The Truth On Living In Thailand?

vantexan

You simply have to come and experience for yourself. Everyone has their own opinion based on their personal experiences and time spent in country. You really do need to see much of Thailand and Asia to have any comprehension and credibility about Asia.

I have given this advice many a time and is rarely heeded.

Take all precautions (incl vasectomy) for children

Never marry a Thai woman (esp a bar girl)

Never start a business

Don't buy spendy goods that may need to be sold off on the cheap

Don't make roots that you are not willing to pull up within a year

If you are coming here simply for sex, you will be unhappy - stay home and find it there. If you are coming for 'love' - you will be even more disappointed.

Do not plan on making 'a home' here.

You will never be integrated into the society - you'll always be "farang'. Accept that.

*If you cant eat and enjoy Thai food, youll always be an total outsider among Thai's. That is a minimum.

Moving to another culture is a lifestyle change and while many 'expats' have avoided the culture by living in places like Pattaya, for those that have never lived abroad it will be VERY different.

Edited by h5n1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure why you're reading what I'm writing as negative. I'm trying to find out if Thais want me, or farangs in general, in Thailand. If so great, sounds like a wonderful country. If not, I'll look elsewhere. Regards.

Was I coming down on you? I thought I was being quite helpful answering your questions, really from one of the “inside” sources.

Perhaps you didn’t like the answers?

Edited by teacup

Hi, just got the second edition of Retiring in Thailand by Phillip Bryce. I had just purchased the first edition a few months ago but noticed on Amazon the new one with updated info.

He portrays Thais as very relaxed with foreigners,

- Too many of them here, sorry to say you will not be getting ?.huu haa! or shock& awe! reaction from the thai anymore. You are just one of many blobs here

very happy to share their country with outsiders.

- As long as you?re not a trouble maker, so behave yourself while in Thailand

Yet I keep reading on here that Thais are xenophobic,

- I would say we?re trained to be a ?nationalist? since in the cradle time

and are doing everything possible to encourage farangs to leave. What's the truth?

- There are 2 sides of the same coin

Assuming I can afford to retire there in 10 years, will I be faced with constant hassle and harrassment? Or is it that once in awhile I'll have to deal with some red tape ...?

- You wouldn?t be facing the red tape if you follow the rules. Their house their rules, your house your rules ? that the way it is in this world.

If a quality lifestyle can be had for considerably less than the West, I don't mind the red tape.

- Nothing worth can be had, without sacrificing something in return

But if I sense constant resentment from the locals everywhere I go, I'd rather be elsewhere. So what's the truth?

- What?re you planning to do to earn such the resentment? And don?t worry you can be easily replaced here.

==============================

I'm not planning to do anything to earn resentment. It's part of life in some places. I've lived in 3 towns on the Mexican border and have experienced open hostility from many there for just being white. Some of the posts here make me think many Thais feel the same way. Glad to hear it isn't so! By the way, red tape is a euphemism for dealing with the machinations of bureaucracy. You experience red tape even if you follow the rules. Not sure why you're reading what I'm writing as negative. I'm trying to find out if Thais want me, or farangs in general, in Thailand. If so great, sounds like a wonderful country. If not, I'll look elsewhere. Regards.

seems to me that part of your worries stem from your somewhat racist outlook on life...taks away skin colour and names of nationalities and you may get a clearer picture.

Welcome to the farang club in Thailand. You'll find out many did not do well or fit in back home and the only choice is

to find somewhere else. Other than living a meager life in farangland they chose a place where relationships are cheap.

Nothing more, nothing less, if you can afford it, any place can be wonderful.

10 years from now is really a long time for Thailand. Things have changed alot in the last 10 years so it is fair to assume they will change alot in the next 10 years. Stay tuned.

Regarding retirement visas, Thailand has never offered more than a one year pass at a time, and the clear trend is ever increasing financial requirements. They seem to want to attract richer and richer people even though the really rich will mostly look elsewhere to a country with less pollution and a friendlier government.

