Issan Is Divided Into 19 Provinces.

Cheeky Farang

Where are you from ?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I´m a Brit from N.E. England, who has lived in Berlin for the last 31 years. My wife and I visit Nongwahyay, about 8 km outside Nongbualamphu, every 18 months or so........we´ll be there March/April next year again. I speak, read and write reasonable thai...............but, as we all know, the locals communicate pretty exclusively in Isaan, which I find somewhat frustrating - and sometimes annoying - , especially when they insist on speaking Isaan to one another, even when I am immediately involved in the conversation..... otherwise I speak German and Russian (studied both at university and trained to be a spy.............. listened in on the East German government from 1976-1979 in Berlin....) and a bit of French.............. There are certainly more TV members in and around Nongbualamphu ... but they haven´t outed themselves yet-------------- :o

Iam American, retired USAir Force in 1987. I have lived in England (1969-1973) and Germany (1976 - 1983). We will be there on the 19th of Sept for the long haul and building our new home. Look forward to learning to read and write Thai/Issan and a slower pace of life. I can utter some German, Spanish, Taiwaneese, and of course Thai. We will be in Det Udom some 45km south of Ubon just off highway 24.

Rocky

I'm another Yank. Retired from US Navy in '04. Part-timed '04-06 in the wife's village - Ban Nong Song Hong between Nong Khai and Udorn Thani. Wife and kid's are there full time while I flop in and out between injun country and LOS. Have met/seen several farang in the village but they seem to like their privacy. We've got some land in Kaibokwan and Ban Ngom.

I had a good start on Thai language but then we came to Issan and that messed me up. Have to start over now. Use to speak passable Scottish, aye Ian a pint o' McEwanns, and enough to get into trouble in Mandarin, Japanese, Indonesian and Tagalog. my Arabic is improving for some reason.... :o

So far, it looks like Surin & Buriam take the lead on the most Farang populated T,Visa members ( bet that is making Martin at the farang-connection smile)

The % of comes&goes are also in the lead. Must be a lot of full time EXPAT wanna-be's out there.

Not many bods replied with there details, Wonder Why ?

Later

CF

Edited by Cheeky Farang

( bet that is making Martin at the farang-connection smile)

Too bloody true..............but then a lot of things make me smile. Being single again one of them.5555555555555555. In fact, next time I come to your house, maybe I won't have to sit there drinking flaming Coke all night.

Edited by finninuk

( bet that is making Martin at the farang-connection smile)

Too bloody true..............but then a lot of things make me smile. Being single again one of them.5555555555555555. In fact, next time I come to your house, maybe I won't have to sit there drinking flaming Coke all night.

That was supposed to come from me..............................................Jari didn't log out. Just noticed. Bloody Finns. Win a GP and think they own the place.

Edited by lampard10

I jumped the gun a little as I currently live in Pattaya (for the past 7 months) but am moving to Korat with the GF on Oct 1st. Just rented a room at the Crystal Palace until I can determine what area to build in. Do have 4 rai in Non Sung but I think that will be too far out as I like city life. I am from the US and do not miss it at all. I am retired, spent time in Viet Nam when people were shooting at you. Speak English and enough Thai to get me food, gas and a good time. :o Hope to meet some of you soon.

Hey CF you better take off American from Language spoken.I have talked with you a few times.Our family home is right down a few sois from you.You can not speak American trust me I am an American. :o

Hmm - do you sell used cars or R/E?

We live about fifty kilometers south of Muang Loei. Living out in the boonies is certainly not for everyone but it suits me just fine. Udon Thani is about 145 kilometers and that has the nearest superstore. There is a 7-11 in Wang Suphung about 30 kilometers away. We are about 150 kilometers from Khon Kaen.

when I am in Issan I live just between Khon Kaen and Kalasin (so province will be Khon Kaen), about 50 km to each City

presently however in Phuket until most likely after Songkran

sorry wife just tells me NO, we are in Kalasin province :D :D :o

Edited by seppl04

I have spent a lot of time in Yasothon and Ubon Ratchathani in the past, and now my life revolves around Mahasarakham, where my young family resides (I've been living in Sydney for the last 2 and half years on an international work assignment but my home is in London, UK and I was born and raised in Rome, Italy). There are farang living everywhere in Isaan notably in the Khon Kaen - Udon Thani belt but for some reason the Buri Ram - Surin brigade seems to be the most vociferous online. How comes?

Edited by Sarge

I have spent a lot of time in Yasothon and Ubon Ratchathani in the past, and now my life revolves around Mahasarakham, where my young family resides (I've been living in Sydney for the last 2 and half years on an international work assignment but my home is in London, UK and I was born and raised in Rome, Italy). There are farang living everywhere in Isaan notably in the Khon Kaen - Udon Thani belt but for some reason the Buri Ram - Surin brigade seems to be the most vociferous online. How comes?

They have a leader.........whereas the rest of us chickens and hens don´t have a cockerel to keep us in line........... :o

Iam American, retired USAir Force in 1987. I have lived in England (1969-1973) and Germany (1976 - 1983). We will be there on the 19th of Sept for the long haul and building our new home. Look forward to learning to read and write Thai/Issan and a slower pace of life. I can utter some German, Spanish, Taiwaneese, and of course Thai. We will be in Det Udom some 45km south of Ubon just off highway 24.

Rocky

Well hello, I will be making my last move to a small vill east of Chok Chai (korat) as well in a few years. We have too wrap up things here first. Retired 1994 22.5 years was enough.