Thai Customs/import Tax

UnknownPoster

My $60 worth of bike parts arrived.

Got hit for 3,300bt import duty.

Last month they got me for 20,000t on a $500 shipment.

What a ripoff.

150% duty on $60! Seems a little high. :D

Should've supported your local industry and bought a Thai knock-off. :o

What a ripoff.

We had a similar problem with Thai customs while moving about $400 worth of stuff in my Thai wife's name. Even though we lived two years out of the country, they refused to honor the Thai law which allows Thai nationals living out of the country for one year a duty free status....This agency needs to be investigated but I know that is a fantasy....and if caught, people will just be reassigned!!!!The problem is they have all the power because if you refuse to pay they just keep your stuff.....................In Xiamen,China when the head of customs was found to be corrupt, they just executed him! There's no problem there now......

What a ripoff.

We had a similar problem with Thai customs while moving about $400 worth of stuff in my Thai wife's name. Even though we lived two years out of the country, they refused to honor the Thai law which allows Thai nationals living out of the country for one year a duty free status....This agency needs to be investigated but I know that is a fantasy....and if caught, people will just be reassigned!!!!The problem is they have all the power because if you refuse to pay they just keep your stuff.....................In Xiamen,China when the head of customs was found to be corrupt, they just executed him! There's no problem there now......

bizarre, but not unexpected with customs. We shipped our personal belongings lock stock and barrel under my name from the UK to here under my name (Thai PP holder). Got through no worries with Transpro/Asian Tigers. Having said that, I suspect that they would have had an existing ''arrangement with customs to ensure that all their customers are handled quickly and painlessly.

Was each parcel accompanied by a correct customs declaration?

--

Maestro

That makes sense...... :o

You were out of the country 12 months too long.

Edited by gburns57au

what are the official rates supposed to be?
Thats laughable,. i imported a set of wheels ,cost 121 pounds, import taxes ? 7500 baht, and the DHL lady insisted it was 15 per cent, she has a different calculator to me !,.DO NOT use DHL/FEDEX they are on a profit sharing scheme with c and e im positive,. the truth is they charge tax on the shipping cost, and charge up to what this item costs in thailand so that you dont do it again ,.. Edited by mikethevigoman

…the truth is they charge tax on the shipping cost…

That’s correct. Import duty is assessed on the CIF value (cost, insurance and freight) The same is true in Switzerland, and probably also in many other countries. There is nothing irregular about that.

--

Maestro

…the truth is they charge tax on the shipping cost…

That's correct. Import duty is assessed on the CIF value (cost, insurance and freight) The same is true in Switzerland, and probably also in many other countries. There is nothing irregular about that.

--

Maestro

They didnt beleive the shipping cost on one of my consignments and did their own ! it was double, It will pay us all to remember ,customs here unlike most countries we are from is a business set up to extract as much as possible from you,..its very disheartening, beware,.

yeah i got a bill for 4000 baht for £30 worth of protein that was being resent to me free of charge because my originall order got messed up. I didnt pay it and told them to send it back to customs and sort out there maths. we had a sheet with all the maths on it and when they convert the dollar to the baht they seem to double the value and then work the tax out on that.

yeah i got a bill for 4000 baht for £30 worth of protein that was being resent to me free of charge because my originall order got messed up. I didnt pay it and told them to send it back to customs and sort out there maths. we had a sheet with all the maths on it and when they convert the dollar to the baht they seem to double the value and then work the tax out on that.
I have a better one, i sent a set of leather to the uk for a vehicle, it was wrong so i had the guy return it to me, i told them a 100 times it originated here and was returned,( i had the ems receipt from the same address it was posted back from ) as i had no export licence the rules didnt apply, 14000 baht duty !.. i nearly told them to keep it . they just wear you down ,.they have all the time in the world,.

I haven't had anything shipped to me since 8 years ago when they bruned me for 3 climbing ropes I had shipped from Oregon. The ropes were worth $120, but Customs wanted twice that for duty. I got on the phone and raised hel_l, and had the amount halved, but it still left a bitter taste in my mouth. Since then I've brought things in as extra baggage when I fly in from overseas. I even brought a $2,000 8-man river raft in (paid $100 at SFO for extra baggage fee) and nonchalantly strolled by customs with nary a wink.

I also had a new DVD/VCD player shipped to me from the States, and there were no Customs, because it came via the P.O. - though I can't recall whether it was shipped airmail or other.

