Question Relating To Residence Registration And Arrival Procedures

Hi all,

Firstly my thanks to a great forum – loads of useful info, but unfortunately I can’t readily find the answers I need. :o

Background… I’m currently 46 and I visit using a non-imm “O” multi entry (expiry/last entry by 1st Nov 2007). During my last visit to Thailand, I “donated“ some money to allow my girlfriend to buy a house and land. I then registered a 30 year lease at a “nominal” (but typical for the remote rural area) rate with me as lessor. She got a “Blue” book, and is registered in it as the sole resident. I also got a proof of residence at the local immigration office which allowed me to get a Thai driving licence (1 year). My proof of residence expired on the “exit-by” date in my passport, although the licence is valid for one year.

Question 1. I have just booked a return flight to LOS with a one year ticket. Will this cause any problems at the airport as my return date falls well outside of my visa validity, or will I require proof of return within the 90 day window? (using Qatar Airways)

Question 2. When I arrive in T/L I will be staying a few days in Bangkok before going “home”. Do I give immigration my home as my address, or the address that I’ll be staying at first (with firiends)? When I do finally get home, do I need to register again with the local immigration office? (Within 24 I saw mentioned somewhere!)

Question 3. I am planning to get a visitor visa for my girlfriend, and return together using “new” tickets, before my 90 day visa expires, for a couple of months to the UK. How best to explain the property situation. She has a copy of the Chanote with her as owner, and also a subsequent one (the latest) with me as lessor. She could give them the former copy, or will it best to be totally honest (I can explain this in my sponsorship letter). Also any assistance in drafting sponsorship letter will be most welcome. :D

Question 4. Should I book my return tickets (for both of us), to provide proof of return flight (re Q1), and would this add support to her application?

Question 5. On a few threads I’ve seen mention of a “Yellow” book, but I cannot really understand exactly what this is required for, and whether I could (or even should) get or be registered on one, (or should I be registered in the blue book).

Any advice, or suggestions as to other threads that may give answers will be much appreciated.

Cheers, Steve

PS. If anyone feels it would be better in another topic area (eg. travel/visa's , etc. please feel free to move it)

Hi all,

Question 5. On a few threads I've seen mention of a "Yellow" book, but I cannot really understand exactly what this is required for, and whether I could (or even should) get or be registered on one, (or should I be registered in the blue book).

Good question.

I've had one for over a year now, and am still trying to find some use for it.

Every time I go near a government office for one reason or another and wave my Yellow Book at them, they say: "No, we don't need that!" :D

So considering the cost and trouble I went through to get it,which included sending papers and my passport to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs TWICE to Bangkok (because they didn't like the first translation of my name into Thai as it wasn't the same as on my marriage certificate), and 4 visits to my local Ampher, I would truly like to know what use it is - if any? :o

Despite the many posts regarding the desirability of a tambian bahn, whether yellow or blue, I was told when I first came to Thailand and built my home that falang have no legal requirement for such a document and I never bothered to get one. I am not on the blue tambian bahn for my home, nor am I required to be on it as a falang.

The 90 day reporting requirement for long stay falang may be the governments way of keeping track of falang, as it uses the ID card/tambian bahn as the way they keep track of Thais.

Hi all,

Question 5. On a few threads I've seen mention of a "Yellow" book, but I cannot really understand exactly what this is required for, and whether I could (or even should) get or be registered on one, (or should I be registered in the blue book).

Good question.

I've had one for over a year now, and am still trying to find some use for it.

Every time I go near a government office for one reason or another and wave my Yellow Book at them, they say: "No, we don't need that!" :D

So considering the cost and trouble I went through to get it,which included sending papers and my passport to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs TWICE to Bangkok (because they didn't like the first translation of my name into Thai as it wasn't the same as on my marriage certificate), and 4 visits to my local Ampher, I would truly like to know what use it is - if any? :o

Re the yellow tambien ban, guess it just depends on the amphur official you're talking to.  Mine took about 30 minutes and the official filled in the paper work for me, including the "reasons" for requesting it.  Nice guy.

Reason for it?  I've not used it as yet but can think of two off hand:

--  no need to get an embassy letter as to where I live for drivers license renewal, or perhaps for Immigration;

--  might get me into a national park at the Thai rate of baht 40 rather than the farang rate of baht 400.  Thai drivers license works, too, sometimes, but ....

--  Hey, how about a 3rd, just looks neat and the several Thai friends I've shown it to have never heard of such.

Mac

There is no need to report your address to Immigration unless your stay in Thailand is longer than 90 days from the date of your entry or your first extension.

Thank you ProThaiExpat.

Does that mean I don't have to tell anybody at all where I will be staying (even when I arrive at the airport)?

If I stay in Hotels, then is it their resposibility to advise immigration?

But when I stay at home, there is no need for my girlfriend to do likewise?

mac..maybe I will try and get a yello book after all, if only for the 3rd reason you gave. And it'll keep me busy for a day or so.

As I understand the immigration regs, it is the responsibility of the "giver of shelter" to a falang to report to immigration your presence in their dwelling. Thus all hotels and like establishments have a duty to report your presence on a daily basis.

In a private residence, whether a rental or otherwise, there is a similar duty, however, how often it is followed is unknown. I suspect many owners of houses they rent to falang don't report it nor do g/fs who own the house in which their b/f is staying, etc.

As a falang, you have a duty to report your address to immigration every time you move and every 90 days regardless of whether you move or not.

Tourists certainly don't report their whereabouts but I think immigration relies on the hosts to do the reporting. I don't know the level of compliance.

There is a substantial fine that can be imposed if you fail to meet the 90 day rule, assuming you don't exit Thailand in the interim.

Thanks Again PTE.

As I never stay in the kingdom for more than 90 days at a time, I'm not goingto get into really deep doo-doo! But I will make sure my g/f advises immigration when I arrive.

When I'm travelling with my g/f, I usually get her to book with her ID card, and only show my passport when cornered. :o