Fruit Cake

tigerbeer

Bit of a problem, this one. So I still hand-carry Xmas-cake from the UK.

Big-C do have a fairly-reasonable sliced fruit-cake, but it has those grotty red/green jelly-lumps in, so it's not really an answer.

Neither can I find a good coconut-cake, with niced-toasted coconut-flakes, on the top.

Looking for a place in chiang mai that sells nice rich, authentic fruit cakes. Preferably with brandy or liquor in it :o anyone?

there seems to be quite a few come out at night along moonmuang rd for sale most nights, but not sure theyre liquored up with brandy or whatever- youll have to ask them. :D

sorry tigerbeer, couldnt resist. :D

Looking for a place in chiang mai that sells nice rich, authentic fruit cakes. Preferably with brandy or liquor in it :D anyone?

there seems to be quite a few come out at night along moonmuang rd for sale most nights, but not sure theyre liquored up with brandy or whatever- youll have to ask them. :D

Until I went back and read the quoted text I thought you were still on the subject of lard. But that would be more your reggae bars and such toward the Sripum area I guess... :o

Looking for a place in chiang mai that sells nice rich, authentic fruit cakes. Preferably with brandy or liquor in it :D anyone?

Until I went back and read the quoted text I thought you were still on the subject of lard. But that would be more your reggae bars and such toward the Sripum area I guess... :D

The last time i started a thread, i promised myself never to start another again!. what was i thinking about this time round ? perhaps i should ask the pattaya and bangkok forum people where to get good fruit cakes in chiang mai :D

"fruit cakes" for sale loaded with lard and possibly brandy or whiskey on moonmuang and sriphum areas at nights. :o

Big-C do have a fairly-reasonable sliced fruit-cake, but it has those grotty red/green jelly-lumps in, so it's not really an answer.

Neither can I find a good coconut-cake, with niced-toasted coconut-flakes, on the top.

They're the best part, and that's what makes it an authentic fruit cake :o

Rimping will have a good selection next month..

why next month MM?

I recall last year Rimping having authentic fruit cakes during the Christmas Season, maybe as early as next month. You would have to put in your own brandy, however.

Isn't those "those grotty red/green jelly-lumps" what makes a pound cake a "fruit cake". Perhaps the OP was commenting on the quality of the "fruits" in the cake.

I know the higher the quality of the fruit cake, the more fruit they have in them.

In fact, I have eaten fruit cake with little or no cake, considered very high quality, but a little balance is better in MHO.

I have always added my own brandy and then wrapped the cake in a moist towel and put it in the fridge for a few days to "marinate". Not sure fridge is required to accomplish a proper permeating of the brandy.

Now, what about "hard sauce". Boy would it be great to be able to get both!!!!

Isn't those "those grotty red/green jelly-lumps" what makes a pound cake a "fruit cake". Perhaps the OP was commenting on the quality of the "fruits" in the cake.

I know the higher the quality of the fruit cake, the more fruit they have in them.

In fact, I have eaten fruit cake with little or no cake, considered very high quality, but a little balance is better in MHO.

exactly ! :o

there seems to be quite a few come out at night along moonmuang rd for sale most nights, but not sure theyre liquored up with brandy or whatever- youll have to ask them. :bah:

sorry tigerbeer, couldnt resist. :D

:o:D:D

I recently purchased a delicious, rich , moist fruit cake in a tin from the top shelf at Tops, Kad suan kaew. You could try there. Otherwise, get someone to make one for you.

i could try to bake one myself! but too busy with work.... will try the Tops Supermarket. THanks.

I'd eat cystallised-cherries, at a pinch, it's just the cheap local imitation that I dislike.

I'd expect an authentic fruit-cake to have currants and saltanas, plus mixed-spices, and maybe a few almonds to decorate the top ? Note-to-self : must stop drooling !

