Official Airport Taxi Scam

jphripjah

Are you high?

First you state that it's very important that one uses the official taxi and when my post states that I did you say 'neither did they'?

sorry i misundersotod your poor use of english - and no i am not high but i assume your american

....who went to accredited university...and you went to.....?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How hard can it be for airport management to feel the pulse of what's going on in there? Either they are totally incompetent or simply don't give a sh!t and agree to tourists being exposed to scams moments after going through immigration. Some were arrested, yet, more rushed in.

Impound taxis for at least a month, see what happens...

It's a pretty basic expectation. You should be able to get in a cab, have the driver turn on the meter and be taken to your destination. The fact that so many people have to fight to get this simple level of service is a poor reflection on what is supposed to be a modern airport.

Every time l come through this airport l never know what l'm going to encounter. I've had one stand up argument with a controller who tried to rip me off far too much, but got the correct deal in the end with even the taxi driver admitting the controller was scamming customers. The other night at two in the morning it was smooth as silk, no arguments, just an efficient service that got me home using the meter, the way it should always be.

I thought the touts were supposed to have moved on but l still had at least ten people approach me, but not in an aggressive way so that's something to be thankful for l suppose. It's obvious high up people at the airport are behind the scams as without them all this malarkey would have been sorted instead of continuing for a year now. :o

The problem isn't the airport per say, it's tourist-hungry taxi-drivers.

As I have posted before, reltives of mine live at a decent hotel downtown and got hit for 300-400baht for 1 kilometer-rides, everytime. No taxidriver even tried to use the meter. Most likely since they looked like tourists and came out from a hotel/restaurant/shop downtown. How they felt, and thought bout thai-hospitality, when I told them their rides should have been much less - and they got to see it for themselfs when we rode with them one day? Not sure. But it's so unnecessary.

I have yet to have a driver refuse the meter (*holds thumbs*) but I generally can walk by tuktuk's without getting hassled too. Since you behave and dress differently if you are a big-eyed tourist or a tired office-worker on your way home.

In Malaysia I have never had a problem with a cabdriver either...and there they can speak english and like to carry a conversation...guessing less tourists gets ripped off by taxi's there too?

Don't get a taxi from the dispatch area. Go upstairs to the drop off area for arrivals, and pick up one that is unloading. No extra fee or crowd (and no mafia either, I think).

At the old airport I've seen drivers handing the guards money first hand (driver said it was 20 baht per visit or 100 baht for 'unlimited use' per day). A couple of my friends have seen the guards assault taxi drivers there as well (presumably, for not paying - but just a guess).

Thailand, always stating it is international class in this and that - it will always be the same old scheming, cheating Thailand. Never happen in HKG, SIN, KUL, Korea - even mainland China.

Corruption is endemic. Thailand will never rid itself of that.

New airport, S.O.S.

Sorry, but pardon the expression but this is a load of <deleted>.

HKG - doesn't happen - yes it does, with less frequency maybe, but circuitous route, double charging on tolls to go through tunnels, missed the exit long way round... etc etc

Singapore - you try to get a taxi in the mid to late evening at Clarke Quay - all parked with busy signs on (same on Orchard Road), walk up and down and then the driver will ask you where you are going and quote you a fixed (normally ridiculous) fare - but unless you want a stand up confrontation, call the police or the taxi company, or walk you are stuck with it; add to this the long route ploy (one time a taxi driver thinking I was tourist turned on to the expressway just 200 meters from my destination - when I asked him where he was going he said he was taking the short way !!! ), read the Singapore papers scams by taxi drivers comes up with monotonous regularity

KUL - the Airport is controlled by the Malay's (Bumaphutra) - period! I regularly used a Chinese driver and one day asked him to pick me up at the airport - told me he couldn't because his taxi wasn't licensed to do so AND he was Chinese and not part of the airport "mafia". Then you get in your airport cab and get the long tour... try it in town and the meter is broken... etc etc etc. try it late at night same same

China - jeeze – not corrupt !! which planet are you on. I landed at Shenzhen, no turn on meter - quote fixed (ridiculous) price, "meter broken" until I leaned over and switched it on myself; I have been cheated (or an attempt made) in almost all of the 15 cities I have visited, some regularly. I speak enough Chinese to tell the driver if I think he is pulling a fast one.

