Experience Working In Another Sea Country; Valuable In Thailand?

Hi guys,

I might have a chance to work in Vietnam for six months, doing some fairly interesting work. I've just graduated from university (but I have a fair amount of work experience in my field, which is high-tech). My heart is in Thailand, and I would like to come back to Thailand -- but I just don't see the same kind of opportunities there that I see in other Asian countries, like Singapore or China. I've always gotten my jobs at home through word-of-mouth and friends, whereas I'm stuck looking mostly online for jobs in Thailand, so it's quite possible that I just don't see what other great opportunities are available in LOS, or don't have the right contacts yet to get a good job.

I've thought of teaching, but the current visa situation for teachers is so thorny to navigate, I largely feel that it's not really worth the bother for a newcomer. I would probably enjoy teaching, especially if I could teach IT or mathematics, but I don't see myself teaching as a long-term career.

My question is: would getting some work experience in Vietnam, living and working in a SEA workplace, be considered an asset if I wanted to position myself for a good job in Thailand later? I'm in my late twenties, so I want to be careful not to dead-end myself with my career choices in Thailand.

Thanks for any info. :-)

Edited by canadiangirl

Hi guys,

I might have a chance to work in Vietnam for six months, doing some fairly interesting work. I've just graduated from university (but I have a fair amount of work experience in my field, which is high-tech). My heart is in Thailand, and I would like to come back to Thailand -- but I just don't see the same kind of opportunities there that I see in other Asian countries, like Singapore or China. I've always gotten my jobs at home through word-of-mouth and friends, whereas I'm stuck looking mostly online for jobs in Thailand, so it's quite possible that I just don't see what other great opportunities are available in LOS, or don't have the right contacts yet to get a good job.

I've thought of teaching, but the current visa situation for teachers is so thorny to navigate, I largely feel that it's not really worth the bother for a newcomer. I would probably enjoy teaching, especially if I could teach IT or mathematics, but I don't see myself teaching as a long-term career.

My question is: would getting some work experience in Vietnam, living and working in a SEA workplace, be considered an asset if I wanted to position myself for a good job in Thailand later? I'm in my late twenties, so I want to be careful not to dead-end myself with my career choices in Thailand.

Go for it !

Challenge yourself...and you'll be proud and happy after those 6 months...not everyone gets such an opportunity... :o

LaoPo

Hi guys,

Personally, I'd go for it - think the opportunities in Vietnam over the next few years will be FAR greater than they will be in Thailand now - and if you like the place you'll be well positioned to take advantage.

CC

Personally, I'd go for it - think the opportunities in Vietnam over the next few years will be FAR greater than they will be in Thailand now - and if you like the place you'll be well positioned to take advantage.

CC

Possibly, but that doesn't really answer the OP's original comment, that she likes it here; after all I know i would be far richer working in the UK or USA or Europe (and have worked a year in USA) but the idea of spending more than 1 second in Europe/UK anywhere for work gets my pulse racing and not in a good way; I just have no desire to do it.

Plus I've never really felt that looking at things 'on average' is a good idea. If my brother did that, for instance, he would have never worked in marine electronics in NZ back in the early 90s; why would you want to be in the middle of nowhere - on average USA/UK are much bigger boat markets.... but then of course NZ won the Amcup, he ended up working with one of the Yank syndicates twice and now has built himself a stellar track record in his field and flies around the world doing work...and yet then and now no one would ever have said NZ is a good place for business on average ever - it is too small, too far away etc etc. but in specific industries, and for managerial experience for entreprenuers, I reckon it will c**p all over almost any other country, possibly with the exception of Australia, which produces similar people except with foul accents and too much beer swilling. :o

Don't worry about averages. Look at the massive list of failures from USA in China; the averages told them it was all growth, but the reality is they were too inept to capitalise on it, and the growth in their specific industries did not reflect the A far better mindset is to look at things specifically. If you want to work in boat building or windsurfing industry say, Vietnam is growing, but Thailand will outgrow and outpace Vietnam in that industry by miles.

