Issan Is Divided Into 19 Provinces.

Cheeky Farang

Where are you from ?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Issan is divided into 19 provinces,

So leading on from Tosters thread about nearest towns, I have now set up a Poll that includes all the Issan Provinces. May be useful if you think you are alone out there in "Ban Noork"

T.V members might to also like to state their nationality and language(s) spoken. This may also be useful, i.e I have a German just down the road from me, and can only speak German. When we meet the conversation is 4 sided, he speaks in German to his Wife, she then translates into Thai to my Mrs then she then give it to me in English. How much is lost in translation I will never know, but we do manage to sink some beers together from time to time with communication instead of just using hand signals etc.

CF

Edited by Cheeky Farang

Once the sample size is sufficient, it could be useful as a tool to decide where...or where not....to move

I live in a small village, Ban Tako, 80 Km NW of Korat. We (some of us) sometimes refer to the village as "little Sweden" as there are a lot of Swedes who have built homes here. So if you are Swede don't move here, as there are already enough of you in this village. :D Got to admit though that most of them are a good lot and sure do enjoy the beer, so I don't lack for company in that respect :o

lol....perhaps once the numbers are in, they can be broken down by nationality

Nova

that is good idea, but to give all of you little hint from Ubon what we have here, info got from small gathering here first time 24th Feb 2006, we got nice 75 people in total(inc Wife's and kids)

we got 11 different nationalities includ Thai.

or should i say only 10 cos, 1 swed run away when he saw TV cameras.. :o

I Love Surin. It is probably one of the most peaceful towns I have ever lived in. That is probably why all this stuff about violance in Thailand doesn't wash with me. The locals here are so friendly, wherever you go, in town or visiting villages.

Things against; They are the worst drivers in Thailand ( in fact some of the Thais are bad as well) No, joking aside it is a wonderful place to live. Especially as it is growing at an enormous rate. We have a great bunch of Falangs here as well. Naturally we have the idiot class sprinkled amoung them ( in fact a few reckon I fall into that catogary)but on the whole they are few and far between, and seem to operate in packs. In fact another amazing fact is in the five years I have owned the Farang Connection, we have not had one fight in the Pub( unless you count me and the missus. Sorry ex-missus) A few close shaves, but any sign of trouble I normally tell everyone to go, and close the pub. That has happened twice.

As for languages, although I can't actually speak Thai, I understand most of it. Again biggest problem is most Thais here don't speak Thai. I speak pretty fluent German, fair Swedish, and can get by in Spanish and Dutch, Norwegian and Dansk. One of the more amusing things is up to a few months ago, I could speak more Hebrew than Thai. In fact that was one of the main things that got me my work permit, the fact I can converse with so many of the tourists that come into Surin.

Two years ago I received an award from the Governer , for services to Surin. It was for a television programme I did called 'Knock door English' that was broadcast weekly. I went around town with a TV crew teaching Tuk-Tuk, Samlo and Motorbike taxi, English.

All in all, this is my home now, and I hope it will be for as long as I live.

And also, don't forget you can get more goodies from from home (food wise) than most places in Thailand, between The Farang Connection and Nobbies mini-mart and European food store. In fact we sell a lot of stuff you can't get anywhere else in Thailand.

I also like Surin........especially those days (evenings) when the food and drinks are free in the good old FC. :o

Otherwise I like my quiet corner in the South -West of Ubon province. :D

As for languages, although I can't actually speak Thai, I understand most of it. Again biggest problem is most Thais here don't speak Thai. I speak pretty fluent German, fair Swedish, and can get by in Spanish and Dutch, Norwegian and Dansk.

And more recently hungarian... ? :o

totster :D

I Love Surin. It is probably one of the most peaceful towns I have ever lived in. That is probably why all this stuff about violance in Thailand doesn't wash with me. The locals here are so friendly, wherever you go, in town or visiting villages.

Things against; They are the worst drivers in Thailand ( in fact some of the Thais are bad as well) No, joking aside it is a wonderful place to live. Especially as it is growing at an enormous rate. We have a great bunch of Falangs here as well. Naturally we have the idiot class sprinkled amoung them ( in fact a few reckon I fall into that catogary)but on the whole they are few and far between, and seem to operate in packs. In fact another amazing fact is in the five years I have owned the Farang Connection, we have not had one fight in the Pub( unless you count me and the missus. Sorry ex-missus) A few close shaves, but any sign of trouble I normally tell everyone to go, and close the pub. That has happened twice.

