Los My Ar**

pointofview

I had the great honor of passing through immigration at the new airport yesterday and i can report that it is buisiness as usual. The immigration officers at passport control ( i observed several desks for 20 minutes or so) had the most aggresive attidutes and facial expressions i have seen thus far.

I read a report some months ago that they were to be sent on courses to improve their image. Either i/we have missed the point or this is the new image desired by the powers that be. The last impression on leaving thailand is almost (no not almost - actually) threatening!

I think thailand has lost its privilge of being know as the land of smiles. Amaizing yes - but not in the way

the thias understand amaizing.

Negative nationalism seems to be taking hold throughout thailand. I am sure many people can sense the anti ferang attitude which seems to be being promoted by the powers that be.

I had the great honor of passing through immigration at the new airport yesterday and i can report that it is buisiness as usual. The immigration officers at passport control ( i observed several desks for 20 minutes or so) had the most aggresive attidutes and facial expressions i have seen thus far.

I read a report some months ago that they were to be sent on courses to improve their image. Either i/we have missed the point or this is the new image desired by the powers that be. The last impression on leaving thailand is almost (no not almost - actually) threatening!

I think thailand has lost its privilge of being know as the land of smiles. Amaizing yes - but not in the way

the thias understand amaizing.

Negative nationalism seems to be taking hold throughout thailand. I am sure many people can sense the anti ferang attitude which seems to be being promoted by the powers that be.

Last time i came through i had a lady customs officer, she was conversing with the lady in the next booth and did not once look at me or acknowledge me, when she had stamped the passport she just placed it on top and kept talking, bizzare,.

Has anyone ever met a happy smiley immigration officer in any country? Being a government-employed ass*ole isn't confined to Thailand.

Try passing through immigration in the US in LAX or SFO. A lot of people pee their pants doing that with the clever and intimidating cross examination you get.

Edited by chinthee

Has anyone ever met a happy smiley immigration officer in any country? Being a government-employed ass*ole isn't confined to Thailand.

I had to think about that for a moment as I have been all over the world. I remember a smiling Malaysian lady wearing a burka stamped me in once. Its true, generally they are sourpusses.

The worst immigration officers I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with were in the USA and the former USSR.

Never went to the USSR, but the USA ones are the worst I have seen, and I am a citizen. But they aren't socializing, they are dead serious.

Edited by Jingthing

I actually had a quite pleasant encounter the last time I went through Immigration (on the way out at Suvarnabhumi, 2nd week of August). I had plenty of time, so took the opportunity to have a bite to eat at one of the shops just below the Departure area.

When I figured it was time to fight my way through the lines at Immigration, I was surprised to see NO ONE waiting at all ! :o

Walked right up to the nearest booth (female officer on duty). She started doing her thing and I was making small talk about how lucky I was that the lines were empty. She responded that it had been quite busy 20 minutes earlier (just around the time I was having that bite to eat).

She was fast, effecient and courteous, and I was on my way in less than a minute.

That was a rarity though. It must be pretty stressful, especially when you have to deal with hordes of numpties everyday that show up without their TM cards filled out, no pens, (maybe the wrong paperwork for people from some countries), drunk/smelly/hung-over louts on their way home and all the other problems these people have to face for (8 ? 9 ? 12 ?) hours a day, every day.

I don't think I'd have the patience to do their job for very long !

I've seen lots of smiling ones in Thailand. Speak to them first and it breaks the ice - they are human. Going throuh with 'look kreung' kids seems to help. Take a look at your own faces when you're going through.

Sometimes it's simply the job, not a lot of smiling faces at the post office either, here or elsewhere.

A big ol' Forest Gump smile is hard not to smile back at, just keep smiling people, that's all we can do. :o

Edited by cobra

One of the facts of life that these people are not going to be looking for any congeniality prizes.

After about 20 trips entering the US, i finally got a really nice guy. (once)

so they are out there.

i actually had one of my favorite experiences leaving China as i was worried. (I wasn't in an area that i was supposed to be in ) And the guy was really nice about it and didn't hold me up at all. even smiled.

But the worst has been the US. I do get searched way too much. Once they spent 2 1/2 hours searching my van and were really mad that they couldn't find anything. Not cool!

It's a really tough job. Looking for terrorists, other criminals, forged passports, having to deal with 'customers' who are belligerent and argumentative, etc. How many of us spent a career being a civil servant doing the hard work in contact with adversaries? I did, and it was no picnic.

The immigrations officials in Singapore are usually pretty genial and I'd say that 50% of the ones I have encountered in Malaysia are.

I came across some friendly Immigration Officers at the airport in Phnom Penh.

Surprisingly my GF who is a cute little Filipina gets a lot of smiles from otherwise surly (male) immigration officers in Thailand yet in the Philippines she always gets the unfriendly treatment.

