48r Application Form Questions

Hi guys,i have a few questions about some of the questions there asking for the 48r tourist visa to australia for my g/f

firstly do we put the thai year or the english year for the date of birth of the applicant?

Q18,my g/f has a sister in australia who is married to an australian,she has been here for under 1 year,

is she a citisen or permanent resident of australia?

I took over the 48r app form with me to thai in july this year to help her fill out,allthough it was one that i printed out some time ago.

I have just looked at the oz booklets site and see that there is now only 41 questions but on the form i had printed out had 48 questions.

Has it slightly changed/reduced questions?would the form we allready of filled still be ok?

I thik thats it for now,getting ready to submit app next week

Cheers

Hi guys,i have a few questions about some of the questions there asking for the 48r tourist visa to australia for my g/f

firstly do we put the thai year or the english year for the date of birth of the applicant?

You are applying to an Australian Embassy. Use English.

Q18,my g/f has a sister in australia who is married to an australian,she has been here for under 1 year,

Less than one year she would be a permanent resident.

I took over the 48r app form with me to thai in july this year to help her fill out,allthough it was one that i printed out some time ago.

I have just looked at the oz booklets site and see that there is now only 41 questions but on the form i had printed out had 48 questions.

Has it slightly changed/reduced questions?would the form we allready of filled still be ok?

Click here for the latest 48R form.

Cheers

Applied in May with TG, granted within 7 days, attended CC tower in Bangkok with completed form from internet, let in door by security guards and first thing they do is look at completed form and state she has to complete the form in Thai language, they will give you thai language form.

My advise is to make sure you have all the documents required and you shouldnt have a problem, reading this forum and others lots of others will tell you the TG will need to prove they have something to return to thailand, ie job. My TG has not had a job for a number of years and has no steady employment history, I emphasised my strong employment history and the funds to support her, made statement that she would not overstay.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will help if I can.

Thanks guys,my g/f has no job or property to go back to but i have financially supported her for the past two years and have all

the documents to support our relationship..

Q18 asks if her sister is a permanent resident or citizen yes/no?,ive put yes?

Cheers

Applied in May with TG, granted within 7 days, attended CC tower in Bangkok with completed form from internet, let in door by security guards and first thing they do is look at completed form and state she has to complete the form in Thai language, they will give you thai language form.

My advise is to make sure you have all the documents required and you shouldnt have a problem, reading this forum and others lots of others will tell you the TG will need to prove they have something to return to thailand, ie job. My TG has not had a job for a number of years and has no steady employment history, I emphasised my strong employment history and the funds to support her, made statement that she would not overstay.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will help if I can.

So should i get her to just fill out the thai version of 48r and disgard the english verision?

is the english version for if you applying for it in oz?

thoughts on this appreciated...

Thanks guys,my g/f has no job or property to go back to but i have financially supported her for the past two years and have all

Your g/f need to provide a compelling reason to return to Thailand at the completion of her tourist visa and/or you will need to convince the Oz Embassy that you will ensure that she won't seek or engage in employment whilst in Oz and that she heads home when her visa expires.

The importance of this point cannot be emphasized too much.

Q18 - Answer 'Yes.'

As Graham has stated, she may be a 'temporary' resident as far as her visa class is concerned but if she has been issued with a Medicare Card she is a permanent resident as far as the Government is concerned.

Your g/f need to provide a compelling reason to return to Thailand at the completion of her tourist visa and/or you will need to convince the Oz Embassy that you will ensure that she won't seek or engage in employment whilst in Oz and that she heads home when her visa expires.

The importance of this point cannot be emphasized too much.

Q18 - Answer 'Yes.'

As Graham has stated, she may be a 'temporary' resident as far as her visa class is concerned but if she has been issued with a Medicare Card she is a permanent resident as far as the Government is concerned.

On the migration site it said that you could still obtain a visa if they still dont have a job or such to return to as long as you can show that you have financially supported them and prove an ongoing relatioship....the only reason i give is that a state, there is a real future for us together,therefore i see no reason for her to not abide her visa conditions as this would hinder her chances to stay in oz on a more permanent basis in the near future..

we have been together 2 years,fully suppoerting her,e/mails,phone calls everday,4 trips to thai to holiday together,all with proof.

i dont see how they could not see that this has been ongoing/continuing and a genunibe relationship with a positive future.

