How Rich Thais View Poor

Tnil

That has absolutely no relevance to the point about class discrimantion based on skin colour, which from my understanding is where this thread has been heading.

As to your pointed question, I don't need to answear that.

The girl's skin colour was never mentioned, and Kitty stated that the girl was not ugly, and could have found employment in other areas.

Not sure why you have been assuming that's the critical factor here.

The point about the "choice" between being a prostitute and working as a sales clerk was one Kitty made, and one many seem to have missed.

Note the use of the words, thread and heading.

I was not just commenting on Kitty, but where a lot of people assumptions originate from.

Oh ... maybe that's one factor, but there are surely many more.

Oh, there's plenty, but I neither have the time or the inclination to list them, as I need a beer. :o

Toot toot ! Drive carefully ! :D

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[

Toot toot ! Drive carefully ! :D

I'll be careful it's a long drive from the kitchen to the living room :o Although, probably watching our Rugby side play like a bunch of muppets later this evening may induce a few extra beers to come out of the fridge. :D

Hey Sexpats? What is it about them that makes guys want to share their futures and fortunes with? To me, they're like toilets that you just relieve yourself in and move on. You don't marry them. And trust me, if you didn't have the money, they wouldn't marry you too.

I thought this was awesome, but yea that type of bitch is kind of annoying, i have friends like that and they are just really rich from mommy/daddyz bahtz and are for the most part way more whorish when it comes to getting <deleted>.cked especially by foreigners, except they dont get paid. I just laugh because it would be great to be born into such blissful ignorance and only worry about things like what type of new cellphone i am getting etc, but its all cool if you wanna throw the grey goose on your VISA debit card that your mom just reloaded for you then, shit yes lets do it! I think the thing that pisses them off the most is just their own default ignorance toward all things isaan (read : Laotian). Oh well theres people like that everywhere in every country and culture but no need to overreact just because you saw a thai girl who can speak, read, and write english and post her opinions online.

I fail to see the comparison.

They both talk about foreigners unknowingly breaking society rules. Borat the movie is rather cool about it - make a joke and move along. Kitty decided to post it in her blog (that's what blogs are for, btw).

The difference here, on TV, is that after the movie no one campaigned against stereotyping prostitutes. Maybe because it's a perfectly normal reaction in the West. Why people are surprised that Thai stereotypes are no different?

It's the denial that there stereotypes even exist here is what baffling me.

>>>>

I also don't understand people who fight against this "prejudice" but are ready to crucify Kitty for the actions of her granddad thrity years ago. How old is Kitty anyway?

I just would like to see Thailand be one year without prostitution resp. without sextourists :o

Quality tourist nowadays often travel to Vietnam or Filipines, so what ? Would Thailand have more "quality" tourist from Russia or what ?

I cant really imagine a bargirl without language skills beeing a fly-attendant.

I just would like to see Thailand be one year without prostitution resp. without sextourists :D

Quality tourist nowadays often travel to Vietnam or Filipines, so what ? Would Thailand have more "quality" tourist from Russia or what ?

------------------------

Vietnam or Philippines, hummm, NO PROSTITUTES THERE! :o

I just would like to see Thailand be one year without prostitution resp. without sextourists :D

------------------------

I just would like to say that in next years Thailand will be battling for tourists mainly from Asia and even from Europe with those countries. In EU you may very often hear that Thailand is nowadays overpriced and unfriendly.

Why can't farangs be discrete about their fun time with girls, like Thais or Asians?

Also the girls in the Thai scene do not attract any attention to themselves. You'll never spot a girl working in the local market, they know how to behave. It's only girls servicing farangs who seem to drop all social inhibitions and parade their "skills" for everyone to notice.

...Similarly there isn't such a prominent assumption in (developed) Western countries that any western girl seen with an Asian guy is a hooker. BTW How would you feel if there was? Guess you've probably not thougt of that.

Kitty's annoyance & bewilderment came in part from feeling that it is this kind of behaviour (perversely and rather pathetically trying to publically "normalise" the relationship when it's patently a relationship of prostitute and client) that contributes to the notion that *every* Thai is for rent. I find her view understandable.

