Retirement visa - i just received mine!

Hi Board

I am a 50 year old American and on June 19, 2003; I received my One Year Thai Retirement Visa. Finally!

But I think I did everything the hard way.

First, I arrived in Thailand on January 25, 2003 and received a 30 day tourist Visa at Don Muang. On February 19, 2003 I received a 90 day Tourist Visa at Penang, Malaysia.

On April 23, I took my documentation and (letter to certify transfer of 800,000 baht to a Thai bank account) went to the Bangkok Imigration office to apply for my Retirment Visa. They told me that I had to change my Visa to a 90 day, type O Non Immiggrant. Did that. Next I was told to return to Imigration on or about June 23 to receive my Retirement Visa.

Fast forward to June 19, 2003.

I arrived with financial document (balance og 800k baht) and after waiting in line for about one hour, I received my Visa. BUT, the Immigration officer started my year on FEBRUARY 19, 2003 (Date of Penang Toursit Visa.) Huh!?! I couldn't figure this one out, but I didn't argue.

My questions for the board are:

1) Has anyone else had the first year of their Retirement Visa started on the date they first arrived in The Kingdom?

2) At the second year renewal, did anyone have to transfer another 800k Baht to their account or can you just "top up" your account to 800k? I really don't think that I will spend 800k per year.

3) Has anyone successfully applied for the one year Retirement Visa from abroad?

4) About the 90 day reporting requirement, is there a fee? Do they mark your passport to certify that one has reported? If not, how does Immigration know that the farang has dutifuly reported?

Thanks for your feedback!

Lance  :o

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Yes, a one year extension always start from the lasted entry date into the Kingdom.

2. Just top up so it's 800K in the account at the time for the renewal application.

3. No, not very many farangs I reckon'.

4. No fee. You will get the lower part of the application form stapled in the passport, stamped by immigration. Example form for 90 days reporting Note that you must do the report within 90 days of your last entry.

They told me that I had to change my Visa to a 90 day, type O Non Immiggrant. Did that.

Hi Lancealot,

Could you expand on how / where you "Did that" please?

Did you do it in Suan Phlu (BKK Immigration?)

Or did you have to go back to Penang?

All the "Rules" that I have seen say you have to get

your Non O abroad ...

Roger

Hi Roger,

I received my Retirement Visa at the Bangkok Immigration Office.

I think it is better if one can obtian a Non-Immigrant Type "O" Visa abroad, but it is possible to get one in Thailand (I know because I did it that way.)

Anyway, good luck to you. Let me know how it goes, ok?

Lance

Hi Lancelot

In terms of the other documents you  needed:

Did you go to your local police station to get a document stating you had no criminal record?

What sort of check-up did you receive from your doctor to satisfy your medical exam?

Did you transfer your 800,00 baht to a thai bank outside Thailand?

Thanks.

TC

Hi Lance,

Your -  "Did that" referred to:

"They told me that I had to change my Visa to a 90 day, type O Non Immiggrant. "

So my question was where did you - "change my Visa to a 90 day, type O Non Immiggrant. "

Did they do that for you in Bangkok Immigration?

Which part of the Building/Room?

You seem to have made some kind of break-through here ...

Roger

Hi George,

90 day reporting of Residence.

Last time I went to this office - a Thai friend told me

that a notice on the wall said there were some

days of grace - about 10 or 14 - (sorry the Memory

fails me exactly) after the 90 days.

Roger

Hi Lancelot

In terms of the other documents you  needed:

Did you go to your local police station to get a document stating you had no criminal record?

What sort of check-up did you receive from your doctor to satisfy your medical exam?

Thanks.

TC

TC,

About your questions:

1) No, I did not have (and was not asked) for a letter from the police.

2) No physical exam or health documentation.

3) Yes, they made me transfer 800k into Thailand (from my home country) My first transfer was when I received my 90 day Non-Imm Type "O" Visa; the second (smaller) transfer was to bring my Thai Bank account balance back up to 800k (and I received my Retirmement Visa)

Are you sure that the visa from Penang wasn't a Non Immigrant O Visa. There is no such thing as a 90 day

Tourist Visa.  A Non Immigrant Visa is a 90 day stay.

Dr Pat,

I am looking at my passport and the Vias 'sticker" I received at Penang. It says:

Type of Visa - Tourist

Category - TR

Fee - 33 RM

Issued at - PENANG

Date of Issue - 19 Feb, 2003

Date of Expiry - 18 May, 2003

All the best,

Lance

So my question was where did you - "change my Visa to a 90 day, type O Non Immiggrant. "

Did they do that for you in Bangkok Immigration?

Which part of the Building/Room?

You seem to have made some kind of break-through here ...

Roger 13,

I changed my Tourist Visa to a 90 day Type "O" at the Bangkok Immigration office on Soi Suanplu. I forget the room number, but it was located on the third floor, the officer I spoke with is Khun Pallop.

I received my Retirement Visa at the same office (Bkk Imm on Soi Suanplu) Room 102.

All the best,

Lance

LRimmler, Roger & Dr Pat,

One additional note about the 90 day tourist Visa I received in Penang. When I crossed the border by van (from Malaysia) back into Thailand, Immigration stamped my Visa for 60 days. At the time I didn't notice it, but later, at Immigration I asked about it and was told: "Pay 500 baht and extend Visa for 30 days." I tried explaiing that Penang gave me a full 90 days, but (BKK) Immigration wouldn't budge.

