Thai Airways To Buy 14 Planes Over Five Years

george

Thai Airways to buy 14 planes over five years

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International will buy 14 new planes as part of a five-year effort to become the leading carrier in Southeast Asia, a company statement said.

The airline will buy the planes, including six long-range aircraft, between 2005 and 2010 to expand the carrier's routes and increase flight frequency, particularly to the United States and Australia, according to the statement Wednesday.

The purchases are part of a long-term plan approved by the Thai Airways board "to become the region's leading carrier by acquiring modern, high technology aircraft,'' the statement said.

The statement did not say what brand of aircraft the company would buy, but The Nation newspaper reported that the acquisition would include eight Airbus and six Boeing jets.

Separately, Thai Airways is awaiting the delivery of eight Airbus long-range jetliners it ordered last year.

Last August, the government approved a budget of 44.3 billion baht (US$1.12 billion) for the purchase of five A340-600s and three A340-500s.

-- AP 2004-07-29

Sounds good :D

After so many years using China Air,Bin Man,Sing/Ba/Quantas,Royal Bru,Garuda,and even one flight a few years ago with Lauda I seem to be using Thai more often.

Handy to leave office here in Islington at 6-00pm on a Friday night,nip along to Paddington for the Heathrow Express and catch the 9-30pm "shuttle" to Bangers ...following a couple of complimentary Bevs.in the lounge.

Last trip I managed the earlier connection to Chiang Mai at Don.M since only carry tesco bag hand luggage and was in the Bar at Rydges by 5 pm ....not bad.

Next trip will give us Gold card so looking forward to checking out all those new Trendy,Sexy Airport Lounges at Sue-Wani (next year :o ) :D Smooth as S

The MD11's and A300's will probably be retired eventually, as TG takes delivery of new fleet. A340's will look great in Thai livery.

I travelled Business Class on Swiss Airlines New A340, very very nice, only Bkk to Singapore return, but i could have easily carried on to Europe, those electric seats are great.

The service of Thai is still legendary but I would really appreciate if they will get new planes.

It's unacceptable to pay the same price for a ticket than for Swiss, SIA a.s.o. seating in a old MD-11 without Personal TV, lie-flat bed a.s.o.

As soon as they have the A-340 or the B-747 with at least some comfort I would

like to fly smoth as silk again.

...but as fare as I heart even the 2 new delivered B-747 don't have Personal TV

in economy :-((