Retirement Extension

Just returned from the Immigration office in Jomtien, where I applied for my 4th Visa extension on the grounds of retirement.

I got to Immigration around 10am, and it was packed - I was 11th in line to see the officer about my retirement extension, so I had about an hours' wait. Everything went smoothly after that however.

No medical certificate needed, no map needed (only in Bangkok, they said) and not interested in how long I had had money in the bank, only interested in today's balance and the letter from the bank. And no requirement to show where the funds had come from. In fact due to a cock-up, my funds had come through late, and I'd only had the required amount in the bank for about 6 weeks, but no problem.

They did want a couple of extra photocopies though: the original Non-Imm 'O' visa (dating back to 2004!), and my last re-entry permit. After all the paperwork was done and I'd paid the 1,900 baht I was told to come back at 3 o'clock. Got back there at about 2:45, and my passport was ready and waiting for me.

So all in all, an exhausting (whoever gets up at 9am in Pattaya!), but profitable day.

Edited by eyebee

Thanks for that.

A few questions though.

Are you using the 800K bank account method with no pension?

800K+ baht in bank, no pension (I get that next year). No requirement to show where funds have come from (unless that's on the bank's letter - I can't read Thai).

They did want a couple of extra photocopies though: the original Non-Imm 'O' visa (dating back to 2004!), and my last re-entry permit.

Interesting; I did mine in Chiang Mai yesterday and they wanted the same photocopies as you mention. Never asked before. I wonder what's up with that? Otherwise everything went as smoothly as yours, except I use the money in bank/pension qualifier. No problems.

They did want a couple of extra photocopies though: the original Non-Imm 'O' visa (dating back to 2004!), and my last re-entry permit.

Interesting; I did mine in Chiang Mai yesterday and they wanted the same photocopies as you mention. Never asked before. I wonder what's up with that? Otherwise everything went as smoothly as yours, except I use the money in bank/pension qualifier. No problems.

You have to have valid Non-Imm O in order to apply retirement visa, right?

Chiang Mai immigration even wanted those pages photocopied from my passport to certify my residence. It shows them the original O visa on which you entered the country no matter how long ago, and the most recent entry into the Kingdom. Makes sense.

What happens if the original Non-O visa is in a previous or lost passport ?

Better keep a copy of your original visa for ever....

In Kap Cheong yesterday the officer also wanted the copy of the origialvisa + a copy of all extension stamps and the last entry stamp and departure card

Chiang Mai immigration even wanted those pages photocopied from my passport to certify my residence. It shows them the original O visa on which you entered the country no matter how long ago, and the most recent entry into the Kingdom. Makes sense.

They have always wanted copies of my original visa stamp, my current extension and my last entry. This was the first time they asked for copies of my other extensions. No problems with that, it is just interesting that it seems to be a new across the board policy.

Just returned from the Immigration office in Jomtien, where I applied for my 4th Visa extension on the grounds of retirement.

I got to Immigration around 10am, and it was packed - I was 11th in line to see the officer about my retirement extension, so I had about an hours' wait. Everything went smoothly after that however.

I was there, same office, same date, same retirement extension, but arrived four hours later and I was first in line for desk #8. I wonder if it is usually like that in the early afternoon? I think all the desks were similar, as there were very few people seated in the waiting area.

No medical certificate needed, no map needed (only in Bangkok, they said) and not interested in how long I had had money in the bank, only interested in today's balance and the letter from the bank. And no requirement to show where the funds had come from. In fact due to a cock-up, my funds had come through late, and I'd only had the required amount in the bank for about 6 weeks, but no problem...

Just to add a bit...I just returned for the same reason today (5 September) and no real problem. Just that even if you are using an embassy letter to document pension income, they still wanted the "bank letter;" not showing B800k balacne but that you haved a bank account and that there aree some funds in it. I usually copy a few of the most recent pages of the passbook showing 2-3 months of foreign fund transfers into the account in the amount of around B85-95K. The bank letter is in addition to this and shows the balance at the time (mine was B61,000).

No foreign ministry "certification" of the embassy letter is required at this time.

No foreign ministry "certification" of the embassy letter is required at this time.

"I attended the Ex Pats club and it was reported from the floor via Barry Kenyon that the requirement for your pension letter to be stamped (authenticated?)by the MFA due to commence on 1st October had been recinded after pressure from a number of embassy's."

Posted 2007-09-03 11:49:59

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140594, post #7 by JohnC