Anyway thanks all,will see how we go in the next couple of weeks

cheers

Edited by HUTCHY07

I think you will find Form 48R (Application to Visit Australia for Tourism or Other Recreational Activities) is available in 16 languages other than English. My former BF used the Thai version of Form 48R and received a Tourist Visa without any problems.

Peter

ok,i have this thai copy of 48r which also has the english questions as well on it,so does she answer in thai or english?

thanks

I think you will find Form 48R (Application to Visit Australia for Tourism or Other Recreational Activities) is available in 16 languages other than English. My former BF used the Thai version of Form 48R and received a Tourist Visa without any problems.

Peter

ok,i have this thai copy of 48r which also has the english questions as well on it,so does she answer in thai or english?

thanks

Hutchy

My TG filled it in in English with my help, also help of security guard at visa application centre at CC tower.

Where possible I took original documents with copies (not certified). But there were documents that I could only provide computer print outs. I work for Aust Govt Dept and dont get paper payslips, took computer printouts of payslips, I do my Tax through the ATO online facility and only took copy of printout from home computer, did take original and copy of ATO notice of assessment. Took printout from home computer of skype telephone calls to provide evidence of contact. Also provided printout of home banking to show transfer of money to thailand.

Again the stat dec i provided re supporting her also detailed the strength of our relationship and the fact she would not overstay to harm any future visa applications.

Good luck with you application, when are you lodging, I am heading back in 3 weeks to lodge partner visa.

Q18 - Answer 'Yes.'

Wrong......

Temporary residents can be issued with a medicare card, they can work in Oz but they are neither permanent residents or citizens until the appropriate visas and grants have been given. Under 12 months unless extenuating circumstances apply....she would be a temporary resident.

Hutchy07

If you are providing all support for her including financial support and you fill out the relevant parts of her application to show this, and you provide proof of your income, and you provide proof that you have known the applicant for a reasonable period of time, and you fill out a stat dec saying that you will support her, that she is coming here for holiday purposes only and you will ensure that abides by her visa conditions if it is so granted.

Then you, by and large negate the reason to return condition as you are taking the resposibilty legally, If you do this then it also takes care of her needing to having a job, savings etc...

The application should be in English...as the records for tourism and migration are kept in Oz...

For the tourist visa you can use originals and there is a slip you will be given for the return of documents. However for any future migration applications you will need certified copies so it may pay to start collecting them now.

And by the way the answer to Q18 should be NO unless she has been granted a permanent visa under extenuating circumstances such as spousal abuse etc.

and just to finish....Q35 did you receive assistance with form...as i helped her fill it out shall i put yes ?or are they refering to a migration agent?

Yes and give your details

The next question concerns agents......leave that blank

Also state you received no payment for the assistance.

Q18 - Answer 'Yes.'

Wrong......

Temporary residents can be issued with a medicare card, they can work in Oz but they are neither permanent residents or citizens until the appropriate visas and grants have been given. Under 12 months unless extenuating circumstances apply....she would be a temporary resident.

Not necessarily 'wrong.'

As stated in my post above, it depends on which sub class of visa she was issued with. Some visas grant successful applicants full residency status from day one.

For example: Sub class 100. and Sub class 801.

The answer to question 18 on the 48R form will depend on the type of visa class held.

Q18 - Answer 'Yes.'

Wrong......

Not necessarily 'wrong.'

As stated in my post above, it depends on which sub class of visa she was issued with. Some visas grant successful applicants full residency status from day one.

For example: Sub class 100. and Sub class 801.

The answer to question 18 on the 48R form will depend on the type of visa class held.

Quote....

This visa allows you to enter or remain in Australia on the basis of your married or de-facto relationship with your partner:

on a temporary visa (usually for a waiting period of approximately two (2) years from the date you applied for the visa)

on a permanent visa if, after the waiting period (if applicable), your partner relationship still exists and you are still eligible for this visa.