As Thailand is developing and is indeed a rabidly nationalistic country (with shades of strong xenophobia), don't ever expect a formal welcome mat offering long term retirement security like the Philippines, Panama, Malaysia, or Malta. To my view, the chances Thailand will ever offer this are almost zero. On the other hand, the chances they will continue to tighten the program or even abolish it (though that is unlikely in the near future) are great based on past history. Remember, just last year they ABOLISHED the investment visa, so do not act like that is impossible. Face it: this government doesn't want us very much. It doesn't matter if most of the people are lovely and friendly, as they are, if you can't stay.

Lots of macho people come here thinking they can deal with the insecurity well, they are stronger than others who it bothers. The only way to know this is to try it yourself, but ask almost anyone on a retirement visa if they are happy about the lack of security offered, and guess how they will answer.

Look at other countries!

Edited by Jingthing

You simply have to come and experience for yourself. Everyone has their own opinion based on their personal experiences and time spent in country. You really do need to see much of Thailand and Asia to have any comprehension and credibility about Asia.

Take all precautions (incl vasectomy) for children ........What???

Never marry a Thai woman (esp a bar girl) .......... Rubish

Never start a business ...............Rubish

Don't buy spendy goods that may need to be sold off on the cheap ..........So don't buy anything. Right?

Don't make roots that you are not willing to pull up within a year ............The decision to settle should be made before, not after arriving

If you are coming here simply for sex, you will be unhappy - stay home and find it there. If you are coming for 'love' - you will be even more disappointed....Rubish

Do not plan on making 'a home' here. ..........Why? I've never had a problem

You will never be integrated into the society - you'll always be "farang'. Accept that. .............Rubish

*If you cant eat and enjoy Thai food, youll always be an total outsider among Thai's. That is a minimum. ..........More rubish !

Moving to another culture is a lifestyle change and while many 'expats' have avoided the culture by living in places like Pattaya, for those that have never lived abroad it will be VERY different.....Agree

Hi, just got the second edition of Retiring in Thailand by Phillip Bryce. I had just purchased the first edition a few months ago but noticed on Amazon the new one with updated info.

- Too many of them here, sorry to say you will not be getting ?.huu haa! or shock& awe! reaction from the thai anymore. You are just one of many blobs here

and are doing everything possible to encourage farangs to leave. What's the truth?

Assuming I can afford to retire there in 10 years, will I be faced with constant hassle and harrassment? Or is it that once in awhile I'll have to deal with some red tape ...?

- You wouldn?t be facing the red tape if you follow the rules. Their house their rules, your house your rules ? that the way it is in this world.

If a quality lifestyle can be had for considerably less than the West, I don't mind the red tape.

But if I sense constant resentment from the locals everywhere I go, I'd rather be elsewhere. So what's the truth?

- What?re you planning to do to earn such the resentment? And don?t worry you can be easily replaced here.

I'm not planning to do anything to earn resentment. It's part of life in some places. I've lived in 3 towns on the Mexican border and have experienced open hostility from many there for just being white. Some of the posts here make me think many Thais feel the same way. Glad to hear it isn't so! By the way, red tape is a euphemism for dealing with the machinations of bureaucracy. You experience red tape even if you follow the rules. Not sure why you're reading what I'm writing as negative. I'm trying to find out if Thais want me, or farangs in general, in Thailand. If so great, sounds like a wonderful country. If not, I'll look elsewhere. Regards.

seems to me that part of your worries stem from your somewhat racist outlook on life...taks away skin colour and names of nationalities and you may get a clearer picture.

How is he a racist? Calling someone a racist is a serious accusation. Use the accusation carefully and, even on anonymous forum, your accusation is very wrong.

Racist Definition: Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

He didn't discriminate, but others treated him differently because of his skin. By your logic, a black person is racist if he complains that white New Yorkers disrespect him because of his skin color.