Sure some Thai taxi drivers will pull whatever scam they think they can get away with - as they will in New York, London, Manchester, Madrid, Beirut, Sydney - wherever. I feel ashamed to admit that when I drove taxis in my younger days a little bit extra was a part of the game to supplement crap wages and tight customers. I don't condone taxi scams but they exist wherever there are taxis ....

Your comments are simply Thai bashing - and in that context not appropriate

I arrived back home today - and not a single person approached me, and at the counter they are now using yellow slips to indicate how many passengers in the taxi - the yellow slip is then handed to another staff member while the taxi drivers are literally in a queue waiting for their turn.

Maybe next time I'll speak English instead of Thai and see what they do...

BTW, no Customs or Excise people around either, not that I noticed.

Don't get a taxi from the dispatch area. Go upstairs to the drop off area for arrivals, and pick up one that is unloading. No extra fee or crowd (and no mafia either, I think).

At the old airport I've seen drivers handing the guards money first hand (driver said it was 20 baht per visit or 100 baht for 'unlimited use' per day). A couple of my friends have seen the guards assault taxi drivers there as well (presumably, for not paying - but just a guess).

Flew in the other night, and me and my TG went upstairs and did just that, but, there was an incident and and I got really ticked off. We use the taxi's upstairs not to save 50 baht, but to save us hearing them complain that they waited for 3 hours only to take us for a 60 baht ride. This gets old fast, its their job and I still need to get to where I am going, so what to do? Started to use the upstairs taxi's as they are not "waiting for hours". But the other night my TG told them where we wanted to go, 3 declined and the 4th agreed. So after we loaded ALL of our really heavy bags in the car, and after we started to drive, the SOB said we have to pay 50 baht more!! I nearly freaked out, he was not waiting for long time and he already agreed to take us. What a low life thing to do. Its not the money, it the principle of him trying to squeeze us. But, when I tried to find his name to write a complaint, I found there to be none. My TG said it was like a "black taxi". Its just that after 20 hours in plains and airports, one does not need to be jerked around as soon as you land.

It seems we just can not win either way. :o

• 1 month later...
It's illegal for taxi meters to not use the meter when carrying passengers so it must be a scam by definition as they are knowingly breaking the law in collusion with the desk clerks.

End of.

Unfortunately, laws are only any good if they are actually enforced.

Had this incident at Bangkok Northern Terminal bus station recently. I and my Thai partner hailed a cab outside. A guy in a uniform rushed over and waved our taxi away and ushered in another one. I saw the taxi driver hand 20 baht to this guy. Suddenly after we had loaded into the taxi we were told to get out and change to another as there was "something wrong" with this one. The new taxi driver handed another note to the guy in uniform who was smiling broadly. No skin off my nose as we had a metered fare but is this a scam in reverse? Are the taxi drivers only getting fares if they grease the palms of the officials?

How hard can it be for airport management to feel the pulse of what's going on in there? Either they are totally incompetent or simply don't give a sh!t and agree to tourists being exposed to scams moments after going through immigration. Some were arrested, yet, more rushed in.

Impound taxis for at least a month, see what happens...

The maqnagement is well aware of the situation and are personally profiting. There are in cahoots with the transport mafia.

They even had the gall during the planning process to station the taxis at a hub, far away from the airport where passengers would need to board a bus with their luggage, to get to the fair priced taxis.

That idea went south and then they decided to station the taxis away from arrivals area with no signage and permitted the 900bt limo tout mob to mislead/ intimidate the people coming into the arrival hall.

That idea went south so the management now permit the taxis outside arrivals but the games continue with the setup. Misleading the novice traveler is their goal.