If you peruse the classic academic literature on Thailand you will note that at one time Thai society was frequently described as being based upon patron-client relationships. Those of us who spend time in the rural area know that the patron-client relationship, although not as pervasive as it once was, is still alive and well.

Why can't farangs be discrete about their fun time with girls, like Thais or Asians?

Also the girls in the Thai scene do not attract any attention to themselves. You'll never spot a girl working in the local market, they know how to behave. It's only girls servicing farangs who seem to drop all social inhibitions and parade their "skills" for everyone to notice.

the funny thing would be if the farang with the thai ho's are faithful while the thai men with the respectful girls have banged the entire sideline at the mirage. i like living in thailand and i try not to step on anyone's toes, but some of you are like a little puppy dog "please realize that i am dignified just like you ms. hiso lady, i dont eat any of my meals streetside and all of my girlfriends were thai chinese from good respectable families, i only sleep with hos behind closed doors, please throw me a little doggy treat i am a pet farang".

------------------------

I just would like to say that in next years Thailand will be battling for tourists mainly from Asia and even from Europe with those countries. In EU you may very often hear that Thailand is nowadays overpriced and unfriendly.

------------------

I whole heartedly agree. Especially since my first visit to LOS was in 1971 courtesy US Navy.

First stop Sattahip. Boy those were the days. BKK was mostly rice fields.

On last years bombing run to Pattya my buddy and I were commenting on how the attitudes and behaviour of the locals was dramatically changing.

One rude and aggressive girl called me a Kwai after ignoring her welcome greeting and arm pulling.

I said "your mother's a Kwai."

Jaws dropped but everyone laughed, except the rude little bitch.

Actually I've canceled my annual one month Christmas vacation to LOS this year.

Now there's way to much local Thai talent right here in San Diego and the weather is much better.

I won't miss the flight over either... :D

"like Thais or Asians" ............ Asians for example in Pattaya behave in the same way as frangs do ! I understand that half-naked girl with farang or Asian could be problem for somebody, but if the girl is decently clothed, who the hel_l could judge me if I take her to cinema or restaurant.

"like Thais or Asians" ............ Asians for example in Pattaya behave in the same way as frangs do ! I understand that half-naked girl with farang or Asian could be problem for somebody, but if the girl is decently clothed, who the hel_l could judge me if I take her to cinema or restaurant.

----------------------------

I was married to a Thai girl from a wealthy family for 8 years. Belive me no matter how nicely she dressed she was almost always taken for a whore when we were out in public.

That's just the way it is.

on average, the percent of thai girls dressed poorly is very low. i think you are probably looking at every thai girl with an older man and calling her a hooker. maybe she is, but what the hel_l do you want from her? what you are basicaly saying is that dark skinned thai girls and older farang men shouldnt be seen together. correct?

I was married to a Thai girl from a wealthy family for 8 years. Belive me no matter how nicely she dressed she was almost always taken for a whore when we were out in public.

This is problem of Thai society not farangs :o

The vast majority of people who are disdainful of anyone outside their class level are simply insecure. If you were to take away their fortune and their material objects (and status) they would be pitiful, pathetic and useless lower beings--which is what they fear most.

So does that judgment apply to those who disdain the rich? :D

:o

Couple good posts from CG.

And let's not forget how the poor, relatively poor, and even middle classes view the wealthy. A lot of those views and opinions are unfair, unjust, and hurtful as well.

:D

I feel so sorry for the rich!

If you read further into her blog, you'll see that she stood up to question the Minister of Information (aka the man who censored youtube) when he spoke at the FCC, and was quite confrontational with him. Now that's guts. Oh -- how I would have loved to be there! :o

And if you delve deeper into her blog, you'll find a post where she agonises over what matching carrybag to buy for her "sugalicious" pink Sony VAIO laptop.

Yes these are difficult decissions!

Edited by philliphn

This is problem of Thai society not farangs :o

--------------------------

Thank you.

