La Scala - Sukothai

jbowman1993

I took my wife out on Friday for a special dinner. Since her favorite is Italian, I decided to make it a special night and go all out.

We ate at La Scala - the Italian Restaurant at the Sukothai Hotel on Sathorn Road. It was, without exaggeration, the greatest dining experience I have ever had. Let me qualify this remark. I have been to my fair share of great restaurants in and around Bangkok. I've eat at Angelini's and several other quality Italian place. But, this restaurant blew them all away.

Bill for 2, with wine was B5,000. Not cheap, but for the experience, not overpriced either. Service was impeccible, as was the atmosphere. Sukothai is one of my favorite of the Bangkok 5 stars. They decorating has always struck me as stylish and and elegant, with the right amount of Thai influence, without being gaudy.

We had antipasto - amazing, pizza margharita - same, two kinds of pasta - my wife and a pasta with a lamb meat saffron sauce, i had a lobster fettacine (Sp) with a sauce that I can still taste 4 days later. Warm half baked chocolate cake for desert. They also brought us several complemetary items during the meal. Amazing bread, or course, a salmon mousse, and some wonderful cookies at the end.

At the price, its not an everyday dining experience for us, but we will be going back with our funds permit, lol

JB

• 2 years later...

There are several good Italian restaurants in Bangkok, but none quite come up to the bar established, and more importantly, maintained, at La Scala. For awhile Calderazzo was giving them some real competition but I've seen standards slip at the latter over the last couple of years.

For informal Italian, I enjoy La Bottega di Luca on Soi 49. Luca's also has an Italian deli with antipasto, and more, to go.

Edited by SpoliaOpima