OP, Thailand is a wonderful place with its share of headaches. If you have at least a few hundred dollar nest egg, I'm sure you will find away to get around the visa issues. If you don't it can still be done, just takes a little more effort.

I don't think Thais want people to leave. In fact, many Thais themselves would like to go abroad. Sometimes here you can feel that nothing is easy and that you are a dog. It's easier for a Thai student studying in the US to get an apartment, driver's license, social security number, open a business, etc than it is for forigners to do it here. I know it can be done but its not easy. I'd like my country to crack down on foreigners. Thailand should too but it should treat the people it has allowed to be here a bit more like humans. But it will never happen as long as some people in Thailand believe they are higher than humans.

How is he a racist? Calling someone a racist is a serious accusation. Use the accusation carefully and, even on anonymous forum, your accusation is very wrong.

Racist Definition: Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

He didn't discriminate, but others treated him differently because of his skin. By your logic, a black person is racist if he complains that white New Yorkers disrespect him because of his skin color.

OP, Thailand is a wonderful place with its share of headaches. If you have at least a few hundred dollar nest egg, I'm sure you will find away to get around the visa issues. If you don't it can still be done, just takes a little more effort.

"He didn't discriminate, but others treated him differently because of his skin. By your logic, a black person is racist if he complains that white New Yorkers disrespect him because of his skin color."

Unfortunately most people on this posting haven't got a clue about racism - include yourself!

I will give the truthful answer, Thailand is good bad and everything in between. Everything changes here, without notice to you, this is a 3rd world country, so If you like to live in a 3rd world country, go for it. Just be aware you may be kicked out on your arse anytime, yes its true, and there is nothing you can do about it. Simple. I would prefer to have a more relaxed lifestyle, so would probably find somewhere more honest in its attitudes. Live here for a year or two, and then see how your perception of Thai people and society is, you will soon make your mind up.

:o

Give it a try, if all your efforts fail you can always buy a computer and spend all day long on inernet forums complaining about how Thailand has let you down.

Seriously, if you have enough money Thailand is good, it's the poorer guys that are constantly complaining cos they are stuck in Thailand with no way out. It's their own poor planning they should blame, not Thailand.

The richer guys are free to leave whenever they want, cos they can afford to !

Some people can choose to stay or choose to leave, others have no choice, they've nowhere else to go and have no choice but to stay in a Country they feel has let them down ( gotta blame someone I suppose ).

Hence the bitter and twisted anti-Thai posters on Forums, they where once unhappy in their own countries, so unhappy they were willing to haul up anchor and move 1000's of Miles away to what they assumed would be a better life, if they were willing to do it then, what is stopping them now?

I would suggest most don't have the airfare out. :o

Edited by Maigo6

Funny to read that people staying here in Thailand , with no intention to leave themselves give

an advice not to retire here at all , bit of a contrast isn't it ?

Maybe it is with us staying here long term do not wish to many to come over .

Before you know they say too many foreigners , and we all have a new requirement hanging .

Take all precautions (incl vasectomy) for children

Never marry a Thai woman (esp a bar girl)

Never start a business

Don't buy spendy goods that may need to be sold off on the cheap

Don't make roots that you are not willing to pull up within a year

If you are coming here simply for sex, you will be unhappy - stay home and find it there. If you are coming for 'love' - you will be even more disappointed.

Do not plan on making 'a home' here.

You will never be integrated into the society - you'll always be "farang'. Accept that.

*If you cant eat and enjoy Thai food, youll always be an total outsider among Thai's. That is a minimum.

Moving to another culture is a lifestyle change and while many 'expats' have avoided the culture by living in places like Pattaya, for those that have never lived abroad it will be VERY different.

thats the biggest load of rubbish.

Its seems you are just here to vent, which is understandable, many people who choose to go live in Thailand for many different reasons. Thailand is deffinately not for everyone.

