The Truth On Living In Thailand?

vantexan

Hi, just got the second edition of Retiring in Thailand by Phillip Bryce. I had just purchased the first edition a few months ago but noticed on Amazon the new one with updated info. He portrays Thais as very relaxed with foreigners, very happy to share their country with outsiders. Yet I keep reading on here that Thais are xenophobic, and are doing everything possible to encourage farangs to leave. What's the truth? Assuming I can afford to retire there in 10 years, will I be faced with constant hassle and harrassment? Or is it that once in awhile I'll have to deal with some red tape and some of you feel indignant about having to jump through some hoops to live there? If a quality lifestyle can be had for considerably less than the West, I don't mind the red tape. But if I sense constant resentment from the locals everywhere I go, I'd rather be elsewhere. So what's the truth?

Edited by vantexan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No great problems living here unless you're unable to meet the ever demanding requirements set by immigration. My advise would be not to do it if your finances are going to be close to the limit..... else given a few years you'll be on a plane heading back home.

Generally speaking, Thais are warm and friendly towards foreigners, and in all the years I've been here I've rarely met one that wasn't.

geoffphuket

You will find the red tape is a pain, just like anywhere. Might get worse, might get better-who knows.

I've never had a Thai person be unfriendly in the time I've been here.

Crime against farang is still very low, and seems to mostly happen in one certain area... :o

Hi, just got the second edition of Retiring in Thailand by Phillip Bryce. I had just purchased the first edition a few months ago but noticed on Amazon the new one with updated info. He portrays Thais as very relaxed with foreigners, very happy to share their country with outsiders. Yet I keep reading on here that Thais are xenophobic, and are doing everything possible to encourage farangs to leave. What's the truth? Assuming I can afford to retire there in 10 years, will I be faced with constant hassle and harrassment? Or is it that once in awhile I'll have to deal with some red tape and some of you feel indignant about having to jump through some hoops to live there? If a quality lifestyle can be had for considerably less than the West, I don't mind the red tape. But if I sense constant resentment from the locals everywhere I go, I'd rather be elsewhere. So what's the truth?

Hi Vantexan,

Please remember in life that "you take you with you" One creates one's own reality. Life is simple, this is just a law.

Enjoy your retirement where ever you are, or? Up to you.

Actually, all the people posting on here who are having troubles/denials with visas, visa extensions, psychological stress from uncertainty about being kicked out from here after being settled for years with no back home to go to anymore, we are all IMAGINARY PEOPLE.

If I had 10 years to go until retirement, I would buy beach property in Nicaragua.

The visa rules change alot here and they are unclear and enforced erratically and inconsistently with no systematic appeals process short of begging and crying. You can't imagine how that feels until you live it. Thailand is wonderful, the visa system has become harsh. It doesn't matter if the ladyboy on the street wants you here or not, what matters is the THAI GOVERNMENT.

The dude who wrote that book wants to SELL BOOKS! You are surprised there aren't negative things said in a book promoting retirement in Thailand?

Also, if you are going to invest in real estate, I suggest you look at a country that provides some assurances that you can actually live in the real estate and/or gives you breaks for buying the real estate, such as Philippines, Ecuador, Mexico, Malaysia, and Malta. Otherwise: RENT.

Edited by Jingthing

Throw the book away and come and visit Thailand for a few week and then decide if you would like to stay longer!

right throw the book away ,dont listen to the rubbish people tell you on here ,most dont live in thailand ,just come a couple of times a year ,i've been here 15 years and never met a thai that was;nt pleasant ,the crime is very low compared to other countries ,yes its got a little more exspensive in the last few years ,but has;nt everywhere ,come for a long holiday say 3 months and decide for your self before commiting to living here ,thailands what you make it ,enjoy ..........

The truth !?!

You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has Thais. And those Thais have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You?

You know, after all these years, if you ask a question with the word truth in it someone almost always brings up A Few Good Men, LOL! Thanks for easing my mind everyone. I had been looking at Mexico, then various other Latin American countries, then for quite awhile the Philippines. The Phils are beautiful islands, they speak English, and they like Americans. But the infrastructure is bad, corruption is systemic, and I've seen very few on forums who actually like Filipino food. For years I thought Thailand was a backpacker haven but after getting discouraged with the Philippines I ran across an article about Chiang Mai. Sounded like everything I wanted. And after eating at our 2 local Thai restaurants, I was sold. All this lead to Thai Visa. I learn a lot here but get a little worried about how upset some get about current conditions in Thailand. If things don't look good in 10 years, hopefully 6 years, there's always Malaysia. And I've seen it said many times that you can't escape your past, that you bring your problems with you when you move across your state, the country, or to another country altogether. I'm not perfect but I'm interested in other cultures, have no sordid past, no angry ex'es, no mountain of debt, no anger at America or white women. But I have worked hard for a very long time with so-so pay and a very modest pension. I want to find a wife and be able to provide well for her and our kids. Just trying to make the most of the last third of my life. Sorry for the long post!