Thai transport mafia.

The same group that won't permit regular taxis in Phukett and Pattaya and force visitors to ride in the back of cheapo trucks at 300% the cost of an aircon taxi.

Of course the authorities will not do anything as they get a piece of the action while Thailands reputation goes into the toilet.

I never have a problem with the taxi desk because I always tell the guy who issues the ticket my destination in Thai and I make sure to tell him that I want a meter taxi. It works every time, you should try it.

Of course they arn't going to scam you. You've been around for a while, speak Thai and are clued up to what they are capable of doing, screwing you over with a big Thai smile.

Millions of visitors a year, don't speak Thai and have no idea how sinister these people are.

People coming for a holiday in the Land of Smiles(for the first time) get screwed around and nobody does anything about it.

That's my beef.

Yes, they're very very sinister, arent they Padthaiguy? Sometimes I can't sleep at night, worrying about what might happen to me tomorrow if I don't keep my wits about me.

I'm a caring kind of guy, just like you. I think I might set up some kind of Support Group for victims of taxi abuse.

I'll call it Travellers With Advanced Taxi Stress (T.W.A.T.S) syndrome. I'm sure it will have lots of members.

Yes, they're very very sinister, arent they Padthaiguy? Sometimes I can't sleep at night, worrying about what might happen to me tomorrow if I don't keep my wits about me.

I'm a caring kind of guy, just like you. I think I might set up some kind of Support Group for victims of taxi abuse.

I'll call it Travellers With Advanced Taxi Stress (T.W.A.T.S) syndrome. I'm sure it will have lots of members.

You're a smartasss on the internet and if you acted like this in real life people would be lined up around the block to kick your asss.

Would you let your family members come visit Thailand without any warnings?

I think you would come up with a long list if you cared about them.

Thousands of Tourists get cheated and scammed everyday and there is no support group or anybody in authority that cares to do a dam_n thing about it.

Edited by PadThaiGuy

"Thai transport mafia.

The same group that won't permit regular taxis in Phukett and Pattaya and force visitors to ride in the back of cheapo trucks at 300% the cost of an aircon taxi."

You are not making any sense.

Neither Phuket nor Pattaya have meter taxis the way Bangkok does. They have variations on a pickup truck with two benches in it.

Under private hire, they charge perhaps 300% to 500%+ more than the Bangkok taxi meters.

The reason there are no taxi meters in Pattaya or Phuket is beacuse the alternative sontthaew pick up transport is controlled by the "Taxi Mafia".

Everyone I know would love regular aircon taxis in Pattaya.

Regardless of whether or not you can speak even a little Thai, this should really not a problem for most people. Wait in line and when served, state your destination. Also state that you want "meter" taxi. Take the ticket and go to the taxi. Before getting into the taxi reaffirm with the driver that he will use his meter by saying, "meter yes?" and await his confirmation. If he seems to not understand the question (really really unlikely) simply stand there until he decides he does understand or go and get a different taxi. If he drives off and still doesn't turn on the meter, open the taxi door and tell him to stop - most taxi drivers don't like to risk losing a door and don't worry, you are unlikely to fall out in the process!

Most adults are well traveled these days and taxi scams abound at many airports around the world and are therefore to be expected. Dealing with them is not rocket science and complaining that they exist is pointless.

Flew in the other night, and me and my TG went upstairs and did just that, but, there was an incident and and I got really ticked off. We use the taxi's upstairs not to save 50 baht, but to save us hearing them complain that they waited for 3 hours only to take us for a 60 baht ride. This gets old fast, its their job and I still need to get to where I am going, so what to do? Started to use the upstairs taxi's as they are not "waiting for hours". But the other night my TG told them where we wanted to go, 3 declined and the 4th agreed. So after we loaded ALL of our really heavy bags in the car, and after we started to drive, the SOB said we have to pay 50 baht more!! I nearly freaked out, he was not waiting for long time and he already agreed to take us. What a low life thing to do. Its not the money, it the principle of him trying to squeeze us. But, when I tried to find his name to write a complaint, I found there to be none. My TG said it was like a "black taxi". Its just that after 20 hours in plains and airports, one does not need to be jerked around as soon as you land.

