Farang Death

jaiyenyen

A young man was killed thisafternoon on Sukhumvit between Soi's 3&5. Although i wasn't there when it actually happened, only saw the aftermath, it would appear he was killed under the wheels of a dirty great cement mixer lorry. I can only assume he was unaware that the flow of traffic can change direction, and he was looking the wrong way when he tried to cross the road. This poor young guy, was probably enjoying a couple of weeks in Thailand, and now he's dead.

As i drove home, i spent my time counting my blessings. I woke up thismorning with problems on my shoulders, thisevening, they are still there, but nowhere near as weighty.

Life is very precious.

My thoughts will be with his family tonight.

A young man was killed thisafternoon on Sukhumvit between Soi's 3&5. Although i wasn't there when it actually happened, only saw the aftermath, it would appear he was killed under the wheels of a dirty great cement mixer lorry. I can only assume he was unaware that the flow of traffic can change direction, and he was looking the wrong way when he tried to cross the road. This poor young guy, was probably enjoying a couple of weeks in Thailand, and now he's dead.

As i drove home, i spent my time counting my blessings. I woke up thismorning with problems on my shoulders, thisevening, they are still there, but nowhere near as weighty.

Life is very precious.

My condolences go out to the young man's family & friends.

My wife got cleaned up by a Taxi driving in an aratic manor there three years ago - when actually following traffic directions from the lights and policemen. Dangerous!

Five days in hospital, three trips to the palstic surgeons. All for an Italian meal which I crave for every now and then.

Soundman.

I was there, nasty business, the cement truck destroye him but I think the fault must be in some part due to the fact that the traffic has 3 lanes going each way bur one lane is sometimes changed to the other direction.

Poor guy lost his head and the saddest part is the 100+ people gawking as he was covered in paper to conceal the injuries, he was there a good few hours.

Not a nice way to go.

Extreemly dangerous crossing there since the lanes on one side go BOTH directions.

People crossing the road don't expect that, only look one way.

I've seen allot of close calls.

Why don't they creat a barrior to prevent accidents?

How many get hurt or killed in that area I wonder?

Life is very precious.

That is so sad.

I am well aware of the flow of traffic there but 1 year ago on the 28th I was hit by a tuk tuk there. He was going through the red light and I was looking at the trafic flow the other way and he seemed to come from nowhere.

I count my blessings too as if I had been 12 inches further off the pavement I doubt I would be here. I was just looking at the lump still on my arm and thigh yesterday in the shower and thinking about it.

There have been a few accidents there that I know of.

By the way this didnt happen at the intersection at soi4 but around 100metres up . Seems he was trying to cross in no crossing area

Crossing Sukhumvit there? I totally misread the OP. Not all that far to soi 4 or the overpass at the Nana station.

Sorry, i didn't make myself clear.

He was trying to cross the road between Soi's 4&5.

Not at the intersection, but about 100m up from there.

It is an extremly dangerous place to cross the road.

I can only think that his brain was in holiday mode.

Very very sad

A pal who was in the area said it was an American around 30'ish

He als had a Thai girl with him and she died in hospital according to my pal

If so its very bad news for two families today.

He was an arab / mediteranean looking dude and he was alone, no one else died in that incident.

He was an arab / mediteranean looking dude and he was alone, no one else died in that incident.

Knowing my pal he probably heard it in the Cathouse and just passed it on then!

Knowing my pal he probably heard it in the Cathouse and just passed it on then!

Cathouse? Wouldn't know about them...... :o

Before crossing the street in Thailand, I look left, right, up and down. Then do it again. But I've been here awhile. Sometimes I do that when I walk out of a shop, as I met a guy who got severely messed up by being hit by a motorbike on the sidewalk.

When I first got here I had a couple of close calls, and even saw a Thai woman killed near the same place as the OP.

I'm used to looking the other way on roads, being from the states. She was just unaware of the odd lane on Suk.

It seems like they could offer reminders on the flights from the states and the continent, "Dude!!! look to right, too."

Phuket and Samui have warnings like this posted, I think.

It'd be a small investment compared to the suffering involved.

The thing I thought was sad is that he was laying there for 4 hours, and covered by paper, it wasn't a crime scene, why didn't they get him taken away faster. Also, why was some <deleted> reporter taking pictures of everything including pulling down the guys pants and photographing the bruising whislt exposing his ass to the world. Surely that kind of post mortem photography is not carried out on the street. The reporter was a westerner too.

Piss poor display.

Any other information on nationality? It always makes me think how horrible it must be for family to hear of a loved one dieing in an accident overseas. Then the issues of getting the body back to the home country, etc. Expense is involved, etc. It's just extremely sad.

Just spoken to one of the guys who lives in my Soi, and he said that it was oneof the most horiffic things he's seen. Apparantly he had jumped over the central reservation and got hit by a huge cement mixer. Worse was the fact that they covered his body up with a bit of carsboard, but many people seemed to be just stood around gawking at the body whilst it was laid there. A really sad incicent, and condolences to the family.

Just spoken to one of the guys who lives in my Soi, and he said that it was oneof the most horiffic things he's seen. Apparantly he had jumped over the central reservation and got hit by a huge cement mixer. Worse was the fact that they covered his body up with a bit of carsboard, but many people seemed to be just stood around gawking at the body whilst it was laid there. A really sad incicent, and condolences to the family.
He is right, I had a look and moved on and when I cam back the same people were still gawking, I don't know what the fascination is myself. So much for going out in a dignified way.

I always use the crosseover over head. The skytrain station are agreat way to get from one side to the other. I never cross in the middle of the block. But i am still sorry for the guy anyway . :o

Going past a University here in Thonburi while classes were getting out and kids were crossing the street my sage mother-in-law (3 years my senior) said, "Even dogs know to use saphan loi (footbridge)"

Nonetheless, my condolences to his family

Edited by jEFFREYk44

Nasty, but quick by the sound of it. A really bad day to be stuck there dying slowly.

Exactly where are we talking about? I know the zebra crossing on the corner close to Toni Romas which is a game of chance at the best of times, or did he hop the wire central devide?

As for the reporter, well i'd like to smash them in the eye for some of the stuff they do here. I was once distressed to see on the news a crash where a huge lorry had hit 2 boys that were on a motobike. All you could see was the top of 2 crushed heads. The reporter zoomed in on the bike's registration plate. Imagine finding out that was your kid in that way. I fume when I see smashed bodies being passed of as news, most of all in a country that censors smoke and guns in what passes for nightly entertainment.

My wife was shocked when she saw her first 'page 3' (ask a Brit), but doesn't put down her spoon when she flicks across murder victims.