Bars Can Stay Open Until 2 Am, For Now

george

Bars can stay open until 2 a.m., for now

Interior Ministry’s midnight closing plan postponed again

PATTAYA: Not much has been heard lately about the Interior Ministry’s proposed midnight closing for entertainment venues. According to Anucha Mokka, MOI deputy permanent secretary, this is because the plan has once again been postponed.

The deputy secretary reiterated, however, that the plan is postponed, not forgotten, and that Pattaya’s entertainment venues should adhere to current rules and regulations or risk incurring the wrath of law enforcement or, worse yet, the Interior Ministry.

Apparently the MOI feels that local entertainment venues have been bending the laws of late, so the MOI sent the deputy secretary down to Pattaya to meet with law enforcement agencies, and provincial and local government officials at the Ambassador City Jomtien Hotel on Monday, July 26. The province’s cafe, bar and massage parlor owners were also called in.

Deputy Secretary Anucha started by telling the meeting that he was here as part of the government’s effort to ease their concerns over proposed changes to the legislation. He assured them there would be no immediate changes to the laws proposed January 13, but he wanted to create a better level of understanding for all concerned, especially in enforcing the current regulations.

The focus is being put on the six ironclad social order rules:

1) All venues must have authorization to operate and are subject to inspection;

2) Patrons under 20 years of age are prohibited from entering during operating hours (staff over 18 are able to work in the establishments);

3) No narcotics or illegal mind altering substances are allowed on the premises;

4) Lewd or inappropriate entertainment is prohibited;

5) Strictly follow operating hours as classified in the legislation and in accordance with operating licenses; and

6) Weapons inside entertainment venues are strictly prohibited; this is applicable to members of the public and law enforcement agencies.

Penalties for infringement are set to range from imprisonment, increased fines and or cancellation of operating license and numerous other guidelines as well as tighter rules on closing venues that break the law, ranging from 30 days to permanent closure.

The increased entertainment venue license registration fees will remain in effect, with a new operators license set at 50,000 baht; Interim license 1,000 baht and License renewal 10,000 baht per year. Fees also take into account the type and size of venue under the amended legislation.

During the meeting government officers and business operators voiced their concerns over the lack of clarity in the legislation and as such the issue was discussed at length. For further understanding, a booklet outlining the legislation was handed out to all attendees.

-- Pattaya Mail 2004-07-30

Law enforcement agencies are not allowed to take weapons into places of entertainment - should make drug busts interesting

A booklet was issued - bet it was only in Thai - this government is far worse than the previous one in providing information in the English language, despite most of the cabionet being international business people as well as politicians. Ever noticed how many government websites have trimmed back or removed their English pages?

I see the focus on the six points outlined as being an attention diverter from the primary issues of falling tourist arrivals - as witnessed on the streets not in the goivernment figures - and the difficulties venue operators have in turning decent profits under the curtailed opening.

Basically MOI is trying to turn heads away from the most critical issue facing the industry.

I think 2 am is about right. They have to find a happy medium between satisfying tourist requirements and the moral, middle-class Thai majority. But the 20-year-old patron rule is ridiculous when 18-year-old prostitute-performers can be barfined for private sexual encounters.

Vaccination damage and artificial lighting have caused young people to become sexually mature earlier than was the case 100-150 years ago. But don't expect the scientists who created the situation to accept this reality anytime soon.

:o

Oh well, here we go again. Everything changes to remain the same.

We can moan, groan, whine and complain all we want but the authorities will do whatever they want anyway. As for the bars complaing about the lack of customers - try getting some decent looking girls and drop the price of drinks. You never know but some punters may actually appreciate this.

The focus is being put on the six ironclad social order rules:

2) Patrons under 20 years of age are prohibited from entering during operating hours (staff over 18 are able to work in the establishments);

3) No narcotics or illegal mind altering substances are allowed on the premises;

4) Lewd or inappropriate entertainment is prohibited;

6) Weapons inside entertainment venues are strictly prohibited; this is applicable to members of the public and law enforcement agencies.

Penalties for infringement are set to range from imprisonment, increased fines and or cancellation of operating license and numerous other guidelines as well as tighter rules on closing venues that break the law, ranging from 30 days to permanent closure.

The increased entertainment venue license registration fees will remain in effect, with a new operators license set at 50,000 baht; Interim license 1,000 baht and License renewal 10,000 baht per year. Fees also take into account the type and size of venue under the amended legislation.