I will be moving there in the next few years by work transfer, I have a great Thai wife (never worked at a bar) she is the one with the money in my relationship and is the best thing Ive ever meet, better then any farang or other nationalities. But maybe I just got extremely lucky as I have never dated any other Thai girls in my life.

I hope maybe oneday you can change your mind and enjoy the place, it will be healthier in the long run and you will have a happier life.

But thats assuming you live in Thailand though

Welcome to the farang club in Thailand. You'll find out many did not do well or fit in back home and the only choice is

to find somewhere else. Other than living a meager life in farangland they chose a place where relationships are cheap.

Nothing more, nothing less, if you can afford it, any place can be wonderful.

So, you're head cliche poster today are you.

Retiring and moving to another country is considered a success in all but the most warped little PC minds my friend.

Should you ever obtain enough wealth to do this, you will realise this. In the meantime enjoy your sour grapes!

Retire at 40! Second wife and family, small lifestyle business.... failure! No stress, no cold aching joints in a morning, no miserable faces on the tube every morning... failure! No slaving in a dull office for years on end turning greyer and greyer... failure! Walking on the beach everyday watching beautiful sunsets as opposed to seeing the filthy lining of the London Underground tunnels for an hour each day... Failure!

You must have some life Khun, do lets hear all about it! Show us what we should be aiming for and what we are lacking. I've listed mine and I am really keen to know what makes you so proud of yourself!!

Answers please NOT to include the ususal PC tosh such as "I am just happy not to be a fat, balding expat" please. Lets get to the crux of the matter.

Statisticatlly we middle aged men are in better shape than the cream of the crop that turn up on Khao San Road these days. We are relatively malnourished as far as I can see!!

Hi, just got the second edition of Retiring in Thailand by Phillip Bryce. I had just purchased the first edition a few months ago but noticed on Amazon the new one with updated info. He portrays Thais as very relaxed with foreigners, very happy to share their country with outsiders. Yet I keep reading on here that Thais are xenophobic, and are doing everything possible to encourage farangs to leave. What's the truth? Assuming I can afford to retire there in 10 years, will I be faced with constant hassle and harrassment? Or is it that once in awhile I'll have to deal with some red tape and some of you feel indignant about having to jump through some hoops to live there? If a quality lifestyle can be had for considerably less than the West, I don't mind the red tape. But if I sense constant resentment from the locals everywhere I go, I'd rather be elsewhere. So what's the truth?

I changed my outlook on life in 2004 at the age of 54yrs, the best move I have ever made, I have now been in Thailand 3 yrs or more and never looked back.

Dont spend to much time dwelling on whether you should or whether you should not, life is not a rehearsal you only get one chance. Also there are no pockets in shrouds, follow your heart mate.

so so much can happen in 10 years.... especially in this day and age...

work as hard as you can and if you have the means, come visit often before you decide to move... who knows, maybe by then you'll be well-off enough to retire where wealthy retirees retire, not where pensioners come to live out their miserable days...

so so much can happen in 10 years.... especially in this day and age...

work as hard as you can and if you have the means, come visit often before you decide to move... who knows, maybe by then you'll be well-off enough to retire where wealthy retirees retire, not where pensioners come to live out their miserable days...

Did he mention Pattaya ? :o

There is no universal "thruth" on living in Thailand. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. During the years I spent backpacking around the world, I learned at a young age not to pay too much attention to other people's opinions about places. What is paradise to one guy, is h-ell to another. It all depends on which people you happen to meet, and what situations you chance to stumble into. But most depends on your own attitude.

I know what it is though, to move around in a place where people are really hostile to (my type of) foreigner. Mexico was an example, the first thing I learned to say in Spanish was " I am not an American, I am a European", which made them a lot friendlier indeed. Another example was South Africa during the apartheid period, as far as the black people were concerned. Yes of course they had very good reasons.

No way there is anything like that in Thailand if you are a westerner. You can become very much liked and accepted here, with the small "but" that you can never really integrate. Also if you learn to speak Thai fluently, get married with a Thai and raise 12 children, and set up a business where in the end 800 people are working, a "farang" you always remain. But I can live with that.