As for languages, although I can't actually speak Thai, I understand most of it. Again biggest problem is most Thais here don't speak Thai. I speak pretty fluent German, fair Swedish, and can get by in Spanish and Dutch, Norwegian and Dansk. One of the more amusing things is up to a few months ago, I could speak more Hebrew than Thai. In fact that was one of the main things that got me my work permit, the fact I can converse with so many of the tourists that come into Surin.

Two years ago I received an award from the Governer , for services to Surin. It was for a television programme I did called 'Knock door English' that was broadcast weekly. I went around town with a TV crew teaching Tuk-Tuk, Samlo and Motorbike taxi, English.

All in all, this is my home now, and I hope it will be for as long as I live.

And also, don't forget you can get more goodies from from home (food wise) than most places in Thailand, between The Farang Connection and Nobbies mini-mart and European food store. In fact we sell a lot of stuff you can't get anywhere else in Thailand.

Where in the world did you learn Danish ??? There are barely enough people there to make a nation, most of them has left the country (me being one of them)

Regards

The family home is very close to pattaya 2 ( huge fresh water lake )

it would be intresting to know if anyone else is near by ?

Hi colino,

I have had conflicting directions to Pattaya 2, maybe you can settle this for me, is it on the East Side of Ubon Ratana Dam or the West side? I have been to a place not far from Ubon Ratana on the East side that was full of floating pontoon eating rafts etc but a few people (and a tourist brochure) have said it is on the West side turn off from road 2038 not far from Non Thong.

Khun Andy

Loads of votes so far, looks like a 50/50 on full timers to the 2Come&Go’s”

I forgot to put my nationality down AND SO HAVE MANY OF YOU OTHERS.

Nationality = Brit

Languages spoken = English, Australian, American, Splatter of Spanish & French

Issan = Korat

CF

Hey CF you better take off American from Language spoken.I have talked with you a few times.Our family home is right down a few sois from you.You can not speak American trust me I am an American. :o

Gotta agree with blue eyes....no way does Cheeky speak American, though he does seem to understand some of the cliches and jokes....which is more than I can say for myself when it comes to understanding British humor. :o

Oh yea, my nationality=American

Where in the world did you learn Danish ??? There are barely enough people there to make a nation, most of them has left the country (me being one of them)

Regards

I livd in Grenna for a while, and I adapted my Swedish to it, athough there isquite a lot a lot of difference eg pols and korv, pigg and flicker. I still find Danish the hardest language in the World to count in though.

Besides; I drink Gammel Dansk

Regards

I livd in Grenna for a while, and I adapted my Swedish to it, athough there isquite a lot a lot of difference eg pols and korv, pigg and flicker. I still find Danish the hardest language in the World to count in though.

Besides; I drink Gammel Dansk

Gammel Dansk gave me the worst hangover 16 years ago, never touch the stuff since.

My Swedish is a bit rusty, Svenska flicker, dem a vildla, knuller bra men lugter illar, :D I worked in Stockholm for about 6 month, a long time ago, had some good fun there, except with Polisen, they said that I kjore for fort, and I said nope, this is not a Ford, it's a Yamaha, he dident think that was funny..... :o

Hi colino,

I have had conflicting directions to Pattaya 2, maybe you can settle this for me, is it on the East Side of Ubon Ratana Dam or the West side? I have been to a place not far from Ubon Ratana on the East side that was full of floating pontoon eating rafts etc but a few people (and a tourist brochure) have said it is on the West side turn off from road 2038 not far from Non Thong.

Khun Andy

Its on the west side. The east side you visited was Bang San 2 (excuse the spelling).

We go there quite often.

To fill the rest:

Aussie / UK / French (great combo)

English / smattering of several Asian languages / 'get by' French & German.

40k from Chaiyaphum city - well, almost a city. Really just a big country town. When it gets older, it wants to be a city.

Srisaket here! In a small village close to Khun Han. Will be a full timer in Nov after house is finished.

I am a Canadian, I can speak English, Thai ok but still needs alot of work and french as some of you know after the beers kick in!

I have had conflicting directions to Pattaya 2, maybe you can settle this for me, is it on the East Side of Ubon Ratana Dam or the West side?

Pattaya 2 is on the West side; Bang Saen 2 on the East side of the Ubon Rat lake.

Bang Saen 2 is near the dam - Pataya 2 can be reached from the Phu Wiang side.

Regards

Thedi

Hi colino,

Khun Andy

Its on the west side. The east side you visited was Bang San 2 (excuse the spelling).

We go there quite often.

Thanks for that, I will try to check it out when I am going near there next time