Best School Just Lost 2 More

kpeanut

My daughter in the UK is a qualified teacher - she is now head of her department (languages) at a large school.

The schools she has worked in have had poor reputations, due to the potential violence, lack of interest in learning, etc. But at two of the three schools a change of head teacher brought about a remarkable change in the school. Both, within three years of changing the head teacher, have improved attendance records, improved exam results, improved the quality of teaching. It needs dedicated teachers, supported by the local education authority, to give good education. The parents mostly want this anyway and realise that their kids will have a better life if they have a better education.

In the case of B,E,S,T, is this also true? Does the head teacher take an interest in keeping the school clean? Does he/she make sure that the environment is safe for the pupils? Or is he/she prevented from improving the school by the owner?

My children go to a Thai-oriented school (Aksorn) which is good within the Thai system, but I am thinking of returning to UK with the family to give the kids a good English education. I have a house in Cambridge, where most of the schools are peaceful, happy sources of learning.

How can a school even be allowed to operate without a playground? At least a gymnasium?

Even before choosing an adequate school, the one thing that terrifies me most as well is sending a child into that crazy traffic five days a week to get to that school with someone other than me driving, and even then, I encounter kamikaze drivers every minute... :o I don't think I' ll ever be able to cope with this kind of driver behavior, after four years, I still can't. Living within walking distance could be a solution, still...

Then there will be the task of finding out if a chosen school is mainly run as a business or real place of learning.

For now, the only viable option we see as future parents is to move back to my country where road safety exists, laws are enforced, school buses are clearly identified and have priority and schools are closely and strictly monitored.

I no longer care about living here when it comes to child safety and proper education.

I don't know where you're from Tony but I've spoken to a few teachers from UK that are working overseas and the overwhelming reason for leaving UK is that it's just too dangerous in the schools there with kids carrying knives and an inability to enforce discipline.

A student here has way more chances of getting injured or dying in a traffic related accident than a UK student getting stabbed while in school. Should we delay moving out of here, home school will be the option in the meantime.

So many people quick to critise but slow to defend. Those of you who have children at BEST, as I do, must have received a letter (dated 28th Sepember) from the School Pincipal informing the parents that the school has leased the land adjacent to the new building which will be used as a car park. The land, after suitable preparation of the surface, will also be used as a sports field. Those who have moaned, particularly about the proposed 10 baht parking fee, where is your voice of support now?

Edited by Taijitu

So many people quick to critise but slow to defend. Those of you who have children at BEST, as I do, must have received a letter (dated 28th Sepember) from the School Pincipal informing the parents that the school has leased the land adjacent to the new building which will be used as a car park. The land, after suitable preparation of the surface, will also be used as a sports field. Those who have moaned, particularly about the proposed 10 baht parking fee, where is your voice of support now?

Have you seen the land, this land was used previously by the school as a car park, see how they prepare it as a sports field. ( the letter states it will be leveled nothing about any grass? it states it will be available for "sports day" not every day sports use.

My initial comment stated clearly I was not posting regarding the 10 baht, lest see what Best do with this land, it is not theirs so I doubt they will spend a great deal of money on it.

I wonder also if they will bother to clean the school when it closes tomorrow for 3-4 weeks? Have never bothered in the past so why start now.

Yesterday I visited Satit, all I can say is I wish I had done this a long time ago, yes the cost is nearly double Best for the english program but this is very different, the teaching is 75% english and 25% thai rather than 50/50 in Best, the classes have 10-12 students rather than Bests 28 as in one of my childrens classes.

Facilities well you must take a look to see that there is no comparison.

I do listen to what people say on here, I took into consideration posts regarding the travel time to Rayong for the REP and how dangerous the road is, this is why I have chosen Satit,

Please go take a look at Satit before you jump on the Best is great Band Wagon.

Best served a purpose while there was no other school of note offering an English program in the area, it at one time had good teachers in abundance, there are not many left however and it has gone down hill rapidly in any areas.

I am not alone in this way of thinking.

If Best suits you and you are happy with its educational, discipline standards and its facilitries then good for you.

I am not hence the move.

As a graduate of GIS Rayong, i can tell you 1st hand that REPS has a good and friendly staff.. With equipments up with the standards of GIS (Sometimes better :o ) e.g. Sporting equipment for young kids.. :D

Also, REPS will be moving soon of what ive heard.. Moving to a NEW building behind the basketball court of GIS.. :D

My Son goes to Best, and the problem I have is Reps is just too far away. Even though they have a school bus that comes to Pattaya two and three hrs a day on the schoo bus is just too much, and even if I drove him it's too far awa from Pattaya.