During the meeting government officers and business operators voiced their concerns over the lack of clarity in the legislation and as such the issue was discussed at length. For further understanding, a booklet outlining the legislation was handed out to all attendees.

-- Pattaya Mail 2004-07-30

C'mon George get real, have you ever seen a Thai walloper check his weapon in at the door of a whore house, doesn't happen, and he will NEVER get fined anything :o ....TIT

Agreed.

AND what about the 'big mango' and Chiangmai?

Are the rules (read law's) for Pattaya, Bangkok and Chaingmai (and everywhere else in the realm for that matter) not consistent, not the same and if not why not?

The whole business is typical of everything that they do here.

It is laughable and just one gi'normous joke :o

A recap:

Earlier this year they changed the closing time from 2am to 1am

Clubs and bars lost revenue, and thus lower profits.

There was less to pay off the police and their associated politicians.

So now closing time has been moved back to 2am.

TIT

I've never seen a walk-through or hand-held metal detector in any nightclub in Thailand ... not even in clubs prominently displaying "No Drugs/No Guns" signs. Surrendering your gun at the door is legally required, but there are no checks.

A couple of places I frequent have walk-thru metal detectors in addition to patting down patrons. Started after the most recent Chalerm shooting.

I think 2 am is about right. They have to find a happy medium between satisfying tourist requirements and the moral, middle-class Thai majority. But the 20-year-old patron rule is ridiculous when 18-year-old prostitute-performers can be barfined for private sexual encounters.

Vaccination damage and artificial lighting have caused young people to become sexually mature earlier than was the case 100-150 years ago. But don't expect the scientists who created the situation to accept this reality anytime soon.

Moral, middle-class Thai Majority? - how long you been here?

3 years ago when they changed the rules on who is allowed to have a credit card to applicants must have a minimum income of 20K baht per month, one of the major nationals (Thai Farmers I think but am not sure) complained that according to government figures, there were less than ONE million Thais with income above this level. And that of those with income over 15K per month, there was only 2.6 million.

So, please qualify what makes a Thai middle class and explain how they are the majority?

Yes they're all richer than we impoverished farangs who are not permitted to own land, but in most countries social class by wealth is defined from liquid assets, not from fixed assets.

(Stands back and ducks under desk to dodge the flames of wrath)

Gaz

Is it really true that female dancers dance in invisible clothes in the goggo-bars? And where do they go in these bars? If these bars close earlier they still can catch the buss home. So it might be a good idea to close these bars about half an hour before the last buss leaves.

Why are so many people of this forum writing about these goggo-bars. Do they go there? And if the dancers dance in invisible clothes, can you only see their heads and arms and legs? Do they wear something under their invisible clothes? Can you see that?

What kind of dances do they dance? Are they comparable to the ancient candle dance? But nowadays the candle dance is not danced bare-breasted anymore. Do they dance the candle dance with an invisible bra (excuse the word)?

Can somebody who goes tot goggo bars explain what is going on there?

And why so late? I looked at the European championship football and I regretted very much that it was so late.

So it might be a good idea to close these bars about half an hour before the last buss leaves.

What I ment is that they might need some time to change clothes, clean up and walk to the nearest bus-stop.

What I don't understand is, that it is not forbidden. Think if somebody would wear invisible clothes with gloves and shoes just as invisible, then he or she could walk into a bank only showing his or hers eyes. Maybe even hidden by invisible spectacles. It would make it easy to rob the bank and to come away with it (if the money was put in an invisible bag).

I mean, God created humans naked as they say, but that was before the time of the aircon. So I really don't understand it completely.

YES, THEY'RE AT IT AGAIN!

I THINK MOST PEOPLE CAN ACCEPT 02.00AM CLOSING

TIMES BUT MANY 'NIGHT' PEOPLE ALSO FORGET THAT MORE

PEOPLE WORK DURING DAY TIME ANYWAY.

DUE TO THE STUPID PLANNING IN THIS COUNTRY, THEY GO

AND BUILD A NEW APARTMENT BLOCK RIGHT NEXT TO A DISCO

OR BEER BAR, THUS AUTOMATICALLY CAUSING ANNOYANCE

TO MANY PEOPLE.

20 YEARS OLD IS CERTAINLY OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY,

IT SHOULD INDEED BE 18, LIKE FOR MOST OTHER THINGS.

IN CHIANG MAI ALOT OF PLACES ALREADY HAVE TO CLOSE

AT 24.00!!