If you are not very wealthy, the chance you will be kicked out of Thailand in the future is great. The visa rules are mostly about ever increasing financial requirements. Like someone else said, if you are anywhere near marginal at the time of retirement, you almost certainly will be priced out. Thailand is not as cheap as people think, not by a longshot, especially for weak Bush dollar Americans.

Chiang Mai is nice. During a period of some months every year, the air pollution is some of the worst in the world. Visibly horrible with people wearing masks. The lung disease rates (cancer, asthma, etc) are also some of the highest in the world. If you don't have any lung problems now, you will if you move there.

Edited by Jingthing

right throw the book away ,dont listen to the rubbish people tell you on here ,most dont live in thailand ,just come a couple of times a year ,i've been here 15 years and never met a thai that was;nt pleasant ,the crime is very low compared to other countries ,yes its got a little more exspensive in the last few years ,but has;nt everywhere ,come for a long holiday say 3 months and decide for your self before commiting to living here ,thailands what you make it ,enjoy ..........

Spot on mate,I agree with above but would add :- Come over here (Thailand) and travel around at bit to see REAL Thailand and not just the tourist 'Flesh spots'

I did it and have no regrets

:o

Dave (in Surin, NE Thailand)

Hi, just got the second edition of Retiring in Thailand by Phillip Bryce. I had just purchased the first edition a few months ago but noticed on Amazon the new one with updated info.

He portrays Thais as very relaxed with foreigners,

- Too many of them here, sorry to say you will not be getting ….huu haa! or shock& awe! reaction from the thai anymore. You are just one of many blobs here

very happy to share their country with outsiders.

- As long as you’re not a trouble maker, so behave yourself while in Thailand

Yet I keep reading on here that Thais are xenophobic,

- I would say we’re trained to be a “nationalist” since in the cradle time

and are doing everything possible to encourage farangs to leave. What's the truth?

- There are 2 sides of the same coin

Assuming I can afford to retire there in 10 years, will I be faced with constant hassle and harrassment? Or is it that once in awhile I'll have to deal with some red tape ...?

- You wouldn’t be facing the red tape if you follow the rules. Their house their rules, your house your rules – that the way it is in this world.

If a quality lifestyle can be had for considerably less than the West, I don't mind the red tape.

- Nothing worth can be had, without sacrificing something in return

But if I sense constant resentment from the locals everywhere I go, I'd rather be elsewhere. So what's the truth?

- What’re you planning to do to earn such the resentment? And don’t worry you can be easily replaced here.

On this thread and others some like and some dislike thailand because of the immigration rules.

To be honest I have lived in Thailand visited and worked in Thailand and still call Thailand my home, We have family and land in Thailand and many friends.

After 4 to 5 years living working and traveling in and out of Thailand,,

I have never had a problem with immigration or the law in any way,,,,,ONE thing I would like you to know is that I conform to the visa rules and keept my paper work in order and have never had a problem.

And most I meet living in Thailand doing there visa runs or what ever are complaning alot about how to get around the regulations.,.....

Only my experience and opinion

"The Truth On Living In Thailand?"

there is no truth than the individual truth of foreigners living here. and these "truths" differ from each other. anyway, your question is academic. you can plan retirement ten years or more ahead but you cannot estimate the situation of any country ten years ahead based on prevailing facts.

Good country to holiday, play on the beach, eat Thai food.

If you do business with the locals, you will see the bad side.

ahh you used to post as 'the skipper'.

anyway he's coming to retire not to do business.