I'm going to see what happens at Best next term, my wife doesn't want to make any moves mid year. The way things are going, I can see Best losing lots of students at the beginning of the next school year.

Barry

Rayong too far away from Pattaya ? :D

I drive my daughter to and from school in Rayong every day (and because she is only kindergarten and finishes at 12.30 - on Fridays I make an extra trip out and back again in the afternoon when she does horseriding). It takes me about 20-25 minutes one way and the drive down there is actually quite nice. Sure it's a bit of a pain in the a$$ to do so much driving, but considering all that my daughter actually gets out of from going to an english international school that has both wonderful teaching & admin staff, as well as great facilities - I don't mind dealing with something like a bit of travelling distance if it means that my child loves being there, has teachers that actually teach and genuinely care for the her and that the school grounds are both safe and clean. And there are obviously other parents who feel/think the same way as I see a number of parents who travel everyday from Pattaya to drop off and pickup their children.

After hearing and reading so many negative experiences about BEST (and the other schools in Pattaya) the fact I have to drive"so far" for my daughter to actually receive an education in a safe and friendly environment (even though it does cost a small fortune :D ) doesn't seem so bad.

BTW - Rayong isn't so bad when compared to the time it usually takes to drive from one side of town to the other, especially late afternoons and weekends :bah:

I am an international school teacher with 30 years experience in the UK and a number of other countries. Since my eldest son was born 9 years ago, I have been combining Supply teaching in England with spending time in Thailand with my Thai wife and 2 boys. Last year I got a teaching post at a Micky Mouse Int school in Bngkok (Lord Shaftsbury) and brought my 2 boys out to be educated. They are extremely talented kids and after a few months I was asked to leave the school as I was putting too much pressure on them with the poor quality of teaching. We came to live in our condo in Na Jomtien and checked out what was on offer and I decided that the best way forward for them was Home Education. I am lucky as I can cover the Core program and we had a Thai teacher 4 hours a week plus music lessons. As a Pe teacher they get to be taught swimming for an hour a day plus 90 mins tennis. The result is, they are studying maths and English way beyond their years, are fantastic swimmers and outstanding tennis players. They interact perfectly with other kids and most importantly we are as close a family asyou can get. I was offered a teaching post at Garden but turned it down when they tried to offer me a full time job on less than full time salary. The education in Thailand is awful and I commiserate with all who have to educate your kids here. BEST is without doubt the worst of them all may I say. One possible suggestion. Are there not enough of you to form a group to educate your kids at home. You do not have to be teachers - simply dedicated and willing. The internet has some fantastic resources and I would guarantee that your kids would be safer in your hands than in the hands of the many dubious teachers who are happy to teach for 30-40000 baht/month!

For those of you that might be interested in home schooling you might want to check out this website: www.calvertschool.org

They supply all the teaching materials, etc for home schooling. They are located in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.

Have you seen the land, this land was used previously by the school as a car park, see how they prepare it as a sports field. ( the letter states it will be leveled nothing about any grass? it states it will be available for "sports day" not every day sports use.

My initial comment stated clearly I was not posting regarding the 10 baht, lest see what Best do with this land, it is not theirs so I doubt they will spend a great deal of money on it.

I wonder also if they will bother to clean the school when it closes tomorrow for 3-4 weeks? Have never bothered in the past so why start now.

Yesterday I visited Satit, all I can say is I wish I had done this a long time ago, yes the cost is nearly double Best for the english program but this is very different, the teaching is 75% english and 25% thai rather than 50/50 in Best, the classes have 10-12 students rather than Bests 28 as in one of my childrens classes.

Facilities well you must take a look to see that there is no comparison.

I do listen to what people say on here, I took into consideration posts regarding the travel time to Rayong for the REP and how dangerous the road is, this is why I have chosen Satit,

Please go take a look at Satit before you jump on the Best is great Band Wagon.

Best served a purpose while there was no other school of note offering an English program in the area, it at one time had good teachers in abundance, there are not many left however and it has gone down hill rapidly in any areas.

I am not alone in this way of thinking.

If Best suits you and you are happy with its educational, discipline standards and its facilitries then good for you.

I am not hence the move.

I looked at Satit last year and spoke with some teachers. At that time they did not have an English program. I'm going to stay with Best at least until the end of next term. I want to see what kind of English program Satit comes up with. Here in Thailand, people talk a lot, but more too often what they promise tends not to come true. I hope this is not the case with Satit. I totally agree the facilities at Satit is superb.