MIND YOU, GO DOWN TO PATTAYA, TAKE A LOOK AT PLACES

LIKE HOLLYWOOD DISCO AND PEOPLE ARE STILL WALKING IN

AT 01.50AM WITH A FULL BOTTLE OF WHISKY! FAST DRINKERS?

NO, THE DISCO DOESN'T EMPTY OUT UNTIL 02.45AM.

SAME STORY OTHER PLACES, TURN THE NEON LIGHTS OUT AT

02.00AM BUT STILL KEEP GOING.

SOME KARAOKE BARS IN SOI DAY AND NIGHT AREA ARE STILL

GOING AT 05.00AM! OF COURSE, THE POLICE CAN NEVER FIND THEM???

SORRY BUT IT IS STUPID TO MAKE THESE LAWS AND NOT REALLY

ENFORCE THEM. IF YOU'KNOW'THE RIGHT POLICEMEN YOU CAN

GET AWAY WITH IT, IF YOU DON'T AND ARE NEXT DOOR, YOU'LL

GET RAIDED AND SHUT DOWN.

ALL BARS, CAFES ETC CLOSE AT 02.00AM.

NO SMOKING IN AIRCON RESTAURANTS ETC.

WEARING CRASH HELMETS WHILE RIDING MOTORBIKES.

NOT USING YOUR MOBILE WHILE DRIVING.

NOT DRINKING AND DRIVING.

SELLING ALCOHOL ON BUDDHA HOLIDAYS ETC.

SMOKING/TAKING DRUGS IN BARS (SEE KOH SAMUI ETC!!)

THE ABOVE LIST ARE ALL THINGS THAT SHOULD BE ENFORCED

ACCORDING TO THE LAW BUT..........

ONLY THE MEEK FALANG HAVE TO STAY PASSVE AND ACCEPT THE THAI

LAW BECAUSE WE ARE 'GUESTS' IN THIS LAND. BUT I ASK YOU... HOW

CAN ANYONE HAVE REAL RESPECT FOR THE LAW IN THESE SITUATIONS??

TIT JOKE!

Actually I liked it when I came to Phuket and the bars would stay open as long as they had a customer.

I used to feel sorry for the staff who had to do other jobs in the day as its not much fun to stay up all night for 1 or 2 cutomers and then go to work to support your family

I just wonder how all these nighthawks manage to enjoy the mornings in Thailand.

The early mornings are beautiful. The air is cool, larded with bird-songs. The markets are a feast for the eye, the freshness of the day enriches the soul.

This is Thailand! Enjoy it and it will embrace you!

2 am is ok, i'd prefer another hour but so be it.

the police should enforce it more i think, not between 1.30 and 1.45 as usual but after 2 am with a bit of descretion to let places empty out.

the sihthole outside my place (which ruins my reputation because of the ###### that drink there looking for trouble) is open 24 hrs a day 7 days a week and i'm sick of cleaning off blood and puke from my walls everyday.

3 - 4 am is late enough, all the all night power drinkers, who you see pissed out of their skulls every morning are the kind of tourist that i believe we don't need here.

Just my opinion.

REPEATED FROM A NEW THREAD IN THE CHIANGMAI FORUM -

An issue I have watched for 5 years in Chiangnai reates to the "intermittent loss of service for ATMs", normally around one hour before the currently favoured closing time of entertainment venues (whatever that may be at any given date.

To illustrate - 5 years ago (1999-2000 under the Democrat governement) on a Friday night, the Siam Commercial Bank ATMa used to shut down until breakfast time. One a week and only one bank = not a problem really.

However, since early 2001 (coming to power of Dr Cheerless & Co.), I've noticed that most banks' ATM's, for both foreign and domestic accounts, stop permitting withdrawals over 1,000 Baht after 1 hour before whatever the currently promoted / hoped for / intended closing hour is for night time entertainment places, and that they remain disfunctional until breakfast time (normally around 6am).

Has anyone else noticed this trend?

Does anyone else believe this to be a secondary attempt by government to control the late night habits of the masses?

It is, after all, too co-incidental to the change in government, and in the light of recent tourism campaigns, too convenient that the "preferred" tourists are tucked up in bed in 5 star hotels (cabinet owned) before the ATMs shut down, and do not wake up before the ATMs resume service, whilst all of us expats enjoying a night out are suddenly unable to withdraw the bar fines for the non-cabinet owned bar beers etc.

So - am I alone in identifying this trend?

Have you noticed it as well, but not really thought aboout it?