Changing Thai Plugs To Uk Plugs

nephilim

I've recently moved back to the UK and I'm changing the Thai plugs to UK three pin plugs. The wires in the thai appliances seem to have one grey wire and a black wire. Normally in the UK the black wire is the neutral wire.

Is this the case in Thailand too? I know that colours can vary from country to country... could someone confirm?

I've recently moved back to the UK and I'm changing the Thai plugs to UK three pin plugs. The wires in the thai appliances seem to have one grey wire and a black wire. Normally in the UK the black wire is the neutral wire.

Is this the case in Thailand too? I know that colours can vary from country to country... could someone confirm?

You don't mention what the appliances are, but when you consider a Thai 2 pin plug can be inserted either way into a socket, the polarity of the wires shouldn't be of importance to the operation. The omission of a ground connection also suggests the equipment is screened, so a shock hazard shouldn't be present.

geoffphuket

You don't mention what the appliances are, but when you consider a Thai 2 pin plug can be inserted either way into a socket, the polarity of the wires shouldn't be of importance to the operation. The omission of a ground connection also suggests the equipment is screened, so a shock hazard shouldn't be present.

geoffphuket

I wouldn't count on this

geoffphuket

I wouldn't count on this

So which way around do you insert your 2 pin plugs ? :D

I just plug my thai plugs into the back of one of those uk shaver plugs that have two holes in the back. so can use them in either country.

I used to do that until the 1 amp fuse in the shaver plug instantly blew when I plugged it in!

I just plug my thai plugs into the back of one of those uk shaver plugs that have two holes in the back. so can use them in either country.

I used to do that until the 1 amp fuse in the shaver plug instantly blew when I plugged it in!

Had the same problem. A lot of appliances (laptop, external DVD drive etc) will not work with a 1 amp fuse in a shaver plug. You'll need a 13 amp fuse. Maplin Electronics sell them and the adaptors when you are back in the UK. They are about 3 Pounds odd. You can get the non-fused adaptors in Panthip for about 30THB each before you go back though.

No, you will not need a 13 amp fuse unless you are running a big electric heater.

A 5 amp fuse is plenty for most appliances up to 100 watts.

Whilst not in the UK, we met similar problems. I bought a few Thai power boards & set them with Aussie 3 pin plugs & took some Aussie power boards over, reset with Thai plugs. No problem in either country.

To answer the OPs original question, black is live, white is neutral, if there is a green wire it should be ground (US standard).

That said, I've had some odd arrangements of core colours (including one where the black was ground!!). The best way to be certain is to cut off the Thai plug, then you can buzz through with your meter to see which colour goes to which pin. Remember a Thai 3 pin socket has live on the left as you look into the socket with ground at the top, look here for clarification http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/plugs.html

As others have noted, if the appliance has a 2 pin plug then the polarity SHOULDN'T matter, but watch for single pole switches on lights that can leave the holder hot when switched off.

EDIT If at all possible avoid using the unfused adaptors (they would be illegal anyway), you are exposing your appliance to the 30 Amp breaker in the consumer unit with no other protection. A 5 Amp fuse in a shaver adaptor will work fine, don't be tempted to put a 13A fuse in a shaver adaptor and then run your grill off it, the insides of the adaptor aren't up to it, smoke, smells or worse could result.

Edited by Crossy

geoffphuket

That comment made me laugh.

You can buy toasters in Thailand which have a steel case and they are fitted with 2 pin plugs !

Naka.

Edited by naka

To answer the OPs original question, black is live, white is neutral, if there is a green wire it should be ground (US standard).

That said, I've had some odd arrangements of core colours (including one where the black was ground!!). The best way to be certain is to cut off the Thai plug, then you can buzz through with your meter to see which colour goes to which pin. Remember a Thai 3 pin socket has live on the left as you look into the socket with ground at the top, look here for clarification http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/plugs.html

As others have noted, if the appliance has a 2 pin plug then the polarity SHOULDN'T matter, but watch for single pole switches on lights that can leave the holder hot when switched off.

EDIT If at all possible avoid using the unfused adaptors (they would be illegal anyway), you are exposing your appliance to the 30 Amp breaker in the consumer unit with no other protection. A 5 Amp fuse in a shaver adaptor will work fine, don't be tempted to put a 13A fuse in a shaver adaptor and then run your grill off it, the insides of the adaptor aren't up to it, smoke, smells or worse could result.

Hey what's with *answering the question*??? That's not on.

Take all our fun away.