Experience Working In Another Sea Country; Valuable In Thailand?

You don't mention anything else on the cards. So: just graduated; late twenties; fairly interesting job; 6 months. You've already given yourslef a few good reasons to go for it. As you mention, Thailand isn't so good at the moment for hiring. There are opportunities elsewhere. The story (in Thailand as well) could be different in 6 months from now, but meanwhile you'll be picking up experience. Vietnam BTW is showing itself to be in a great position to take off.

Teaching you can always come back to, especially if you don't see yourself long term.

Personally I'd say experience working in another country is always useful. It challenges your thinking from your home country, no matter where. I've spent a fair bit of time working in Asia: Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Korea, HK, Malaysia etc, and while there are differences, there are often a lot of similarities too. Things you learn in one Asian country help you hit the ground running quicker in another. Not always tho' :o

For me, when I first moved to Asia, Singapore wasn't exactly my first choice but that's where I was needed, so that's where I started. After living in Singapore. though, I loved it. So much so, I didn't want to leave when my contract finished. Wanting to stay in Singapore - I found a good role in Thailand, which seemed a good second. I then moved on to a few more countries after that, none being exactly my first choice, but each time going and thoroughly enjoying it. Each time I could leverage off the professional experience gained, as well as cultural sensitivity I picked up along the way. The cultural versatility and professional experience have been very useful, and have helped me in obtaining and being successful in various roles.

Recently I moved back to Thailand again, and for the first time in many years, I feel I have the right job, in the right place, at the right time. (One of the factors has always been not quite right until now) Singapore wasn't first choice. But if I hadn't have taken it, I would never have ended up in Thailand, or any of the other places Ive been. After Singapore, Thailand wasn't first choice either. If I hadn't have given either of them a chance though, I wouldn't have the lovely Thai wife and daughter I have now.

You rarely get what you want, when you want it, where you want it. So when interesting opportunities come up, which are at least related, grab them with both hands. Keep building the experience, and taking new challenges. You often learn most or recieve when you least expect it...

Thanks Fletchthai! -- I was really hoping to hear from people like you - who have lots of experience working in different Asian countries. This gives me lots to think about, and it's very encouraging as well!

Depends on which country in Asia you work in. hel_l places like Tokyo or Seoul are not worth the money difference over Thailand.

Singapore or Hong Kong, probably.

Horses for courses I think.

I was in Seoul about 10 years ago for a weeks work, and didn't like it much at all. At that time I also had very little understanding of different (Asian) cultures. It was also straight after a week in Indonesia, which on the other hand was easy to take to quickly, and I thoroughly enjoyed.

I was back in Seoul for a few months earlier this year for only the secondtime. Funnily enough I didn't really want to go based on last time and with a few months old daughter. Once there though I thought it was a great place. Even the Thai wife preferred some things there compared to Thailand, and says she misses it some times. Very clean, safe, very friendly towards children and people who have them, warm people, work hard and party hard, like a good drink etc. Part of it was Seoul has changed, part of it my circumstances had changed, and part of it my approach had changed and I was more receptive to seeing things thru Korean eyes. I do believe it helped also having lived in other countries before Korea, and a lot of it can also be down to your own outlook and attitude on life.

On the other hand I though HK was great first time I went, but liked it less when I went again and stayed longer.

Again a good argument for go get some experience in different places and learn ways to adapt and see some things differently.

Edited by fletchthai68