Cat Flaps

HomePro had one a couple of months ago...really too big for a cat, though. Be careful when you install one; ensure that someone can't reach through and unlock the door. It happened to a friend of mine in Italy. He couldn't figure out how he had been robbed, but by divine intervention (Italian police make Thai police look spectacularly good), they caught the robber, as he had sold some stereo gear to a shop that checked the serial numbers and turned him in. When questioned, the culprit said that he specifically looked for homes with pet doors, and just reached up through them and unlocked the doors. With a dog, you might get some protection, depending on the breed & disposition, but I can't envision a cat that would savage an intruder. :o

My cats live outside, so there is no need for special door.

No problem in this climate.

Meal times they queue outside the kitchen door

and make sure we do not forget them.

Edited by astral

My cats live outside, so there is no need for special door.

No problem in this climate.

Meal times they queue outside the kitchen door

and make sure we do not forget them.

Same thing with my 2 dogs,1 Thai and 1 young[less than a year] German Shepard,,and the Shepard has got to bringing her dish over to the door if I don't go out and get it by 1730.

How about the risk of other <unspecified> animals enter the Cat flap? Rats might be taken by the cat, but bigger <unspecified> aliens??

I really don't know about that George,,I saw some rats running around the Arcade terminal one evening when waiting for a bus out of CM that were big enough to whip a cats ass. :D

Ya better have a tough cat if you expect your cat to handle some of them rats,,we had a big python in a cage over in NAM that when we put a rat in there for it to eat,sometimes the rat would get the best of the snake. :D He had no problems with a cat tho. :o

Put cat flaps in a couple of doors at home here. Imported them, (the flaps) from the UK.

Had to fill the holes in when the wife met a 2+ meter rat snake in the kitchen.

(Not poisonous, although I did not know that when it bit me!)

Got my cat flap in the US, your best bet might be to get someone to send you one. Our doors are open all day, so the cat flap is for mainly at night or when we are away. our cat is getting on 14 years old now and finds jumping through the window more difficult.

Since our doors are open all day we have always had other critters wandering through. My personal favorite was the king cobra that lodged itself under the fridge. Living in the country one can't be too much of a wimp :o

Well when I got my Thai dog,the snakes found it to ###### dangerous to come inside the fence,,she seems to find everyone,she might not kill it but she tries and makes enough noise that I always go out to see what she got,so they end up dying either way,,thats the only time she will bark. :D

Mice never make it all the way across the yard,cats not as far as mice and chickens just barely reach the ground before she got em,,love that little red bitch. :D Coarse got that police dog now,but she just directs traffic while all the killin going on,Kinda like a Thai cop :o

• 3 years later...
Does anyone know where in Chiang mai I can buy a cat flap/pet door?

Thank you in advance.

Wed 16 Apr 08, 8:09 p.m.

Hi All,

I am reviving this ancient thread in the hopes the ensuing years have made a difference. Not holding my breath, though! :o

Anyone come across cat doors (sometimes called pet flaps) anywhere in Thailand? I have given up on ever finding anything I want or need in Khon Kean where I live. But will be more than happy to pay shipping plus a surcharge if a retailer anywhere in Thailand can send to me.

I especially want something that can be set to in-only, out-only, locked or open. Right now, I just have a square hole and a rubber flap (car mat) which actually works great. Unfortunately, the "handyman" cut the hold big enough so that a sumo wrestler could squeeze through with no problem! But that's another story! :D

The problem is that I have three cats who I keep in at night, and it is difficult rounding them all up. When I get two inside, the third has escaped. Then, by the time she has come home, one of the others has gotten out. I think they do it on purpose to drive me crazy! :D

Here is one that I like from the U.S., but the shipping is so costly and more importantly, risky, that I would rather deal within Thailand if I possibly can.

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/product...?pf_id=10744301

Thanks for any info.

Aloha,

Rex

If you don't find any PM me. My cat flap is no longer in use (my kitty died :o ) and the dog got locked in the house and pulled it out of the door in her bid to escape and then proceeded to shred the door. So, cat flap is no longer in the door either.

It's fine, undamaged, a medium size. PM me if you'd like a photo and I will happily send it on to you.

If you don't find any PM me. My cat flap is no longer in use (my kitty died :o ) and the dog got locked in the house and pulled it out of the door in her bid to escape and then proceeded to shred the door. So, cat flap is no longer in the door either.