Edited by longway

Doing business here in Thailand as a farang is tough. It is NOT a level playing field regardless what people trying to sell you a business or other property may tell you. Retiring here is a completely different story. I have lived in Bangkok, Jomtien Beach and now up country. Living in a farang ghetto has its attractions but I was bored and sitting in bars every day is not very satisfying. Living up country is certainly not for everyone but it suits me perfectly. Mountains, clean air and always having something to do has made me more content than I have ever been in my entire life. That said, I'm still a cynic and live by my golden rule to NOT spend more than I can afford to walk away from. I qualify for a marriage visa but still use my retirement visa as it is quite easy and I qualify for it. The cost of living for me is very low and I spend only a small portion of what I could afford to spend. I don't save that much because I do spend the surplus on many things that I don't need. Toys are fun. I have NEVER had any problem with Thai people and I see many smiles from MOST of them. Life is pretty much what you make it and being paranoid CAN'T be much fun.

Come back with that question in 10 years, anything can happen between now and then.

There were not that may complaints 10 years ago. :o

Are you kidding? There were always complaints and Farangs keep coming because they understand how banal the complaints are about immigration regs and other issues.

I agree, in 10 years things will change, but there will always be options for those with a little cash.

You come across as someone who would very much enjoy living in Chiang Mai. Not the city itself, but just outside. Very beautiful in the countryside. And Chiang Mai would have everything you would need. I've found the people of Chiang Mai to be amongst the nicest and more intelligent in Thailand. And if you don't mind the red tape, you can sort it out as you go along.

Don't bother with books. Keep a whether eye on this forum, but a lot of people on here are a little upset at the moment. But nothing that can't be sorted out with some patience and perspective. Come here and enjoy.

Hi, just got the second edition of Retiring in Thailand by Phillip Bryce. I had just purchased the first edition a few months ago but noticed on Amazon the new one with updated info.

He portrays Thais as very relaxed with foreigners,

- Too many of them here, sorry to say you will not be getting ?.huu haa! or shock& awe! reaction from the thai anymore. You are just one of many blobs here

very happy to share their country with outsiders.

- As long as you?re not a trouble maker, so behave yourself while in Thailand

Yet I keep reading on here that Thais are xenophobic,

- I would say we?re trained to be a ?nationalist? since in the cradle time

and are doing everything possible to encourage farangs to leave. What's the truth?

- There are 2 sides of the same coin

Assuming I can afford to retire there in 10 years, will I be faced with constant hassle and harrassment? Or is it that once in awhile I'll have to deal with some red tape ...?

- You wouldn?t be facing the red tape if you follow the rules. Their house their rules, your house your rules ? that the way it is in this world.

If a quality lifestyle can be had for considerably less than the West, I don't mind the red tape.

- Nothing worth can be had, without sacrificing something in return

But if I sense constant resentment from the locals everywhere I go, I'd rather be elsewhere. So what's the truth?

- What?re you planning to do to earn such the resentment? And don?t worry you can be easily replaced here.

==============================

I'm not planning to do anything to earn resentment. It's part of life in some places. I've lived in 3 towns on the Mexican border and have experienced open hostility from many there for just being white. Some of the posts here make me think many Thais feel the same way. Glad to hear it isn't so! By the way, red tape is a euphemism for dealing with the machinations of bureaucracy. You experience red tape even if you follow the rules. Not sure why you're reading what I'm writing as negative. I'm trying to find out if Thais want me, or farangs in general, in Thailand. If so great, sounds like a wonderful country. If not, I'll look elsewhere. Regards.

If you are not very wealthy, the chance you will be kicked out of Thailand in the future is great.

Is that just a feeling in your waters, or do you have some evidence?

The visa rules are mostly about ever increasing financial requirements. Like someone else said, if you are anywhere near marginal at the time of retirement, you almost certainly will be priced out. Thailand is not as cheap as people think, not by a longshot, especially for weak Bush dollar Americans.

Are you also able to predict the strength of the TBH against the US$ sometime in the future.(If so, get into the money markets.) What if the US$ is back at 40 in a couple of years time?

Chiang Mai is nice. During a period of some months every year, the air pollution is some of the worst in the world. Visibly horrible with people wearing masks. The lung disease rates (cancer, asthma, etc) are also some of the highest in the world. If you don't have any lung problems now, you will if you move there.

Many farangs live in Chiang Mai and love it. That makes different strokes for different folks VERY true. I'm not fond of Bangkok but I'd rather live there than in Chiang Mai. At least you have the sky train and the subway in Bangkok. Chiang Rai is a different story. I could be quite comfortable living there. I HATE smog and traffic jams.

Thailand is a great place to visit, I only live here for work though.

I wouldn't retire here, and I too have never had problems with Visa etc.

I often wonder abot those who say don't do business here.

Have you done business before overseas or is Thailand the first time?

I find Thai's better than Chinese or Koreans, Korean companies have to be the most untrustable.