Youths Are Asked To Contribute More To National Development

Jai Dee

Youths are asked to contribute more to national development

On the occasion of the National Youth Day on September 20th, the Governor of Sa Kaeo (สระแก้ว) province, Mr. Surapol Pongtadsirikul (สุรพล พงษ์ทัดศิริกุล), asks youths to contribute more to national development by developing their values correctly. Mr. Surapol says the National Youth Day coincides with the birthdays of King Chulalongkorn the Great, or King Rama V, and King Ananda Mahidol, or King Rama VIII.

According to the National Economic and Social Advisory Council (NESAC), there are about 13 million youths aged between 15 and 25 in Thailand. Governor Surapol says this phase of their lives is important as it determines their future. Therefore, he would like them to take part in the development of the country, especially the ones who are over 18 of age since they have become eligible voters. Mr. Surapol says he would like to see youths to have more responsibility for the future of the country, and he wants them to have the right principles and values.

The Governor of Sa Kaeo province says there are many youth problems in the present society of Thailand such as sex, morality and crime. He asks parents and guardians to closely take care of their children, especially when they are in their teens, as they will become an integral part of national development.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 September 2007

If the Thai Government is worried about the behaviour of its youngsters, then the UK Government should be having a nervous breakdown about the behaviour of its ones.

Just this afternoon, I dropped in at the Sufficiency Fair in the huge Convocation Hall of Khon Kaen University. There were hundreds and hundreds of secondary pupils and junior college students there and I was impressed by their good behaviour. No way could I, just a couple of years ago, have taken their UK equivalents, who I taught in 20 secondary schools in Yorkshire as a Substitute Teacher, to such an event and not have had ill-behaviour problems.

Nearly home, I was following two pickups that were loaded with secondary pupils (including a row of boys standing on the rear) till their front wheels were only just touching the ground. I reflected on how unsafe that would be in the UK, but the guaranteed sensible behaviour of those pupils makes it quite safe (and a lot less expensive than UK school transport arrangements).

but the guaranteed sensible behaviour of those pupils makes it quite safe (and a lot less expensive than UK school transport arrangements).

Yes, some youths in my neighborhood here are very well behaved. Every day they go to school with their neat uniforms, every Monday they have their yellow shirts on like good Thai kids should do. Yes, even when at night selling amphetamines in front of my house they are well behaved and don't create much of a nuisance. :o