It's fine, undamaged, a medium size. PM me if you'd like a photo and I will happily send it on to you.

Thanks SBK. Sorry to hear about your kitty . . . and your door! A few years ago, I was quite happy to let my cats come and go 24/7 through the makeshift flap I described. Then, Mama Kitty had 3 kittens, and over time we lost all three as they wandered off and never returned. Now I only let them out during the day, and am a worrywart until I have all three rounded up in the evening. Can you set your flap for "in only"? That is what I need so that as each one of the little mutts returns home in the evening, s/he can't get back out again, and I don't have to think about herding cats!

I am pretty sure I am not going to find what I want in LOS, so I will probably take you up on your offer. I'll bet you didn't get yours in Thailand, did you?

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

Shamu pet shop's catalogue have pet doors and the small size might be OK for a cat. They have branches in Bangkok and Phuket but would I am sure ship to you anywhere in Thailand. Tel no 02212 9172

Thanks SBK. Sorry to hear about your kitty . . . and your door! A few years ago, I was quite happy to let my cats come and go 24/7 through the makeshift flap I described. Then, Mama Kitty had 3 kittens, and over time we lost all three as they wandered off and never returned. Now I only let them out during the day, and am a worrywart until I have all three rounded up in the evening. Can you set your flap for "in only"? That is what I need so that as each one of the little mutts returns home in the evening, s/he can't get back out again, and I don't have to think about herding cats!

I am pretty sure I am not going to find what I want in LOS, so I will probably take you up on your offer. I'll bet you didn't get yours in Thailand, did you?

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

No, its just a standard cat flap. in and out, sorry! And yes, I brought it back in my suitcase. Thank goodness for the larger weight allowances when flying from the US :D

• 2 months later...

I ordered 2 from the UK, Took 2 days to deliver. It really does put Home Pro to shame when they are always out of stock of everything and it always takes a week to order.

June 17, 2008 15:47 Bristol - UK Shipment picked up

June 17, 2008 17:54 Bristol - UK Departing origin

June 17, 2008 18:35 Bristol - UK Departed from DHL facility in Bristol - UK

June 18, 2008 04:14 Leipzig - Germany Arrived at DHL facility in Leipzig - Germany

June 18, 2008 07:04 Leipzig - Germany Departed from DHL facility in Leipzig - Germany

June 19, 2008 00:48 Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong Arrived at DHL facility in Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong

June 19, 2008 03:13 Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong Departed from DHL facility in Hong Kong - Hub - Hong Kong

June 19, 2008 05:57 Bangkok - Thailand Arrived at DHL facility in Bangkok - Thailand

June 19, 2008 06:14 Bangkok - Thailand Clearance processing complete at Bangkok - Thailand

June 19, 2008 07:03 Bangkok - Thailand Departed from DHL facility in Bangkok - Thailand

June 19, 2008 07:31 Bangkok - Thailand Arrived at DHL Facility

June 19, 2008 08:42 Bangkok - Thailand With delivery courier

June 19, 2008 11:44 Bangkok - Thailand Shipment delivered

• 1 year later...
My cat are under curfew, so I need flaps inside the hous only !

I made some myself with plywood :

sa400188jq5.jpg

haha! that's amazing!

If you want something done, do it your self!

I came here looking for where to buy a cat flap, but you've inspired me to make my own.

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

Is there any more up to date info on buying a cat flap with lockable sliders to keep puss in and intruders out at night etc? I had one in UK but can I get one in Chiang Mai? Seems not. Anyone know for sure, or should I order on ebay or some such? I am no good at d.i.y., so that is a no no for me - sorry to say! Thanks for any useful info, David Cartwright living in Chiang Mai.

Hi David, maybe try opening a new thread in the Chiang Mai forum? I bought my cat flap on a trip back home, so you might consider asking if someone you know is planning to visit to bring one with them when they come out.

• 1 month later...

There's a shop on Petchburi Road, Huai Khwang in Bangkok that does them. They are called Ferplast but I cannot find the number on yellow pages.co.th. They are the distributor for the Italian company that makes them. Try phoning BUG on 1113 ( Telephone directory service) - they might be able to get the number for you.

I pass this place every day, though, so I might post later if I can see the number on the shop front. I got a couple of different sizes from here a few years ago that are lockable in several different combinations, so you can trap those cats that are already in - I have six cats and trying to get them in and keep them in can be a pain.

• 4 months later...