Immigration made me extend my 90 day Toursit Visa (stamped for 60 days at the border) before they would process my 90 day type "O" Non-IMM Visa. My GF asked around and it seems that stamping one's Visa for 60 days (at the border) is standard practise.

If/when I go abroad, I am currious if Immigration will try to screw with the date on my Retirement Visa (Feb 19, 2004.)

Any one have any experience with this? (How Don Muang Immigration stamps one's passport upon re-entry to Thailand, if one holds a one year Non-IMM or Retirement Visa.)  

All the best,

Lance

I tried explaiing that Penang gave me a full 90 days, but (BKK) Immigration wouldn't budge.

Penang gave you a single entry tourist visa which can be used to enter any time between the date of issue and 90 days later (that does not mean you can stay in Thailand 90 days).  The entry allowed on a tourist visa is 60 days.  If you want an additional 30 days it can normally be extended without a problem with the payment of 500 baht and filing of an extension request.

The Feb 19, 2004 date will stand as long as you have a valid re entry permit and list it on your new TM6 card when you next enter Thailand (prior to that date).

It is interesting that Lancelot was able to get a Retirement Visa in Thailand without a police report and medical check.  I just had a friend apply for a Retirement Visa in LA and multiple (5) notarized copies of each document were required but he did not have to transfer anything to a Thai bank (he is on Social Security but I don't think his income is enough to match the Thai requirement).  I always thought that you had to apply for a Retirement Visa from your home country but I gather that's not true.  

Does anyone know if you can keep the money in your home country bank and just show proof that you have 800,000 baht saved?

There is a Bangkok Bank branch in New York - I wonder if placing money there would qualify?

It is interesting that Lancelot was able to get a Retirement Visa in Thailand without a police report and medical check.  I just had a friend apply for a Retirement Visa in LA and multiple (5) notarized copies of each document were required but he did not have to transfer anything to a Thai bank

Nope, they never asked for a police report or a physical and I sure as heck din't volunteer to provide any additional documents.

But they did examine my bank information VERY carefully.

Lance

Lancelot....ensure that you get a multiple entry re-entry permit before you travel outside Thailand.

Dr Pat,

I did get my multiple re-entry stamp on the same day that I was granted my Retirement Visa. Thanks for the reminder.

Only 1,000 baht more.

Lance

I tried explaiing that Penang gave me a full 90 days, but (BKK) Immigration wouldn't budge.

Hi Lance,

Just to confirm what Lopburi has written:

The dates on your Tourist Visa Sticker

show that you have 90 days during which you

are permitted to ARRIVE in Thailand.

Visa Type = TOURIST = 60 days STAY in Thailand.

A Tourist Visa is for a Stay of 60 days.

There is no such thing as a 90 day Tourist Visa.

It can be extended at the DISCRETION of Immigration

for UP TO 30 days - but this is restricted to 7 or 10

days for holders of certain passports. It is NOT automatic.

Entry ANYWHERE into Thailand - you will be given

60 days for a TOURIST Visa.

Upon Returning - with a Re-Entry PERMIT

you will get a stamp which says Admitted Until

- and the date will be the expiry date of your

Retirement Visa Extention (and Re-Entry Permit)

Roger

Just to confirm what Lopburi has written:

The dates on your Tourist Visa Sticker

show that you have 90 days during which you

are permitted to ARRIVE in Thailand.

Roger & Lopburi,

Thanks for the clarification.

Lance

Lance and Roger are blessed ....CHOK DEE ...I will share lottery tickets with you two

Hi Lance,

I am not sure why the Dr thinks I am blessed!

But you Certainly are !!!

I just realised that if you entered Thailand

on 19th February with a 60 day Tourist Visa,

it must have already EXPIRED when you

visited Immigration on 23rd April ????

They then let you Extend it ...

AND change it to Type "O" !!!

This MUST be a FIRST ...

I sure would like to share Lottery Tickets with YOU.

Roger

It is interesting that Lancelot was able to get a Retirement Visa in Thailand without a police report and medical check.  I just had a friend apply for a Retirement Visa in LA and multiple (5) notarized copies of each document were required but he did not have to transfer anything to a Thai bank (he is on Social Security but I don't think his income is enough to match the Thai requirement).  I always thought that you had to apply for a Retirement Visa from your home country but I gather that's not true.  

Does anyone know if you can keep the money in your home country bank and just show proof that you have 800,000 baht saved?

There is a Bangkok Bank branch in New York - I wonder if placing money there would qualify?

Hi LRimmler,

Retirement Rules say that you first have to apply for a 90 day

Non-Imm O Visa in your Home Country.

Lance seems to have been very Lucky to get his in Thailand

although I did get mine (on British Passport) in another

Asian Country.

You do not have to transfer any money to get the O Visa

- but you probably have to show that it is available.

To get the initial 9 month extension to the O Visa in Thailand

you have to transfer money to a "Thai Bank" which I have found

to mean a Bank in Thailand - Foreign Banks in Thailand

are acceptable - but the funds have to be in Thai Baht.

Roger

Roger 13 on Non-O

"Lance seems to have been very Lucky to get his in Thailand

although I did get mine (on British Passport) in another

Asian Country.

You do not have to transfer any money to get the O Visa

- but you probably have to show that it is available."

Didn't you have to show some proof of financial standing to get your Non-O in another Asian country?  I did - in Lao.  Also my lawyer tells me it is impossible in his experience to obtain a Non-O in Thailand itself.  Two puzzles above.

I can say that a bank in Thailand is acceptable because I use HSBC (which may be the oldest bank in town but is not Thai).

Steve