Edited by tropo

Over 7 years it always appears to me that entering or leaving Thailand is a friendly, easy task although I haven't been through since October last year. For me LAX, LHR and BNE are a totally different story, the pits. I've done both BNE and PER countless times, what a contrast! We appear to have two independant Immigration/Custom officer training schools in Aust.

i have never had a problem with any immigration staff on any trip. always when i return to australia, i get a big smile and 'welcome home' and in thailand, i have, without exception, always had smiles and small talk upon arrival or departure.

i always make it a point to smile at these people, as their job mustnt be the most gratifying in the world. putting myself in their place and imagining grumpy tired people all day who just want to either get on their plane, or get home, it must be nice for them to have someone smile and treat them as human beings.

Over 7 years it always appears to me that entering or leaving Thailand is a friendly, easy task although I haven't been through since October last year. For me LAX, LHR and BNE are a totally different story, the pits. I've done both BNE and PER countless times, what a contrast! We appear to have two independant Immigration/Custom officer training schools in Aust.

I agree that BNE is not the friendliest of airports, but Queensland (particularly Brisbane) being a conservative state, they would jump to conclusions about single guys returning from Thailand.

It's a really tough job. Looking for terrorists, other criminals, forged passports, having to deal with 'customers' who are belligerent and argumentative, etc. How many of us spent a career being a civil servant doing the hard work in contact with adversaries? I did, and it was no picnic.

Seems this thread has turned into thai immigration appreciation society - get real. there are a million jiobs worse than a passport conrol officer. It is what they make it. They obviously have a bad attitude - as concieded by the thai government, whom decieded to send them on courses to improve their attitude. Please no more tears!!

Seems this thread has turned into thai immigration appreciation society - get real. there are a million jiobs worse than a passport conrol officer. It is what they make it. They obviously have a bad attitude - as concieded by the thai government, whom decieded to send them on courses to improve their attitude. Please no more tears!!

Thai Immigration officer is a top of the tree job in Thailand, there salary's are well supplemented, when did you last see one not wearing expensive watch or jewelery, maybr they consider them selves better than the average Joe?

I have lived in Thailand over 20 years and travel a lot, Thai staff are no better or worse than any where else in Asia, the waiting times in Thailand are some of the worse around though!

i have never had a problem with any immigration staff on any trip. always when i return to australia, i get a big smile and 'welcome home' and in thailand, i have, without exception, always had smiles and small talk upon arrival or departure.

i always make it a point to smile at these people, as their job mustnt be the most gratifying in the world. putting myself in their place and imagining grumpy tired people all day who just want to either get on their plane, or get home, it must be nice for them to have someone smile and treat them as human beings.

I have to agree.

I find a smile and polite words are the best way to efficient service. On one occasion when there was no one else in the line I took the time to ask some Ausie immig folk about the APEC card, they were knowlegable and helpfull. As it was quiet I got replies from two of them. So you can never tell. Not sure I would have got the same responce if there was a bnch of folk behind me. :o

I had to think about that for a moment as I have been all over the world. I remember a smiling Malaysian lady wearing a burka stamped me in once. Its true, generally they are sourpusses.

a BURKA ? are you kidding ? do you know what a BURKA is ??? No Malaysian female would be allowed to perform any governmental work in a BURKA. and 99% of the very few people in Malaysia wearing a Burka, are actually tourists from Arabian/middle-East countries. You would be surprised how SELF-CONFIDENT Malaysian women are, and the government supports that.

oh and about smiling Immigration officers, yes its Malaysia again. Been to Langkawi in January, and those young male officers were VERY friendly, smiling, and wishing me a pleasant stay in Langkawi and Malaysia. Kota Kinabalu is usally very friendly too..... KL is "okay", at least no aggressive attitude...

I had smiling and friendly officers again in BATAM, Indonesia, arriving by ferry from SG, though at Jakarta Airport they are usually not overly friendly.

another good experience - to my BIG surprise - in Manila lately: Friendly non-bureaucratic and 100% hassle-free.... I had heard some nasty stories beforehand.... but it was smooth....

Edited by THAILIBAN

As I posted on the T.V. airport forum, the female immigration official was very friendly, when I arrived into the LOS yesterday. However, maybe it was because I was on an early flight arrival; 0800 hours.

I do think that physical appearance makes a huge difference.

If you are a shaven-headed clinically obese thug, covered in offensive visible tattoos, sporting facial ironmongery, displaying frontal gold tooth surgery and sporting stinking sweat-soaked vest and short pants then expect different treatment to a clean long-shirted, trig individual with jam-jar spectacles and a respectful, diffident smile.

As I posted on the T.V. airport forum, the female immigration official was very friendly, when I arrived into the LOS yesterday. However, maybe it was because I was on an early flight arrival; 0800 hours.

If you are a shaven-headed clinically obese thug, covered in offensive visible tattoos, sporting facial ironmongery, displaying frontal gold tooth surgery and sporting stinking sweat-soaked vest and short pants then expect different treatment to a clean long-shirted, trig individual with jam-jar spectacles and a respectful, diffident smile.

Exactly, plus it helps if you're friendly yourself.

cheers

onzestan

To my knowledge; Singapore by a million miles. Pre 9-11, The guys at JFK, always up for

"How 'bout them Mets/Yankees/Giants/Knicks" chat.

Exactly, plus it helps if you're friendly yourself.

cheers

onzestan