How To Keep The Toilet Clean

silapin

I buy HAITER(bleach) from the supermarkets or Vixol which is a toilet cleaner that's extra strong.

Vixol - especially the stuff in the white container - is VERY strong hydrochloric acid (20%). I'm amazed it's allowed on sale. It'll eat away your drain and cement if you're not careful. You're supposed to dilute 1:3 with water before use and wash thoroughly after.

Haiter is a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and - I think - an organic sulphate. I don't like it much, but it can be used on clothes if you follow the instructions.

The one that I like is chlorine based, but is very hard to get now. It's called "Dr Clean Bathroom Cleaner". The Tops supermarket in Robinsons used to sell it, but I haven't seen it for ages.

I suppose a swimming pool supplier should have some kind of chlorine based water purifier which could be used as bleach.

I noticed when in the UK recently that people use bleach down the loo to keep it clean.

Can we get bleach here? What is it called?

If not, what do you use?

Thanks.

Hi Silapin

Using Bleach/Haiter is OK as long as you are on mains drainage, however if you have a septic tank or similar it will kill the bacteria which break down the waste.

TBWG :o

1. To thoroughly clean the toilet.

2. Add a small amount of bleach / shampoo to the toilet water, and have both lids lifted.

3. Obtain your cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

4. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids (you may need to stand on the lid so that he cannot escape).

5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a 'power wash and rinse' which I have found to be quite effective. Ignore any noises the cat may make, he is actually enjoying helping you.

6. Have someone open the door to the outside and ensure that there are no people between the toilet and the outside door.

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

8. The cat will rocket out of the toilet, and run outside where he will dry himself.

Sincerely,

The Dog

2. Add a small amount of bleach / shampoo to the toilet water, and have both lids lifted.

4. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids (you may need to stand on the lid so that he cannot escape).

5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a 'power wash and rinse' which I have found to be quite effective. Ignore any noises the cat may make, he is actually enjoying helping you.

6. Have someone open the door to the outside and ensure that there are no people between the toilet and the outside door.

8. The cat will rocket out of the toilet, and run outside where he will dry himself.

Sincerely,

The Dog

Will this work with female cats, or should I scour the neighbourhood for a Tom?

Sincerely,

The Dog

Ooops double post....how did that happen then?

Edited by geoffphuket

3. Obtain your cat and soothe it while you carry it towards the bathroom.

4. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids (you may need to stand on the lid so that it cannot escape).

5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a 'power wash and rinse' which I have found to be quite effective. Ignore any noises the cat may make, it is actually enjoying helping you.

8. The cat will rocket out of the toilet, and run outside where it will dry itself.

Sincerely,

The Dog

Ooops double post....how did that happen then?

Happy :o I've also fixed all the other male only references :D

What are those legal words that end up in contract disclaimers, something about references to the male gender shall also mean the female and vice-versa and singular also meaning plural etc etc :D

Edited by Crossy

"Pouring" bleach or other cleaning agent down the toilet does little to clean the surfaces where nasty smelly things live, but is shown as the way to clean toilets on TV as it inceases usage the P&Gs of this world's profits. You (or your cleaner) needs to understand that the task is to remove the limescale layer with a physical scrubber (!) first then use a small amount of bleach/etc.

In my household I have the cleaning agent (not bleach) in a small handheld spray pump, toilet is cleaned without screwing up the water that goes into the main drains. When we have the septic tamk on the up-country house I will look at bio-freindly solutions, I know of some people that use lemon juice, but again the risk is killing the nice bactiera in the tank.

What are those legal words that end up in contract disclaimers, something about references to the male gender shall also mean the female and vice-versa and singular also meaning plural etc etc :o

These words?: :D

SINGULAR AND PLURAL AND GENDER

Words importing persons or parties shall include firms or companies and words importing the singular only shall also include the plural, and vice versa, where the context so requires. Use of pronouns or other words indicating the male gender shall also mean the female gender, and vice versa, where the context so requires.

I buy HAITER(bleach) from the supermarkets or Vixol which is a toilet cleaner that's extra strong.

Vixol - especially the stuff in the white container - is VERY strong hydrochloric acid (20%). I'm amazed it's allowed on sale. It'll eat away your drain and cement if you're not careful. You're supposed to dilute 1:3 with water before use and wash thoroughly after.

Haiter is a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and - I think - an organic sulphate. I don't like it much, but it can be used on clothes if you follow the instructions. Im sure its cholrine based bleach (sodium hypochlorite), from the fumes it gives off

The one that I like is chlorine based, but is very hard to get now. It's called "Dr Clean Bathroom Cleaner". The Tops supermarket in Robinsons used to sell it, but I haven't seen it for ages.

I suppose a swimming pool supplier should have some kind of chlorine based water purifier which could be used as bleach.

I noticed when in the UK recently that people use bleach down the loo to keep it clean.

Can we get bleach here? What is it called?

If not, what do you use?

Thanks.

Flushing bleach down the toilet on a regular basis isn't very good for the environment. I'm sad to hear it's a common practice in the UK.

May I suggest a toilet bowl brush with tiny bit of suitable cleaner and a generous amount of elbow grease?

Edited by pattyboy

Haiter is a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and - I think - an organic sulphate. I don't like it much, but it can be used on clothes if you follow the instructions. Im sure its cholrine based bleach (sodium hypochlorite), from the fumes it gives off

I think you're right! :o I just remembered that there are two types of Haiter. There's a yellow bottle with a green cap which is OK for coloureds (in the washing machine) and there's another one which I think is a white bottle.

After Googling some more, the original Haiter was indeed chlorine based: http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:8FMbG9...t=clnk&cd=1

The stuff I have is for use in the washing machine on coloured clothes, so I guess that's why it doesn't contain chlorine. I shall definitely try the other stuff for general use.

Thai people swear by a cleaning liquid which is called PET. Pet means duck, and there is indeed a picture of a duck on the bottle. The toilets in my resort are always getting brown stains because there is metal in my well water, and the only way to remove the stains is to pour Pet on them, and leave it there for a while. You can get Pet in any well stocked supermarket.

Oh, if only all threads could be as interesting as this one.