Now back to tankless water heaters... :D

Rule number one

You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane,

sexually oriented, referencing prostitution (including bargirls and barboys),

referencing suicide, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

Rule number one

You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane,

referencing suicide, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

Ah so that explains why the original link was deleted. I wondered that. Fits quite a few of those :o

Edited by fletchthai68

on average, the percent of thai girls dressed poorly is very low. i think you are probably looking at every thai girl with an older man and calling her a hooker. maybe she is, but what the hel_l do you want from her? what you are basicaly saying is that dark skinned thai girls and older farang men shouldnt be seen together. correct?

There are lots of farangs where I live, and no farang bar scene whatsoever. I don't think it's so difficult to tell their Thai girlfriends and wives from the kind you pick up at Nana.

Pros working farangs have very distinct features. I can't claim 100% accuracy, but if it walks like duck and talks like a duck...

Prostitution is just another service. Nothing wrong with it. Not much different than a Dental Hygeinist cleaning your teath. The only difference is the areas that they focus on. By Thai standards the Guest Relations Workers are very well compensated for their services. This allows them to help their extended famalies. I applaud them for doing this. Prostitution should be legalized and licensed world wide. Canada, and Holland are places where for example prostitution is legalized and licensed. I applaud the Canadians and Dutch for their enlightened attitudes towards the important services that their Guest Relations Workers perform. People should not look down on Guest Relations Workers!

People who don't give a shit what the others around them think, and do what they want to do without caring who they offend -- are often found to be unwelcome in many places, not just Emporium.

So what? If everyone thought that Canadians had no place in Emporium and found them offensive, would you continue to shop there, or crouch under the nearest stone and hide?

perhaps, if she was in thailand .... but like many on this board her opinions of thailand are written form afar.

that said, i believe she has a point regarding prostitutes out of context, as i believe kitty has a right to her opinoin and even her disdain. i choose not to bicker about her choice of words, but instead read the gist of her argument, as it is something i have heard before from others.

every hard working thai cringes when they hear that thailand is a sexual paradise and the belief that there is little more to the place. i cringe at the general attitude to "the thai" that i read here.

As guesthouse has pointed out, kitty's blog is only remarkable in that it is written in english and acessible to those who repeatedly assert that Thais are indifferent to prostitution. they are not, especially when their noses are rubbed in it.

i feel for those here in honest, loving relationships who are aware of that disdain directed at them and their partners, but they must ask themselves where this disdain comes from, and the example kitty points out in her blog is certainly a contributing factor.

many thais, at least in bangkok, are becoming increasingly unwilling to accept inapropriate behavior from their foreign guests. as it should be anywhere, respect must be earned.

Rule number one

Ah so that explains why the original link was deleted. I wondered that. Fits quite a few of those :o

-----------------------------

Ya think... :D

Prostitution is just another service. Nothing wrong with it. Not much different than a Dental Hygeinist cleaning your teath.

Some people get worked up when prostitutes are compared to toilets. That's another valuable service.

The thing is, not all "services" deserve the same respect. Some will always get more recognition than others. And some less. That's the way the world works and it's never going to change.

>>>

I wished they'd left their work at the bar and behaved like customers/shoppers/ordinary folks outside. Then they would be respected as customers/shoppers/ordinary folks by everybody, including Kitty.

Prostitution is just another service. Nothing wrong with it. Not much different than a Dental Hygeinist cleaning your teath. The only difference is the areas that they focus on. By Thai standards the Guest Relations Workers are very well compensated for their services. This allows them to help their extended famalies. I applaud them for doing this. Prostitution should be legalized and licensed world wide. Canada, and Holland are places where for example prostitution is legalized and licensed. I applaud the Canadians and Dutch for their enlightened attitudes towards the important services that their Guest Relations Workers perform. People should not look down on Guest Relations Workers!

--------------------

Thank you... :o

Canada, and Holland are places where for example prostitution is legalized and licensed. I applaud the Canadians and Dutch for their enlightened attitudes towards the important services that their Guest Relations Workers perform. People should not look down on Guest Relations Workers!

Even in liberal Holland things are changing:

Mr Cohen believes the legalisation of prostitution in the Netherlands seven years ago hasn't had the desired effect. Many prostitutes have not become "ordinary employees" or self-employed businesswomen, but are still exploited by pimps. The mayor is therefore calling for a ban on pimping.

Rest of the article here:

http://www.radionetherlands.nl/currentaffairs/ams070921mc