Most people have no real idea of what they want to spend their work life doing. You need to clarify what job you want to do and in what industry first; entrepreneur/business owner, accountant, advertising exec, movie star, etc....then you can judge whether the Vietnam opportunity is worthwhile. Look at what skills you need for your dream job, and then create a plan to acquire the skills that are missing.

Going to Vietnam right now to work in the boat building industry for instance, is a wise move to get in on the ground floor. But going to work for clothing sourcing is a skill that is worldwide if you end up with a Li and Fung type enterprise...so you could just as easily learn the same skills here but whether a job is available here or not...hard to say. Big money is probably in China, South Africa and new markets, but all depends whether you want to go there or not.

For emerging markets, I would say in finance that the big efforts are in Vietnam, China, India; Thailand is a bit of a financial backwater - Singapore and HK are hubs for that sort of thing too - check out Chintee if it is a finance issue, I recall he worked in that industry.

For energy, both countries have things going on.

So...in short figure out your plan first, then see whether Vietnam fits with that.

My question is: would getting some work experience in Vietnam, living and working in a SEA workplace, be considered an asset if I wanted to position myself for a good job in Thailand later?

My 4 years in Japan count for jack shit in Thailand (IT, a large MNC).

None of the people I have bailed out ever hinted they wanted me in Thailand, handy when they need me.

I made some advances, they would guess I would accept pay cut but no - nothing.

Indeed, just think of thousands of professionals from US, UK...who would come to Thailand at a drop of a hat - if their experience from most advanced places counted for anything in Thailand. Why would Vietnam count for any more than that?

Actually, among the expats, Asia is a "career killer". No position to return from there (if one wanted to return after all).

CC

Possibly, but that doesn't really answer the OP's original comment, that she likes it here; after all I know i would be far richer working in the UK or USA or Europe (and have worked a year in USA) but the idea of spending more than 1 second in Europe/UK anywhere for work gets my pulse racing and not in a good way; I just have no desire to do it.

Plus I've never really felt that looking at things 'on average' is a good idea.

Most people have no real idea of what they want to spend their work life doing. You need to clarify what job you want to do and in what industry first; entrepreneur/business owner, accountant, advertising exec, movie star, etc....then you can judge whether the Vietnam opportunity is worthwhile. Look at what skills you need for your dream job, and then create a plan to acquire the skills that are missing.

So...in short figure out your plan first, then see whether Vietnam fits with that.

You're as insightful as ever, Steveromagnino! :o You've definitely given me some food for thought. I'm going to sit down and think some more about this dream job idea, and how this Vietnam opportunity fits in there. Thanks for recognizing that I really want to be in Thailand. :-)

How do you know you will not love Vietnam the same way as you feel about Thailand now after a while.

10 years ago I thought a bit like you - Thailand or bust

Well I have worked in Thailand, then back in the UK then continental Europe - not regretted any move and now place the position above the location (all thngs being equal and location not a shithole).

I could have had this position relocated to Thailand last year when I was in a strong position with another offer. Chose not to and enjoy living in Singapore - it really is highly liveable with the language, security, efficiency etc etc

I can visit Thailand easily for here - if I am going to have a bit of a bender for the weekend its probably cheaper flying up to BKK for it.

I would work in Thailand again but only if the right opportunity came up -

Back to your question - Will working in vietnam make it easier getting a job in Vietnam. I think it may help due to the fact you have lived and worked in Asia. I know my "Love of Asia" probably helped me in my move here and it is mentioned a lot by my boss and colleagues - they seem to like this little fact.

I have a pal here working at the High Commission. He works in the commercial section and he was telling me more companies are looking at sngle people who will go anywhere - some places they can not send families/ marriecpeople and its also a lot cheaper - accomm, schools, maids etc

Don't disagree with Steve's overall comments but I would suggest that in your mid-20's it's difficult to make the kind of decisions he's talking about - so I think you're making a mistake if you don't at least check out this opening in VN - you might like it more than Thailand, in which case fine, or you might not, in which case also fine as you'll have that much more knowledge and experience to help you decide what to do next.

Thailand IS a dead end choice for most westerners career-wise (not all, but most - and i'm assuming you're not Thai from your username). The opportunities just aren't here at the moment.