It seems we just can not win either way. :o

That's why I always take a cab the official way, at arrivals level at last. On the passenger door you will even notice the taxis license metal plate number.

Got in last week, short waiting line, less than a minute and on my way, hit some touts with my luggage cart before reaching the taxi stand however.

Took a thousand taxis in my life and got scammed 3x: once downtown NY, twice Bangkok when I had defences down.

Since are always on alert when taking a a cab.

Sure nothing wrong ever happened to Bendix, it only happens to the others :D

Actually that's not true, tartempion. I did get fleeced by a taxi in Bkk once. It was actually my very first visit here around five years ago. I wanted a cab from the Shangri La back to the Pan Pacific. He charged me 400.

Why? Well, I was new. I hadnt bothered to learn the ropes. It was late. I was a little 'tired and emotional' after a big party. At the time, 400 seemed a good price (my first ever taxi ride in Bangkok) and I congratulated myself on my negotiation skills, not knowing that a meter would have cost less than 100. I had no idea of the distances involved.

But you see it's really not a big issue, is it, and I don't know why so many esteemed members get so hot under the collar about it.

Get screwed over once? Well, that's almost obligatory. A war story. A rite of passage. Get done twice and you really have noone to blame but yourself, do you?

As to PadThai's question about family coming over . .well, I'd tell them what to pay and give them some basic pointers but I wouldn't make them so ridiculously paranoid that it completely messed up their trip or put them off coming. I mean, come on. Let's get some perspective.

Thousands of Tourists get cheated and scammed everyday and there is no support group or anybody in authority that cares to do a dam_n thing about it.

Did you not read my post? There is now a support group, and I do care. It's called <deleted>. You're obviously well qualified to join - would you like to volunteer?

I notice you have amassed a fan club of other members with no personality of their own.

Talking of "dishing out personal insults and flaming"!

:o

Truth hurts huh?

I think Bendix has a certain style and use of English that is highly developed, albeit it took me some time to appreciate his wit fully. I enjoy seeing him put his views across in a way that I think is quite eloquent. I have no beef with you, no observations to make about you and am quite relaxed if you want, for whatever reason, to insult me all night long. If you think that means I have no personality of my own, I'm OK with that, if it makes you happy. :D

I notice you have amassed a fan club of other members with no personality of their own.

Talking of "dishing out personal insults and flaming"!

:o

Truth hurts huh?

I think Bendix has a certain style and use of English that is highly developed, albeit it took me some time to appreciate his wit fully. I enjoy seeing him put his views across in a way that I think is quite eloquent. I have no beef with you, no observations to make about you and am quite relaxed if you want, for whatever reason, to insult me all night long. If you think that means I have no personality of my own, I'm OK with that, if it makes you happy. :D

Bendix continually engages in flaming and thinly veiled personal insults which aside from possibly breaking forum rules are detrimental to adult debate and discussion.

If you think belittling other posters and school yard name calling pass for a "certain style" and are "highly developed" then we will have to agree to disagree.

Hmm, yes, it's an acquired taste, mostly a British thing! But if you look carefully, and most people are not very good at reading what is written completely, Bendix rarely if ever insults others without cause. Usually it's because the OP didn't read or comprehend what was said to him and keeps on belaboring a moot point or because the point was so fundamental and basic in the first place that most would not have bothered. Regardless, I shall consider you have had the last word on all of this in that we agree to disagree, shall not take offence at your unprovoked attack on me and will hopefully return now to the original post.

Two days ago wife and I got in a taxi, and after 10 seconds noticed he hadn't switched on his meter.

She told him to turn it on and he said that because he was already in motion, there would be a THB 100 surcharge as he hadn't switched it on at the outset.

Edited by Journalist