As I said......unless extenuating circumstances apply.....none was mentioned by the OP therefore it is safe to assume that the lady in question is here under normal circumstances (she was not a refugee or under hardship nor has she been the victim of spousal abuse since arriving) therefore she would be a Temporary Resident until the 2 year waiting period has been completed.

You stated before that if she had a medicare card she would be considered a permanent resident by the Government....that is a wrong statement.

Edited by gburns57au

It would appear that the proposed applicant's sister married to an Australian would have a subclass 309, temporary spouse visa in which case she would have a medicare card but would not be eligible for social security benefits until she received her permanent subclass 100 visa.

It would appear that the proposed applicant's sister married to an Australian would have a subclass 309, temporary spouse visa in which case she would have a medicare card but would not be eligible for social security benefits until she received her permanent subclass 100 visa.

The "waiting period" is what determines the visa subclass. The 'waiting period' does not need to be completed in Australia and the period does not necessarily commence from the date when the visa application was submitted.

In my case we were granted a spouse visa, subclass 100. We proved that we had been living in a de-facto relationship for longer than two years, irrespective of the fact that we both resided in our respective countries during this period. The granting of the subclass 100 meant that my partner was immediately regarded as a 'permanent resident.' There is no requirement for her to undergo any further interviews. (other than the interview required for permanent citizenship.)

The OP has not stated what subclass of visa was issued to the applicants sister, so at this point in time we can only guess.

I do however, accept that my comment about the medicare card and permanency was incorrect.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

NO she has been there less than two years.

You get a resident visa after you have been living in australia for two years. meaning you have to support G/F for two years then she is oked for resident visa and can then get free medical and access to our social security.

The two years start counting the day she submits her application if in aust.

once she has paid the fee she can go backwards and forwards between aust and thailand as much as she likes.

But will not get resident approval until she has done the two year stay in aust 365 x 2 days = two years

Cheers

Its for the OZ Visa so its english year

GF sister is not a citizen or PR

Online there is all the help you need http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/48r.pdf

The "waiting period" is what determines the visa subclass. The 'waiting period' does not need to be completed in Australia and the period does not necessarily commence from the date when the visa application was submitted.

In my case we were granted a spouse visa, subclass 100. We proved that we had been living in a de-facto relationship for longer than two years, irrespective of the fact that we both resided in our respective countries during this period. The granting of the subclass 100 meant that my partner was immediately regarded as a 'permanent resident.' There is no requirement for her to undergo any further interviews. (other than the interview required for permanent citizenship.)

The OP has not stated what subclass of visa was issued to the applicants sister, so at this point in time we can only guess.

I do however, accept that my comment about the medicare card and permanency was incorrect.

Times have changed MM....

Page 8 of the booklet shows the visa sub classes and what the stages are....

For a spouse, defacto visa the 309 is issued then the 100 after 2 years.

NO she has been there less than two years.

You get a resident visa after you have been living in australia for two years. meaning you have to support G/F for two years then she is oked for resident visa and can then get free medical and access to our social security.

The two years start counting the day she submits her application if in aust.

once she has paid the fee she can go backwards and forwards between aust and thailand as much as she likes.

But will not get resident approval until she has done the two year stay in aust 365 x 2 days = two years

The 309 temporary resident visa allows access to Medicare but cannot obtain Social Security until the 100 permanent resident visa is granted. Some Soc Sec benefits can be obtained such as the family payment if there are children in the relationship or a Special benefit if the relationship breaks down within the waiting period time and there has been domestic violence.

The waiting period starts from the date of the grant of the 309 visa.

• 2 weeks later...
The g/f had just submitted the t/v to oz at the cc tower,they said to ring them in 4 days..

regarding Q 18, im not sure what visa class she has but the g/f asked them at the cc tower and they said to answer yes..

Probably looks better if she has a rellie as a perm res.

Good luck

Visa application to oz has been aproved today.

Dont know the details as yet off what type of t/v but think it is just the sigle 3 month

entry visa. All in all it took 4 days to process, they called my g/f once to ask her how long our relatioship had been

going for..

Thanks for the help Thai visa members...