E-mail Problem

Zodiac

Would be most grateful and appreciative for some assistance and advice re an email problem I am experiencing, and hopefully it can be understood my computer knowledge is very limited, hence this posting.

Have a maxnet broadband connection and with it a maxnet email address.

In recent weeks/months some emails in particular from a sender in UK from "idnetfreemail" either delayed in arriving or simply just not arriving at all.

So started using Yahoo and Hotmail addresses to receive my mail.

A few days ago mail sent from idnetfreemail not arrive in any of my email addresses,namely,the maxnet email nor the Yahoo or Hotmail ones.

Thought it may a problem at the idnetfreemail end since a Yahoo address was opened by the sender and messages from that address arrived to all my emails ok.

(and the sender thought it was a problem his end as initially he tested from his Yahoo to idnetfreemail and appeared to be a problem that end)

However overnight the idnetfremail sender got "delayed mail" returns message from idnetfreemail server re the messages sent a day or so before to me.

And I have only now started to receive that mail sent a few days ago from idnetfreemail.

Can anyone shed light on what is going on?

Is it 'simply' maxnet mail flow causing the problem?

And if so, can I assume that a problem with maxnet mail also affects not getting mail into Yahoo and Hotmail?

But if that is the case, why no problem when the sender opens a Yahoo account and sends mail from that account to my emails?

Could it be my computer "blocking" mail from identfreemail?

If so there some way to check this on my computer?

Any other possibilities, suggestions, remedies?

Am truly glad if anyone with knowledge can shed some light on what is going on.

Thank you kindly in advance.

Edited by Zodiac

I don’t know if it’s related to your problem but I get similar problems every now and then. The net seems to go through its problem stages.

Last week I had a series of hotmail emails fail to deliver to an AOL address. A few weeks ago Hotmail and Yahoo emails to Thaimail either failed to deliver or were delayed. At other times AOL emails vanish without trace.

I do notice when emails go missing there are reports of the internet being slow or having problems with damaged cables etc.

Noticed over the past year that mail I have sent to a friend, 50% of the time is delayed or fails, that is the only one....... No idea of the reason other than 1x PC has XP the other has Linux

Could that be a reason ?

I recommend Gmail. It works.

As for the maxnet problems - don't use it, who knows how screwed up their systems are.

For hotmail, yahoo - yahoo has been working fine for me, but if you don't get some emails check the spam folders and/or try turning off spam filtering.

GMail spam filter has been flawless so far - only a handful of real spam messages get through every month, and it hasn't so far classified any non-spam mail as spam. I find that pretty impressive.

If your friends emails get to you fine if they send it from yahoo or hotmail, then the other email server is not working well just have them find a better email service. If they don't want web based email like yahoo or hot mail there are purhaps 1000 or more other pop mail services around. I still use both yahoo and hotmail because I don't want to change my address, but if my mail was not getting sent I would change right away.

Just a posting to thank the members who kindly and helpfully posted replies to my problem, namely, Farma, Ignis, Nikster, Peter 991, and RKASA.

Incidentally the sender contacted the email company he uses who said "we had a problem with our email server which has now been resolved".

(It was a bank holiday weekend when this matter arose).

So it appears RKASA had it right.

Anyhow good luck to you all, and in particular interesting web site Peter.

Have a nice day,

:o

Edited by Zodiac

I recommend Gmail. It works.

I use GMail for Domains, and am generally happy with it, but I end up with frequent disconnections over GPRS and it seems like many of the ISPs start to throttle data to Google.

To the OP, it sounds like spam blocking combined with service reliability. E-Mail is only so reliable; if it is someone you communicate with frequently for critical communications, an alternative method might work better, even IM or Google Talk work more reliably if it is real-time communication. Another option is a B2B extranet type site where you can send posts like on Thai Visa (but secured and requiring log-in to get the messages).

On the whole, and no thanks to Spam, we are approaching the limits of what E-Mail can do today. Other options really help round out the process.