You might also try Marks & Spencer's, at Central Kad Suan Kaew, they definitely had some Christmas-selections of chocolate buscuits las winter, and I've a vague memory of iced-cakes, but I may be wrong about that. Bring your wallet - it won't be cheap !

Edited by Ricardo

Looking for a place in chiang mai that sells nice rich, authentic fruit cakes. Preferably with brandy or liquor in it :o anyone?

I've found a large rock or a brick will keep the door from blowing shut, those fruit cakes are just too heavy to move around. :D

• 3 months later...

tigerbeer: Had a conversation with Boonsong, the owner at the Nihahemin location while having lunch. It led to an order for a whole fruit cake and some rolls. Picked up the cake and it is delicious, however, the charge for the whole cake was 360 Baht, even though Boonsony made a comment that buying the whole cake was a smart idea as I would save money over buying individual pieces.

Doesn't seem to be true as dividing the cake by eight pieces, which appears to be the size of the serving in the restaurant I ate, approximates the cost of the whole cake and the individual price at the restaurant at 45 baht. The staff didn't get the word or Boonsong misspoke. No matter, the cake is delicious and I can cut the pieces in sizes that fit my appetite and the cake should stay fresher if whole, as opposed to individual pieces. It brings me holiday cheer which is hard to recapture at my advanced age of fossilization.

Would like to hear your impression after you receive your whole cake and compare its size to eight pieces bought individually at 45 baht?

tigerbeer: Had a conversation with Boonsong, the owner at the Nihahemin location while having lunch. It led to an order for a whole fruit cake and some rolls. Picked up the cake and it is delicious, however, the charge for the whole cake was 360 Baht, even though Boonsony made a comment that buying the whole cake was a smart idea as I would save money over buying individual pieces.

Doesn't seem to be true as dividing the cake by eight pieces, which appears to be the size of the serving in the restaurant I ate, approximates the cost of the whole cake and the individual price at the restaurant at 45 baht. The staff didn't get the word or Boonsong misspoke. No matter, the cake is delicious and I can cut the pieces in sizes that fit my appetite and the cake should stay fresher if whole, as opposed to individual pieces. It brings me holiday cheer which is hard to recapture at my advanced age of fossilization.

Would like to hear your impression after you receive your whole cake and compare its size to eight pieces bought individually at 45 baht?

PTE, alright will do that but now that you mentioned it, better to buy individual pieces? there was a taste of brandy or whiskey in it? kinda strong! but nonetheless tasty.

That is a taste I like and it is in the whole cake as well. There are brandy flavorings and rum flavorings that have no alcohol in them and they may be using them.

My conclusion that the price is the same whether you buy individual pieces or the whole cake. Deciding which is a personal choice. Also, you wouldn't empty their daily supply of individual pieces as I had to special order as eight pieces was all they had available the day I was in.

It is quite a moist cake and was multiple wrapped in plastic wrap when I picked it up. Cold from the fridge. I put mine into the fridge after slicing off a delicious piece and it was as good or better tasting than the individual piece I had in the restaurant. It is so rich that an individual piece, the size the restaurant sells for 45 Baht is almost too much and leaves me in a stupor so will cut mine a little thinner than the restaurant does. You can always cut off another slice if you still want more, assuming you have bought the whole cake.

Make your own?

2-3 hours max with cooking depending on size

I did one last Sunday and another last night.

I brought one into work today and the girls were amazed - they really do not think men would bake.

It was polished off in one sitting.

My gran would make them months ahead and add rum or brandy weekly - I soaked the fruit for 24 hours in a rum, OJ and lemon juic mix - lovely

I spotted one lonely fruit-cake next to the Xmas-selection tins of buscuits at Marks & Spencer's, earlier this week, about 8-9 inches in diameter & definitely not a bargain at 1150 Baht, unless you're a real addict ? ! Makes me glad I hand-carried my Tesco cake (about 350 Baht), on the plane, last trip. And it was yummy ! :o