I plan to buy some solar alternative power stuff in the States next I do a r-t. I'll try again walking it through in my luggage and hope no officials get too sniffy with me. Actually, the 2nd hand solar panels will get duct taped together as luggage, and the DC submersible pump will come in a suitcase. Too bad I can't buy such things here in Thailand, but LOS is at least a decade behind the times in the alternative power dept.

I haven't had anything shipped to me since 8 years ago when they bruned me for 3 climbing ropes I had shipped from Oregon. The ropes were worth $120, but Customs wanted twice that for duty. I got on the phone and raised hel_l, and had the amount halved, but it still left a bitter taste in my mouth. Since then I've brought things in as extra baggage when I fly in from overseas. I even brought a $2,000 8-man river raft in (paid $100 at SFO for extra baggage fee) and nonchalantly strolled by customs with nary a wink.

I also had a new DVD/VCD player shipped to me from the States, and there were no Customs, because it came via the P.O. - though I can't recall whether it was shipped airmail or other.

I plan to buy some solar alternative power stuff in the States next I do a r-t. I'll try again walking it through in my luggage and hope no officials get too sniffy with me. Actually, the 2nd hand solar panels will get duct taped together as luggage, and the DC submersible pump will come in a suitcase. Too bad I can't buy such things here in Thailand, but LOS is at least a decade behind the times in the alternative power dept.

I have a friend that brought in 3 motorcycles in suitcases ! in part form of couse and over 3 months

My $60 worth of bike parts arrived. << For part, custom rate is 5% from custom CIF standard price.

What a ripoff.

Edited by LookSaMoon

Somone with better writing skill than I have should pen a letter to the paper demanding an investigation into this.

It's outrageous and has been happening for decades.

Sombody is in charge out there and should be locked up for ripping off the country.

Edited by UnknownPoster

That makes sense...... :o

You were out of the country 12 months too long.

No, the law is at least one year or more..................

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm going to be flying from the US (I connect in Seoul, so flight to BKK is from there) and entering Thailand on a six-month non-immigrant B visa to teach English. I've been to Thailand to teach before, and didn't have to deal with customs at all, but I think my personal possessions this time around might be worth more than last time. This time I'll be bringing my ipod and my digital camera. Will I be charged customs on these personal possessions? It seems like that should be ok, as I'm planning on leaving and reentering Thailand a few more times in the next few years, and it would be silly if I had to pay everytime I left and returned with my ipod... I've already read Thailand's customs website, and couldn't really find much out about this. I know this is probably a sign that this is a stupid question, but I just want to be sure as I don't want to end up in any difficult situation. Yesterday I was reading all kinds of horror stories on here about custom at Suwarnabhumi, and it got me a little worried.

oh, and another possibility: a friend in Thailand would like an iphone (yes I already know it "won't work" over there). If I bought one for him, could I bring it through without paying customs?

Thanks.

Just shipped in 3 Garmin gps units from the states, Marked all as gift $50 each, No problems.

Month before I shipped in a few diesel engine tunes and was levied a tax of 10%import plus 7%vat.

Will be marking everything as gift now, with a low purchase price.

Here is a tip. If you have stuff shipped in by Fedex, DHL, UPS, etc. it is almost a dead certainty that you will be hit for customs duty and other charges. However, if you have it shipped by mail the odds of this drop very significantly. Your best best is to have things shipped in by post using registered mail or some other trackable method.

Hi, I'm going to be flying from the US (I connect in Seoul, so flight to BKK is from there) and entering Thailand on a six-month non-immigrant B visa to teach English. I've been to Thailand to teach before, and didn't have to deal with customs at all, but I think my personal possessions this time around might be worth more than last time. This time I'll be bringing my ipod and my digital camera. Will I be charged customs on these personal possessions? It seems like that should be ok, as I'm planning on leaving and reentering Thailand a few more times in the next few years, and it would be silly if I had to pay everytime I left and returned with my ipod... I've already read Thailand's customs website, and couldn't really find much out about this. I know this is probably a sign that this is a stupid question, but I just want to be sure as I don't want to end up in any difficult situation. Yesterday I was reading all kinds of horror stories on here about custom at Suwarnabhumi, and it got me a little worried.

oh, and another possibility: a friend in Thailand would like an iphone (yes I already know it "won't work" over there). If I bought one for him, could I bring it through without paying customs?

Thanks.

No customs for personal possessions but only for first unit . To avoid custom for iphone, seperate box and make it like it's yours.