Mens Barber

true blue

You never get good haircuts in taverns (saloons) or British sedans (saloons). :o If you aren't getting your 500 baht's worth in the top places, why not try a 50 baht barber shop? For example, in ChangPuak neighborhood, in front of the roundabout and next to the police box (close to the YMCA), is a straight guy who gives good 50 baht haircuts, and he's been there since he was probably charging 30 baht.

Believe it or not, my barber of six years, died a couple of months ago and I just learned of it Friday when I went in to get my usual great haircut for 60 Baht.

I dread looking around again, as I suffered so many bad cuts until I found this guy.

Thanks, PeaceBlondie, if I can find your guy I will use him as my first "try". Hopefully my Thai driver will find the shop from your directions.

Any further landmarks you can provide, ie, east or west side of the street, how many meters from the roundabout, etc??

Go past the original Kasem Store and 2 shops before the first traffic light is a barber shop (not the beauty shop a couple of doors before), accross the street from the Siam Commercial Bank and next to Neramit tailor shop. Get the man in the first chair next to the front window, the owner. He does a good job. About 80 baht and I still have both ears after having him cut it for many years.

I go to Suan Dok Barbers (sign is in Thai). It's one of the string right in front of the wat. The price has always been 70 baht for me. Over the last 2 years I've had 5 or 6 guys there cut my hair & only once was I disappointed.

I use the hairdresser that is under my old condo at the back of the Anusarn Markets. She cuts, washes, and blow dries your hair for about 110Baht. She has experience with western hair which cuts differently from Thai.

The address is Soi 1, Charoen Prathet. It is almost diagonally opposite the People Palace Hotel, and next to the ChiangMai Inn. She is a nice lady and does a good job for those of us looking for something a bit better than a "short back and sides".

Other option is that I still have my shearing handpiece and have a handy 200litre drum seat - for 50baht I can do a neat job. Please note: I only do shearing now, you will need to find someone else to do the crutching and mulesing. I also have a special offer on docking and marking.

Hope this helps

CB :o

PTE, that barber is at the Santeetam circle (pronounced like 'cycle') next to police box. That is also called Ha Yak intersection (five point intersection) . Try to say "Ha Yak, santetam" to the tuk tuk driver. I'm not an expert on haircuts, but I've used him several times in the past few years, and he never has disappointed me. My hair is very thick and long, and he knew how to cut it. His shop is not close enough to the YMCA to use that as a landmark, but when you face the shop, the police box is right across the soi to your right.

Mucho Gracias Peaceblondie for the superb directions. My driver for the run to your barber will be more of a "fut fut" driver than a tuk tuk, but then you know about such "drivers" don't you!

I am planning on the haircut for Friday. By the way, my hair is worn full, straight back and the only cutting required is length and thinning on the sides. Some taper would be nice but I can't see in the back normally, so I usually surrender that portion of my head to the barber If I were to gather my hair in a pony tail, it would be about an inch long past the rubber band, if that is what pony tail guys use. My hair is not thick like yours, but is wavy when not long so has mystified many a barber when he thinks he is cutting straight hair, but when he is finished, is confronted with many depressions into which he erroneously cut into.

My recently deceased barber knew well how to use thinning shears and I will take a pair with me to your barber as a back up if he doesn't use them. I know barbers can "thin" hair without thinning shears, but many do not know how.

Again many thanks, I will give your guy every opportunity and at least three cuts to learn my head, as the alternative is a saga I do not want to live through.

By far the best in my experience is the one on the slip road into Talad Tom Payom from the klong road.

Hair cut or crew cut 40 Baht

as above plus straight razor face and neck shave 50 baht

all above plus 10 minute scalp, neck, and shoulders massage 60 baht

plus if you go for the shave, he uses this amazing banana scented shaving gel - very subtle fragrance but stays with you all day and leaves you feeling really refreshed.

Been using him 8 years and never a complaint or problem - he doesn't speak a word of farang but makes sure he knows what you want before he starts.

Gaz

if you are prepared to pay go to Tom Lane's shop on (I think) third floor of Airport Plaza - there are two Tom Lane shops in AP - it is the original shop you want - not the one which is clearly designed for young dolly birds and is at the top of one of the escalators;

ask for Mim (and make sure you get Mim). She speaks English, is very pretty and chatty (bonus), and does an excellent farang cut ... as always be explicit about how you want your hair cut - she will understand ..... well, at least she understands me (and, seemingly, her French boyfriend - lucky sod)

My recollection it is in the 200-300 thB range with two shampoos and a cut and a bit of style ............

60 baht short back and sides, all the barbers next to Wat Suan Dok on Suthep Rd.

Is short back and sides the same as high slope back and sides?

How do u say that in thai?

dtatL phohmR theeF khaangF laeH langR sanF

or

laatF suungR ?

I wouldn't attempt to tell a Thai how to cut my hair, using Thai language. My worst haircut was in a salon in Houston where the stylist and I were both bilingual, and she ignored my instructions in both languages. I would probably tell the barber here, "Why do cows wear dresses when they jump into the klong?" :o