processors. The software would run OK when using an Intel processor, but not one with an AMD processor. As eMachine builds machines with both AMD and INTEL processors, would suggest you test-drive any of your very old software, to insure compatability.

Cheers and good luck with your new machine.

Thanks

I just ordered it. Sold my old pc for half the costs. What a good day.