Car Heaters

Gary A

How many vehicles here in Thailand have heaters and defrosters for the windshield? I was pleased to find out that my Ford Focus Ghia is equipped with both. I never missed a heater until I moved up to Loei so never really paid much attention. The reason I ask is because when I buy a new pick up truck a heater is an important consideration.

My Honda jazz has a heater + screen defrost + rear window window has the wire inside for auto demissed.

The New Isuzu pickup has both heater and window defroster

Since my wife wants a new Isuzu, that would sway the argument in her direction.

My Honda jazz has a heater

Are you sure? The analogue temperature selector is completely blue (there would be a red zone if heat was available), plus I see no plumbing coming into the cab.

Civics on up *do* have heaters in Thailand.

my sportrider and fortuner both have heated rear windscreens ,neither have heaters.cant imagine down here in samui would ever use it anyway ............

How many vehicles here in Thailand have heaters and defrosters for the windshield? I was pleased to find out that my Ford Focus Ghia is equipped with both. I never missed a heater until I moved up to Loei so never really paid much attention. The reason I ask is because when I buy a new pick up truck a heater is an important consideration.

I've never seen a Truck with a heater in Thailand, Fortuner has Climate Control, but no heater.

I would like a Heater too, Gary is right, Loei can get very cold at night, surprisingly cold in fact!

• 3 months later...

I'm a little late replying here, but I wonder if cars that don't have heaters (assembled here, obviously) can have a heater added. Maybe the parts can be ordered from the dealer. I imagine they just put in a "tube" that sends the hot water that would go to a heater back into the radiator, so plugging in a heater would be pretty simple.

I was surprised to find that most cars don't have heaters in Thailand. They can useful even in hot climates since they can help keep the windows clear, as mentioned above, and to keep air dryer in the cabin. They can also come in handy if the radiator starts overheating, but obviously you'd want to head straight to the radiator man if that was necessary.

There are enough provinces in the North that get cold enough for cabin heaters, even if most people don't have heaters in their homes - or do they use space heaters in CM, etc.? Hey, most places get cool enough in the morning that is would be nice to turn on the cabin heater in the car on the way to work, or whatever.

Even my 2004 Nissan pickup has wires in the rear window but why do they forget the windshield? I don't normally drive backwards. I would even be satisfied with dash vents to keep the windshield free of condensation. Many years ago they sold a dash mounted fan that plugged into the cigarette lighter. I haven't seen one of those for 35 years.

• 3 months later...

All but one of my cars have heaters, whether or not they actually work anymore (having never used them in Thailand) is another question. I did take out the heater core in one of my classics, can't remember why.

The Triton does not have a heater, but I'm sure you can order one with one installed. After all, they gotta export them with heaters. The forum sponsor used to hang around this board (Terdsak i think was his callsign) and i think his little company can do the installations for you IIRC.

Would it be possible to reverse cycle the AC unit with a solenoid control valve and change the thermostat. Reverse cycle AC units just switch the flow of cold evaporating refrigerant and the liquid refrigerant (hot) from evaporator to condenser and vise-versa. Therefore allowing the AC system to heat aswell as cool.

PS My D-max has windscreen de-mist vents but no heater.

Edited by Pomthai

Loei province gets quite cold November through January. The worst problem is the windshield steaming up. Keeping a towel handy to wipe the windshield is a bummer especially at night.
My DMax doesn't have a heater but there is a defrost facility which directs the A/C to the windscreen. May sound strange but airconditioned air is dry and it quickly clears the moisture. TW just ruggs up. :o

Even my 2004 Nissan pickup has wires in the rear window but why do they forget the windshield? I don't normally drive backwards. I would even be satisfied with dash vents to keep the windshield free of condensation. Many years ago they sold a dash mounted fan that plugged into the cigarette lighter. I haven't seen one of those for 35 years.

Hi Gary A yes so does my 2004 Nissan Special Edition = but why with no control & even in Khon Kaen on the odd occaision I could do with front & rear demisting,

• 7 months later...

I am in Khon Kaen,and the last few days we could have used heaters here too.

Besides simply warming the cab, heaters serve several other useful functions:

• Clearing the windshield of moisture. While the evaporator in an A/C can do this also, sometimes it is not as effective. For example, A/C can sometimes initially dry the glass, but then chill the glass so that outside air then condenses, forcing frequent use of wipers. A heated defroster is much more effective in this condition
  • Many Thai cars/trucks don't even have a defrost position for redirecting A/C air up to the windshield! :o
  • A/C is hard to regulate and throttle back (if the cab is getting too cold.) Adding heat to the mix is far more effective at achieving the desired temperature.

I can't imagine (in the overall scheme of things) that much money is really saved by eliminating heaters due to the perceived lack of need in the Thai market. Seems to me since the overwhelming majority of cars used around the world need them, they are incurring extra expenses to design and build separate versions.

I am in Khon Kaen,and the last few days we could have used heaters here too.

Besides simply warming the cab, heaters serve several other useful functions:

• Clearing the windshield of moisture. While the evaporator in an A/C can do this also, sometimes it is not as effective. For example, A/C can sometimes initially dry the glass, but then chill the glass so that outside air then condenses, forcing frequent use of wipers. A heated defroster is much more effective in this condition
  • Many Thai cars/trucks don't even have a defrost position for redirecting A/C air up to the windshield! :o
  • A/C is hard to regulate and throttle back (if the cab is getting too cold.) Adding heat to the mix is far more effective at achieving the desired temperature.

I can't imagine (in the overall scheme of things) that much money is really saved by eliminating heaters due to the perceived lack of need in the Thai market. Seems to me since the overwhelming majority of cars used around the world need them, they are incurring extra expenses to design and build separate versions.

I think a huge amount of money is saved by not fitting heaters, 1/2 million vehcles sold each year without heaters that would have lets say a nominal 1000baht heater deleated. Not a structural part of the vehicle so easy design two versions at initial conception, if it was not cost efective manufacturers would not do it.

I've never seen a Truck with a heater in Thailand, Fortuner has Climate Control, but no heater.

But then, Fortuners don't really need heaters. They're usually travelling so fast, the front is glowing a la space-shuttle.

Have to concede most do drive that way, sad really.

Loei province gets quite cold November through January. The worst problem is the windshield steaming up. Keeping a towel handy to wipe the windshield is a bummer especially at night.
turn on the aircon on low on your windshield it will dry it up in a matter of seconds :o

using the air con will prevent windows steaming up

So will:

1) Cracking the windows a few inches

2) No heavy breathing while driving

ddrb,

Unfortuantely the passengers inside your car can't help but breathe heavily....AND SCREAM.....AND SCRATCH AT THE DOOR LOCKS....ETC ETC :o:D

turn on the aircon on low on your windshield it will dry it up in a matter of seconds :o

Yes...but in Loei, or even in Korat for that matter, this time of year, running the AC will result in the passenger compartment very quickly resembling a walk-in freezer.

That is certainly the case with my Hilux anyway.