Dangerous Construction Site

sugarhead

We're living on Narathiwat Soi 3 and since a couple of months construction of a building has been going on. Unfortunately, it seems that the construction company in charge has or no clue about public safety and the safety of it's workers, or doesn't care at all.

The site is totally open and accessible to everyone 24 hours a day. The workers are sleeping, eating, washing, in short living on the premises. Construction materials are now starting to obstruct the street (long time already that we can't walk on that side of the street anymore).

It has come to the point that I do not allow my family to walk in this section of the street anymore, far too hazardous.They need to walk the block around. Unfortunately,my son's school bus uses this road and I don't want to imagine those materials falling from a high floor right on the bus !

According to Thai Labour Law, construction sites need to be fenced off, workers are not allowed to live on-site, etc. At least, that's what I was told during my training....

Anyone knows where I could report such malpractices and will I get heard ? ....before a real accident occurs....

We're living on Narathiwat Soi 3 and since a couple of months construction of a building has been going on. Unfortunately, it seems that the construction company in charge has or no clue about public safety and the safety of it's workers, or doesn't care at all.

The site is totally open and accessible to everyone 24 hours a day. The workers are sleeping, eating, washing, in short living on the premises. Construction materials are now starting to obstruct the street (long time already that we can't walk on that side of the street anymore).

It has come to the point that I do not allow my family to walk in this section of the street anymore, far too hazardous.They need to walk the block around. Unfortunately,my son's school bus uses this road and I don't want to imagine those materials falling from a high floor right on the bus !

According to Thai Labour Law, construction sites need to be fenced off, workers are not allowed to live on-site, etc. At least, that's what I was told during my training....

Anyone knows where I could report such malpractices and will I get heard ? ....before a real accident occurs....

oh, come on! you don't seriously think any authority in thailand is going to listen to, even less do anything about your complaint, valid as it may be.

hazardous practices, use of banned (even in thailand) pesticides, insanely dangerous driving ,overloaded and unroadworthy vehicles all go largely unnoticed in thailand, and the only time an authority acts is if there is some money to be made out of it.

Oh, pardon the intrusion. I thought this was about old geezer Farangs "Dating" young ladies. Probably carbon dating would be a good way to determine the Farangs age, given how ancient most of them are. They were probably born before birth certificates were invented.

Oh, pardon the intrusion. I thought this was about old geezer Farangs "Dating" young ladies. Probably carbon dating would be a good way to determine the Farangs age, given how ancient most of them are. They were probably born before birth certificates were invented.

:o

I'd find out who owns the construction company before you start complaining too loudly - Many contstuction companies are owned by politicians and other like maffia.

The site should have a board up declaring who the construction company are and who the managers/architects are - A 'polite' letter to them would be as far as I would go.

Meanwhile take a detor if you can and don't walk under scaffolds or too near the edge of excavations.

What you describe seems pretty par for the course.

I lived next to a hotel construction site in Bangkok for a few months. The workers (from Isaan, I think) lived on the site with their families in the shells of the rooms they were constructing. The women seemed to do a lot of the hard manual work, with a scarf wrapped around their face to keep away the sun and dust. Safety seemed very lax compared to England, although luckily no one seemed to get hurt while I was there.

I lived next to a hotel construction site in Bangkok for a few months. The workers (from Isaan, I think) lived on the site with their families in the shells of the rooms they were constructing. The women seemed to do a lot of the hard manual work, with a scarf wrapped around their face to keep away the sun and dust. Safety seemed very lax compared to England, although luckily no one seemed to get hurt while I was there.

"Safety seemed very lax compared to England," really ?

Not so long ago in a lttle village not far from Pattaya there was a new building project. There were 15 lovely new houses under construction which were being built for some naive ferangs to live happily ever after. One day along came the building inspector (clerk of works type of guy) who - during his routine checks - found the standard of work to be totally unsafe and of the lowest imaginable quality. In his lack of wisdom he complained to the project manager. In return he was offered some extra baht - which he refused.

Anyway to cut a long story short, he was shot dead. (True story)

Edited by pointofview

"Safety seemed very lax compared to England," really ?

Every time hear health and safety and England in the same statement, I have to laugh. It is a bureacracy completely running amok. Don't get me wrong, it has its place, but it seems to prevent a heck of a lot more progress than it saves injuries and fatalities from happening.

You don't write laws to implement policies that cannot be effectively enforced. With health and safety in England, it is either completely over the top or completely non-existent. There is no middle ground, i.e., reasonable common sense and sound workmanship doing what no bureacracy ever could.

Back to the OP, I agree with another poster to send a very polite letter to the construction company. I would even suggest going one step further. That step would be to hire a lawyer to write and deliver the letter for you. This would at least give some chance or retaining anonimity. Also, the lawyer might found out who has to be paid off to really get some action, and act as an anonymous conduit for making that happen. Good luck.

[

Back to the OP, I agree with another poster to send a very polite letter to the construction company. I would even suggest going one step further. That step would be to hire a lawyer to write and deliver the letter for you. This would at least give some chance or retaining anonimity. Also, the lawyer might found out who has to be paid off to really get some action, and act as an anonymous conduit for making that happen. Good luck.

Oh, how lovely - and everyone will see how silly they have been :o