FWIW I'm in my mid-30's and last year I had to make the same choice you're considering - I 'really wanted' to stay in Thailand but to decided I had to move on after losing my job. I'd much rather have stayed in Thailand from a personal point of view but when I look at all the factors (including financials) I was right to go.

Anyway, whether you agree or not, hope these differing viewpoints help you to decide!

CC

Indeed, just think of thousands of professionals from US, UK...who would come to Thailand at a drop of a hat - if their experience from most advanced places counted for anything in Thailand. Why would Vietnam count for any more than that?

Actually, among the expats, Asia is a "career killer". No position to return from there (if one wanted to return after all).

Well, I'm currently trying to learn more about this, so I welcome corrections from experienced business people if I'm wrong, but:

It's my impression that having experience managing people in Asia would be valuable above managing people back home -- because from everything I've read the work cultures are very, very different -- how to get things done, how to give feedback, how to encourage, how to develop and maintain business relationships. I don't know how similar Thai and Vietnamese cultures are (I know they're not overly fond of each other), but they probably have more in common than Thai and Canadian culture. :o

I don't know how MNCs see it, but I don't think of Asia as a career killer at all. In my dream job, I'm in Asia writing and researching cultural change in response to globalization -- so for me, Asia is perfect for my career. It's is largely the desire to observe and think about these things that drives me to Asia in the first place. I've applied for some writing grants (don't worry, my writing is better than my posts on TV :D :D ) as well as other more standard work, and I see working in Asia mostly as a way to fund this writing project myself.

I'm honestly surprised to hear you say that Asia is a career killer even for IT. Between outsourcing, and every single computer component on earth being manufactured here (or so it seems), and the need of Western companies to develop relationships with the East, and the developing world being the biggest emerging market for mobile technologies, for example -- I don't get it.

It's also my feeling that because there is so much growth and change and upheaval in Asia, there's a lot of opportunity for someone who is a bit entrepreneurial and opportunistic, and has knowledge on the ground.

Or maybe I'm being as naive as that guy who wants to borrow 7M Baht to start a bar in LOS on another thread. :D

It's my impression that having experience managing people in Asia would be valuable above managing people back home -- because from everything I've read the work cultures are very, very different -- how to get things done, how to give feedback, how to encourage, how to develop and maintain business relationships. I don't know how similar Thai and Vietnamese cultures are (I know they're not overly fond of each other), but they probably have more in common than Thai and Canadian culture.

I have never heard of a Japanese manager outside of Japanese companies. In my company, not a single one has ever made it to corporate. Language is first reason, another one would be - people run away as soon as you tell them they might be managed by a Japanese.

So, my Japanese managing experience comes as handy as a mill stone around my neck.

I don't know what respect Thais pay to Vietnamese and influences coming from there.

It's widespread thinking that they look down on Cambodia, Laos and Burma.

I don't know how MNCs see it, but I don't think of Asia as a career killer at all. In my dream job, I'm in Asia writing and researching cultural change in response to globalization -- so for me, Asia is perfect for my career.

If you try to go back, then you will see. If Thais are not interested in westerner's skills and know how, why would be westerners interested in somebody's experience in Thailand?

I'm honestly surprised to hear you say that Asia is a career killer even for IT.

Other than pub talk, you could read it in The Economist, I think in the issue "American Fear of China" ...on the cover there was a panda climbing the Empire State Building, like King Kong in 60s.

Between outsourcing, and every single computer component on earth being manufactured here (or so it seems), and the need of Western companies to develop relationships with the East, and the developing world being the biggest emerging market for mobile technologies, for example -- I don't get it.

It's a grunt work that's been outsourced. Ideas, innovations and profits remain where they are - in the West.

The companies are still there - IBM may have 50 000 people in India but internal MNCs politics and power struggles are fought in America.

It would be too identifiable if I told you to look up for some names - people who returned from Asia to US. They were quickly downgraded to the point of resigning or retrenched within a month.

It's also my feeling that because there is so much growth and change and upheaval in Asia, there's a lot of opportunity for someone who is a bit entrepreneurial and opportunistic, and has knowledge on the ground.

