Retiring At 40

Hello everyone. What are my options when I retire at the age of 40? I'll be retiring from the USAF with a pension of $2,000 a month. I want to relax for 4-7 months before starting another career. In the next 5 years I'll have $40,000 saved with a retirment plan I've been contributing to, $55,000 with a mutal fund I've been contributing to and I still need to sell a house I've been renting out for the past 6 years. Maybe make only $10,000-15,000 on the house. How will I be able to stay in Thailand for that period of time? Thanks ... zarusoba!

Hello everyone. What are my options when I retire at the age of 40? I'll be retiring from the USAF with a pension of $2,000 a month. I want to relax for 4-7 months before starting another career. In the next 5 years I'll have $40,000 saved with a retirment plan I've been contributing to, $55,000 with a mutal fund I've been contributing to and I still need to sell a house I've been renting out for the past 6 years. Maybe make only $10,000-15,000 on the house. How will I be able to stay in Thailand for that period of time? Thanks ... zarusoba!

Just come here on a non immigrant visa for a year at a time and don't think of staying here in the long term. See the other posts today on retirement.

To get the Non Imm O under the retirement income qualification then you need to be 50+ yrs old.

well you can always get married to a Thai girl and get a Non Imm O visa

or

enroll in a school and get a Non Imm Ed visa or

Continually travel to malaysia etc and get 4 or so Tourist visa's a year. That's kind of iffy how long they will allow that. I myself came on an ED visa at age 44 and that was good for 15 months then I got 4 back to back tourist visa's then back to the states and just received another Non Imm Ed multi entry visa.

If you want to stay in Thailand before retirement age then it take a little creativity.

Other countries where its easier for a younger person to retire would be

Costa Rica, Ecuador, Panama, Argentina, Vietnam, Malaysia if you buy a house,

Good luck :-)

Great information. Why can't things be easy. Me and thousands of others are trying to do it right (legal) and there are so many rules and regulations. Just going to have to play the game ... zarusoba!
We all keep playing it mate, but they like to change the rules.

It is turning into a less and less appealing place to live, me and the Mrs are thinking of going back to Europe and just coming here for a couple of months at a time. Living here full time is starting to be more trouble than it is worth for some people.

Great information. Why can't things be easy. Me and thousands of others are trying to do it right (legal) and there are so many rules and regulations. Just going to have to play the game ... zarusoba!

Well my wife a Thai (and UK) National have been here seven months now. I have a ‘retirement visa’ based on pension. I think that it’s a great place to live but am finding playing golf several days a week a little expensive, we both play. However other things are, as we all know, are a lot cheaper and of course the weather is an attractive part of Thailand. I am completely settled here and have no wish to ever go back to the UK. That country is in a mess with an influx of foreigners isn’t it!

It does appear that Thailand is making things difficult for those who are trying to stay here long term on any other terms. It’s getting pretty clear, from all the postings, that if you are not reasonably well off and over fifty and use the pension route, then Thailand is less keen to have you. It could be because they suspect that you will work ‘on the quite’ who knows.

There are ways around, but what a pain. Zarusoba, you should be able to save something out of $2000 a month and still enjoy your time here. You can make your own mind up about the place in seven months. It could be come back for good when you are fifty!

This looks like it is ‘the hard facts of life’ here in Thailand’. I guess some will disagree but many more will not. I personally, would feel a little insecure, living here if I didn’t have a Thai wife. Guess I could get by but it sure simplifies day to day living. Anyway I wouldn't be without her.