The truth !?!

You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has Thais. And those Thais have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You?

--------------------------

Excellent, Now that's destined to be a classic... :o

If you are not very wealthy, the chance you will be kicked out of Thailand in the future is great. The visa rules are mostly about ever increasing financial requirements. Like someone else said, if you are anywhere near marginal at the time of retirement, you almost certainly will be priced out. Thailand is not as cheap as people think, not by a longshot, especially for weak Bush dollar Americans.

Chiang Mai is nice. During a period of some months every year, the air pollution is some of the worst in the world. Visibly horrible with people wearing masks. The lung disease rates (cancer, asthma, etc) are also some of the highest in the world. If you don't have any lung problems now, you will if you move there.

Yes, you keep your currency and I will keep my U.S. dollar...get back to me next year and we will discuss the issue again. What does Bush have to do with the currency, you spaz?!

Not sure why you're reading what I'm writing as negative. I'm trying to find out if Thais want me, or farangs in general, in Thailand. If so great, sounds like a wonderful country. If not, I'll look elsewhere. Regards.

Was I coming down on you? I thought I was being quite helpful answering your questions, really from one of the “inside” sources.

I can see that the great thai educational system has prepared you to deal with anybody not thai. You have rice, you have nightlife...that is it....

i think it depends on the persons personality or outlook.there are so many westerners over here now that you hardly get a second look.you can be invisible in thailand,& nobody bothers you outside the overly tourist areas.

if you like alot of attention,& expect special treatment from the locals(which i think is where some negative opinions about thailand can be born from) though,maybe its not for you.

maybe there is a certain amount of xeonophobia or flat out racism here,but its certainly not obvious in everyday life here,or at least in your face.

I can see that the great thai educational system has prepared you to deal with anybody not thai. You have rice, you have nightlife...that is it....

i think she has been educated in the states. :o

as far as the op's question. you wont find too much of a problem from thais. if you notice that most of the people who post here who have big issues with thais have 'issues' pretty with everything generally. whether you will like it here or not can only be found out by spending time here. the visa regs are a pain.

as we are in thailand a buddhist parable is in order: a monk is walking along the road and comes accross a guy walking in the opposite direction. thye chat for a bit and the man asks him ' whats it like in the next town?'

the monk answers by asking him how he found the last town. the guy says it was great, the people were great, really friendly, generous and warm. the monk says i think you will find the people in the next town the same, and they both carry on in their respective directions.

the monk comes accross another guy walking towards the next town. the guy asks the same question and the monk asnwers in the same way, asking him how he found the last one,. the man answers, thye were as mean as hel_l, thats why i am getting out they were all surly, rude and stingy. the monk says well i think you will find them the same in the next town.

others have said something similar, hope i am not patronising you.

Edited by longway

Give it a try, if all your efforts fail you can always buy a computer and spend all day long on inernet forums complaining about how Thailand has let you down.

Seriously, if you have enough money Thailand is good, it's the poorer guys that are constantly complaining cos they are stuck in Thailand with no way out. It's their own poor planning they should blame, not Thailand.

The richer guys are free to leave whenever they want, cos they can afford to !

Some people can choose to stay or choose to leave, others have no choice, they've nowhere else to go and have no choice but to stay in a Country they feel has let them down ( gotta blame someone I suppose ).

Hence the bitter and twisted anti-Thai posters on Forums, they where once unhappy in their own countries, so unhappy they were willing to haul up anchor and move 1000's of Miles away to what they assumed would be a better life, if they were willing to do it then, what is stopping them now?

I would suggest most don't have the airfare out. :o

AMEN!

What does Bush have to do with the currency, you spaz?!

What indeed. The Bush dollar policy is the WEAK DOLLAR policy. There is a clear record on that, it has to do with a sneaky attempt to control his obscene federal deficits.

Edited by Jingthing