Growth yes, albeit from the low base. Just consider this: the increment between last's and this year's US military budget...just the difference - is bigger that the entire Chinese military budget altogether.

Or maybe I'm being as naive as that guy who wants to borrow 7M Baht to start a bar in LOS on another thread.

That's an idiotic troll, that does not count.

It's my impression that having experience managing people in Asia would be valuable above managing people back home -- because from everything I've read the work cultures are very, very different -- how to get things done, how to give feedback, how to encourage, how to develop and maintain business relationships. I don't know how similar Thai and Vietnamese cultures are (I know they're not overly fond of each other), but they probably have more in common than Thai and Canadian culture.

I have never heard of a Japanese manager outside of Japanese companies. In my company, not a single one has ever made it to corporate. Language is first reason, another one would be - people run away as soon as you tell them they might be managed by a Japanese.

So, my Japanese managing experience comes as handy as a mill stone around my neck.

I don't know what respect Thais pay to Vietnamese and influences coming from there.

It's widespread thinking that they look down on Cambodia, Laos and Burma.

I don't know how MNCs see it, but I don't think of Asia as a career killer at all. In my dream job, I'm in Asia writing and researching cultural change in response to globalization -- so for me, Asia is perfect for my career.

If you try to go back, then you will see. If Thais are not interested in westerner's skills and know how, why would be westerners interested in somebody's experience in Thailand?

I'm honestly surprised to hear you say that Asia is a career killer even for IT.

Other than pub talk, you could read it in The Economist, I think in the issue "American Fear of China" ...on the cover there was a panda climbing the Empire State Building, like King Kong in 60s.

Between outsourcing, and every single computer component on earth being manufactured here (or so it seems), and the need of Western companies to develop relationships with the East, and the developing world being the biggest emerging market for mobile technologies, for example -- I don't get it.

It's a grunt work that's been outsourced. Ideas, innovations and profits remain where they are - in the West.

The companies are still there - IBM may have 50 000 people in India but internal MNCs politics and power struggles are fought in America.

It would be too identifiable if I told you to look up for some names - people who returned from Asia to US. They were quickly downgraded to the point of resigning or retrenched within a month.

Growth yes, albeit from the low base. Just consider this: the increment between last's and this year's US military budget...just the difference - is bigger that the entire Chinese military budget altogether.

Or maybe I'm being as naive as that guy who wants to borrow 7M Baht to start a bar in LOS on another thread.

That's an idiotic troll, that does not count.

TTM - did you move out there from corporate or were you a local employ?

I do think japanese company's and LOC's might just bea little different - they are in the MNC I am with. They were part of the Asia Pacific region in my division but recently left as they wanted to be on their own reporting direct to corporate.

In another division they were always on their own ie Europe, N America, International and Japan - the smallest and least profitable ;-)

I do think japanese company's and LOC's might just bea little different - they are in the MNC I am with. They were part of the Asia Pacific region in my division but recently left as they wanted to be on their own reporting direct to corporate.

In another division they were always on their own ie Europe, N America, International and Japan - the smallest and least profitable ;-)

I am a local employee (local hire) but I was working for the same company in other places. And Japanese arm is part of corporate APJ region.

It's actually that Japanese were interested to get me here (for my farangness among other reasons) to bridge between locals and westerners.

I still have to hear Thais doing the same. Let alone to bridge between them and Vietnamese practices.

Edited by think_too_mut

I am a local employee (local hire) but I was working for the same company in other places. And Japanese arm is part of corporate APJ region.

It's actually that Japanese were interested to get me here (for my farangness among other reasins) to bridge between locals and westerners.

I still have to hear Thais doing the same. Let alone to bridge between them and Vietnamese practices.

I have never heard of Thai's doing it for farangness either :o

It might be different in a MNC and how well you know them already but I think it would come down to the position and not because of farangeness!

How many MNC's have their regional HQ in Thailand and not just a LOC?

Hi guys,

Not sure why you are so keen to work in Thailand. I worked in Asia for thirty years and then retired to Thailand.

However, I would never have taken a job in Thailand because I could earn much more in other Asian countries.

Think longer term, would be my advice !

Naka.

