Croc Bag For Mom - Illegal In Us For Import?

h5n1

I had a look at the Fish&Wildlife site and was dazed by the jargon. Does anyone know if I can bring a croc bag home to my mother? I contacted the US embassy, they did not really know but said on a hunch -no. When I was looking at bags the girl said she had certificates for the products (this is Thailand, I'm sure she did :o )

I had a look at the Fish&Wildlife site and was dazed by the jargon. Does anyone know if I can bring a croc bag home to my mother? I contacted the US embassy, they did not really know but said on a hunch -no. When I was looking at bags the girl said she had certificates for the products (this is Thailand, I'm sure she did :o )

You will need documents to certify that the skin came from "farmed" crocodiles and not wild animals.

The Crocodile Farm and any dealer selling their, or similar, products should supply this on purchase.

Patrick

You will need documents to certify that the skin came from "farmed" crocodiles and not wild animals.

Sadly, the wild Siamese Crocodile is now extinct in Thailand. Thanks to years and years of people wanting to take croc bags home for mom..

:o

just buy a copy one .she'll never know the difference ...............

Were you looking at this site?

http://www.fws.gov/permits/faqs/FaqC.shtml

Near as I can tell, here's the situation. There are 3 categories of endangered classification and crocodiles fall into "Appendix I" or "Appendix II" depending on the species. Appendix I animals require the permit to import. Appendix II animals do not. If you've been to Australia recently there might be more scrutiny since the Australian crocodile seems to be very endangered.

So if you go to the store and the certificate has the scientific name for the crocodile, look it up here:

http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.shtml

Under the CROCODYLIA Alligators, caimans, crocodiles category. If it is there in red, it is Appendix I and you need the permit. If it is not there, it is Appendix II and no permit required.

However, they also say this:

"We allow the import and re-export of crocodilian parts, products, and derivatives as accompanying personal baggage or effects, or as part of a move of household effects without a CITES or ESA permit when the quantity is no more than four. You must declare these personal items on your Customs declaration form at the time of import. Not all CITES countries recognize these exemptions, and may require a CITES permit. "

So if it is not a gift, but is your bag, it seems to be allowable without the permit.

Once Thought Extinct, Siamese Crocodile Is Photographed In Thailand

Science Daily — NEW YORK -- A team of conservationists led by the New York-based Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) have re-discovered the Siamese crocodile in Thailand (formally known as Siam), capturing the animal on film while surveying for tigers. The crocodile, estimated at seven feet, was photographed by a remote camera trap as it lumbered along a riverbank in an isolated forest near the Thai-Myanmar border. Except for a single animal that has lived in a park for years, scientists believed the Siamese crocodile was extinct in Thailand until this discovery.

"We were lucky to record the crocodile," said Lynam, who has studied tigers and other cryptic fauna in Thailand since 1990. "It was number 37 on a roll of 36 exposure film. The other pictures on the film included otters, macaques and a Buddhist monk on walkabout in the forest."
:o

More here.