The Best Pub Grub In Bangkok

BenDan

Best pub grub used to be Jool's , but I've not been for a while.

Best grub/surroundings used to be Bulls Head.

Hanrahans(sp) is giving BH a good run for their money.

Xchange was good.

Dubliner has excellent if pricey food , but would you call it pub grub?

Cheers

Well, where can i find it?

Doesn't have to be cheap or large portions; just good quality grub in a comfortable environment.

Black Swan, Sukhumit under Asoke station

Problem I have with the black swan is all the food seems to be made with 3 spoonful's of bland.

Cheers

Irish XChange, when it reopens :o

The Xchange is Dead, Long Live Molly Malones.

and it still has the best pub grub in Town

Nah, Londoner on Suk 33 has it beat ... at a price ...

Nay hel_l, The Londoner, the pub with no soul......

Cheers

Edit for speeling

Edited by percy2

The Dubliner gets my vote. Im told it won an award in the 'Best Pub and Restaurant' category from the Bangkok entertainment and dining magazine too. So I guess it has has some other fans as well.

yeah, They paid good money for that award. :o

Irish XChange, when it reopens :o

The Xchange is Dead, Long Live Molly Malones.

and it still has the best pub grub in Town

Is that the new name?

IS it now owned by the same people from Singapore?

Will Mark still be running it?

Cheers

The same guys who own Mollys in Phuket have taken it over. and Mark is still there.

What an endless question....each to their own.

I have eaten at every "western pub" in BKK over the last 11 years I've lived here fulltime.

What I like most is the diversity that each different establishment brings to their menu items ie: bangers n mash in one place will be different in another, but still tasty.

For me the best pub grub is a combo of menu items in a few different establishments I frequent (no names sorry :o )

The Irish X has opened. I was there on Tuesday. You still smell the painting. More space and not look so dull and dim as before.

I won't call Dubliner a pub grub but food is good though.

Yes, someone commented on Londoner's, the pub with no soul!!

If you want something westernised then you pay by western's cost, Beefheart.

The only problem I find with pubs serving western food is that they have western owners who seemingly want to make western profits by charging western prices.

I say this cos in some of these the prices are not much different to what I would expect to pay in London.

Cheers BB

If you want good quality Western food, you have to pay for it. :o

The only problem I find with pubs serving western food is that they have western owners who seemingly want to make western profits by charging western prices.

I say this cos in some of these the prices are not much different to what I would expect to pay in London.

Cheers BB

Yes I occasionally do but I suppose the point I was making is that labour and produce costs in London are way higher than here.

Cheers BB

Yes I occasionally do but I suppose the point I was making is that labour and produce costs in London are way higher than here.

Good quality ingredients and expert Western cooks are a lot more difficult to find here. :D

I can't think af anymore stand outs thast haven't been mentioned if you are talking about pub food.

1. Londoner - agreed that the places lacks atmosphere at times, but the food is good.

2. Irish Exchange (Molly Malones) Ok, not been in since the refit, but it used to be good. THe food in Molly's in Phuket was always pretty good to.

If you class the Huntsman as a pub, then it's worth a mention as well, although a little pricey.

Bulls Head is okay for its bar snacks like Chicken in a Basket and Cornish Pasty, but not the best. Good place though for a few beers.

Robin Hood - I like a few beers in this place, but I have to say the food is pretty average, although after a few too many beers it does get better.

Robin Hood - I like a few beers in this place, but I have to say the food is pretty average, although after a few too many beers it does get better.

Yes I kinda like Robin Hood. It's has a different set up. I like the long stu bar from this end to another. It is not so dark and smokey. I had beef stew and other fingers-food they were quite good. Selection of beer is okay. Over all I like it.

Cheers BB

Good quality ingredients and expert Western cooks are a lot more difficult to find here. :D

I think we can beg to differ on this one - and maybe my views are tainted by my last experience of taking a thai lady to try a little english pub - the food was average but pricey and all through eating we were treated to a total inebriate continually shouting at his mates "F*** you C***"s - I noted the landlord seating at the bar seemingly grinning at it all - as soon as we finished the meal my companion suggested we left cos she could tell I was going to throw a wobbly.

On a far more positive note the Bullshead has a very friendly manager in Billy and the food is always good and reasonably priced perhaps the chef is not a westerner. Like Soundman I particularly like there fish and chips and thais I have taken there say the thai food is good.

I agree also that the Dubliner breakfast is also well worth having - but not if you're watching the waistline.

Cheers BB

On a far more positive note the Bullshead has a very friendly manager in Billy and the food is always good and reasonably priced perhaps the chef is not a westerner. Like Soundman I particularly like there fish and chips and thais I have taken there say the thai food is good.

I agree also that the Dubliner breakfast is also well worth having - but not if you're watching the waistline.

Cheers BB

Billy is a legend! More free beers in that pub than any other in town... :o

New Cowboy Bar on Sukhumvit 22, just 100 meters past Queen's Park Hotel. Food

Lucy's Tiger Den was the best for years, but that was a very long time ago.

Jools was okay, but I haven't been there in years either. Passed (walking) by Jools last week, but had just pigged out at Victoria's on Soi 7. Looked slow.

Edited by glaitong