Not sure why you are so keen to work in Thailand. I worked in Asia for thirty years and then retired to Thailand.

However, I would never have taken a job in Thailand because I could earn much more in other Asian countries.

Naka.

Depends on which country in Asia you work in. hel_l places like Tokyo or Seoul are not worth the money difference over Thailand.

Singapore or Hong Kong, probably.

Naka.

Depends on which country in Asia you work in. hel_l places like Tokyo or Seoul are not worth the money difference over Thailand.

Singapore or Hong Kong, probably.

A German pal and I who both go to Thailand were working out tax differences between Thailand and Singapore last night instead of doing accountancy equations

We are probably 80-100K++ THB a month better of cash at bank working in Singapore than Thailand where we both could have been - 37% at the top end for a farang is it not?

Singapore is not 100K a month cheaper than Thailand - make money elsewhere and play in Thailand

Hi guys,

Naka.

I agree. The OP is in her late twenties and her whole life lies in front of her, full of challenges and opportunities.

Maybe the OP is a kind of 'addicted' to LOS and nothing wrong with that but one has to chose for experience, income and growth as well.

Like a next poster said: make your money elsewhere and have fun in LOS.

After all, Vietnam is just 60-90 minutes by plane away...and since the OP comes from a huge country like Canada she's probably used to large distances.

Vietnam>>>>>Thailand is not and around the corner.

LaoPo

[/color

I vehemently disagree with that statement.

It is difficult to leave Thailand, and I imagine the same is true for Cambodia and Laos. Burma might be in the same category, but I don't have the experience to say that. I'm not entirely sure what makes transitioning back so hard, but I find that it is an individual person's desire rather than an employer's stigma.

When I worked in Hong Kong, the term FILTH always was interesting to me-- failed in London, try Hongkong. It was amazing the success that many expats had in HK where they would not be considered top-tier people in their home country. I think the drive was in wanting to be in a place and finding ways to make it work.

As to leveraging experience elsewhere in Asia for benefit in Thailand, wow, it's hard. There are a few things that are useful that you pick up-- what it takes to be successful outside of your home country, but that is mostly a drive issue. I never found myself developing contacts in HK that would help in Thailand itself. Plenty for work in Singapore, and even a few long shots for Malaysia. I met people who spend time in Thailand... but not for work. I imagine the situation would be similar in Vietnam, but that is purely speculation.

Good luck!

It is difficult to leave Thailand, and I imagine the same is true for Cambodia and Laos. Burma might be in the same category, but I don't have the experience to say that. I'm not entirely sure what makes transitioning back so hard, but I find that it is an individual person's desire rather than an employer's stigma.

When I worked in Hong Kong......

Have you tried to return to your company in the west? Looks like you have not left Asia yet.

The reason Thailand is a career killer is because people come here after leaving their decent jobs in the west just so they can bum around and do nothing for relatively little money. If you get a decent job it is in no way a career killer.

When I worked in Hong Kong......

Have you tried to return to your company in the west? Looks like you have not left Asia yet.

My experience must differ from yours

I have returned once to good job's and now back in Asia

I know I could get a job pretty quickly back in the UK/Europe now if I went for it - a year ago I was offered a managing consultants role in the UK on a very good salary.

When I am over 50 it might make a difference but currently skills, experience and track record still counts

Edited by Prakanong

The reason Thailand is a career killer is because people come here after leaving their decent jobs in the west just so they can bum around and do nothing for relatively little money. If you get a decent job it is in no way a career killer.

That is my view too - some idiots will accept a paper boy's salary just to exist in Thailand and spout <deleted> about quality of life etc

When I get CV's from this type I giggle like F%^&* and bin them

If you want to just live in Thailand and will accept a sub standard job to do that perhaps because you aren’t qualified enough or because there simply isn’t many positions for your type of work then fair enough. BUT don’t turn it around and blame Thailand if it bites you in the back later in your life. There are plenty of very decent jobs available you just have to be lucky enough to be in a position to get one.

If you want to just live in Thailand and will accept a sub standard job to do that perhaps because you aren’t qualified enough or because there simply isn’t many positions for your type of work then fair enough. BUT don’t turn it around and blame Thailand if it bites you in the back later in your life. There are plenty of very decent jobs available you just have to be lucky enough to be in a position to get one.

It's not Thailand, I was saying Asia as a whole.

None of my company's 4 APJ VPs has survived return to the headquarters after 2 years in Asia.

And they had decent jobs, no question about that.

It's not Thailand, I was saying Asia as a whole.

None of my company's 4 APJ VPs has survived return to the headquarters after 2 years in Asia.

And they had decent jobs, no question about that.

The top 3 people in my division all did time in Thailand as senior people. One of them is heir apparent for CEO. Just had 2 more promoted to most senior level, both made their reputations in Asia. The top 3 people in my division all did time in Thailand as senior people. One of them is heir apparent for COO. Just had 2 more promoted to most senior level, both made their reputations in Asia. We have recently rotated about 6 mid level people back to US after many years in Thailand, all went back to more senior positions and their extended stints in Asia helped them obtain them. I guess it depends on the company culture.

TH

Edited by thaihome

I'd say go for it. In your twenties you can afford mistakes with your career, and the benefits of what you could gain outweigh the risks. Anyway, what's the alternative?

Being in a different country with different culture will help you when you move to another country. There's also a fair bit of overlap in Thai and Vietnamese thinking. They would be closer linked to each other than say working in Canada. Friends I know who have worked in Vietnam then transferred to Thailand (or vie versa), have found they aready had a certain amount of cultural awareness to leverae off when moving countries, and were ahead of "newbies" to either country.

You might also find out that it is you rather than a particular country/environment that really matters. After a couple of years or so in Thailand I wasn't learning much from the Thais themselves. However, the country does put you in situations you wouldn't normally be in, and give you the enviroments to learn more about yourself.

Edited by ThaiWanderer68

Hi guys,

You don't mention anything else on the cards. So: just graduated; late twenties; fairly interesting job; 6 months. You've already given yourslef a few good reasons to go for it. As you mention, Thailand isn't so good at the moment for hiring. There are opportunities elsewhere. The story (in Thailand as well) could be different in 6 months from now, but meanwhile you'll be picking up experience. Vietnam BTW is showing itself to be in a great position to take off.

Teaching you can always come back to, especially if you don't see yourself long term.

Personally I'd say experience working in another country is always useful. It challenges your thinking from your home country, no matter where. I've spent a fair bit of time working in Asia: Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Korea, HK, Malaysia etc, and while there are differences, there are often a lot of similarities too. Things you learn in one Asian country help you hit the ground running quicker in another. Not always tho' :o

For me, when I first moved to Asia, Singapore wasn't exactly my first choice but that's where I was needed, so that's where I started. After living in Singapore. though, I loved it. So much so, I didn't want to leave when my contract finished. Wanting to stay in Singapore - I found a good role in Thailand, which seemed a good second. I then moved on to a few more countries after that, none being exactly my first choice, but each time going and thoroughly enjoying it. Each time I could leverage off the professional experience gained, as well as cultural sensitivity I picked up along the way. The cultural versatility and professional experience have been very useful, and have helped me in obtaining and being successful in various roles.

Recently I moved back to Thailand again, and for the first time in many years, I feel I have the right job, in the right place, at the right time. (One of the factors has always been not quite right until now) Singapore wasn't first choice. But if I hadn't have taken it, I would never have ended up in Thailand, or any of the other places Ive been. After Singapore, Thailand wasn't first choice either. If I hadn't have given either of them a chance though, I wouldn't have the lovely Thai wife and daughter I have now.

You rarely get what you want, when you want it, where you want it. So when interesting opportunities come up, which are at least related, grab them with both hands. Keep building the experience, and taking new challenges. You often learn most or recieve when you least expect it...

Edited by fletchthai68

A bit of a gross generalisation, I think, and one that might have applied ten years ago but is not the case now, certainly in my profession anyway. I'm constantly being offered roles in the UK and Australia - they really value Asian experience at a time when it's acknowledged this is the region which is redefining world business for this century. If you can get results in a region as diverse and dynamic as this - convential wisdom is now saying - think what you can do in the US or Europe.