Barry

I am not hence the move.

I looked at Satit last year and spoke with some teachers. At that time they did not have an English program. I'm going to stay with Best at least until the end of next term. I want to see what kind of English program Satit comes up with. Here in Thailand, people talk a lot, but more too often what they promise tends not to come true. I hope this is not the case with Satit. I totally agree the facilities at Satit is superb.

Barry

I also have a daughter at BEST, she is in Kindergarden 2. In the past I have recieved 'notes' from my daughter's teacher asking us to please sent soap to the school with my daughter so that she can wash and clean her hands properly after visiting the toilet, before eating lunch, etc. The school has no money to purchase 'soap' for the washrooms!

On an education point, I am happy with my daughter's standard of learning at Kindergarden level, however unless the management of the school (and hence the employment of more native English speaking teachers) changes in the next year, I also will be looking at a change of school for my daughter.

Does anyone send their children to Marivit School, and if yes, what do you think of it? I understand that Marivit does not have an English programe at the moment, but I would think that all private Thai schools will go the way of bilingual teaching in the future, or am I being optomistic?

However yesterday when I collected my two I parked in the ground at the rear only to see a sign that it would cost me 10 baht a day now to park and wait for them.

This land is not owned by the school however it it is used by the school for sports days even though it is just a dirt field.

Now I am not concerned about the 10 baht, what I am concerned about is sending my children to a school that does not have the resources to either rent or buy this land and turn it into a proper sports field / car park for the school.

The letter the Thai principal sent out stated that this was beyond their control, I see this is only the case as they are not willing to rent the land.

Now there are approximately 30 cars a day 5 days a week that's 6000 baht a month, so you can assume that to rent the land would be in this region, at most I can see no more that 20,000 a month due to its location, I may be wrong so please correct me if anyone knows better.

The school has just lost 140,000 baht a year for my two children who will at start of the new term be attending either Satit or REP, I have yet to decide, so it is false economy for them without a doubt.

Again this is not about 10 baht as it will cost considerably more to move them to either of the new schools, however I just cannot justify sending them to Best any more when all they can say about the school not having a sports field or adequate car parking is "its beyond our control"

So we are voting with our feet.. goodbye Best Burapha!!

My children is at satit. They are very happy there.....and they do actually learn something. We are very happy with that school.

I am an international school teacher with 30 years experience in the UK and a number of other countries. Since my eldest son was born 9 years ago, I have been combining Supply teaching in England with spending time in Thailand with my Thai wife and 2 boys. Last year I got a teaching post at a Micky Mouse Int school in Bngkok (Lord Shaftsbury) and brought my 2 boys out to be educated. They are extremely talented kids and after a few months I was asked to leave the school as I was putting too much pressure on them with the poor quality of teaching. We came to live in our condo in Na Jomtien and checked out what was on offer and I decided that the best way forward for them was Home Education. I am lucky as I can cover the Core program and we had a Thai teacher 4 hours a week plus music lessons. As a Pe teacher they get to be taught swimming for an hour a day plus 90 mins tennis. The result is, they are studying maths and English way beyond their years, are fantastic swimmers and outstanding tennis players. They interact perfectly with other kids and most importantly we are as close a family asyou can get. I was offered a teaching post at Garden but turned it down when they tried to offer me a full time job on less than full time salary. The education in Thailand is awful and I commiserate with all who have to educate your kids here. BEST is without doubt the worst of them all may I say. One possible suggestion. Are there not enough of you to form a group to educate your kids at home. You do not have to be teachers - simply dedicated and willing. The internet has some fantastic resources and I would guarantee that your kids would be safer in your hands than in the hands of the many dubious teachers who are happy to teach for 30-40000 baht/month!

I agree with home school in Pattaya. My daughter is Year 1 and I have yet to find a decent school that can give an all rounded education with modern education philosophies, this includes the expensive international schools as well as Satit (actually I prefer Satit to some of the international schools). Pattaya has excellent facilities for extra-curricula enrichment where she can meet friends and enjoy a social network. The internet is amazing and I can offer her all the subjects at Key Stage 1 (British Curriculum) as well as being able to offer her more creative ways to explore a subject that she is particularly interested in. I can purchase all the required assessments so that she is assessed alongside her peers too. Maybe we should set up a home school group in Pattaya. PM me if anyone is interested.....

my son goes to assumtion school in sriracha and does the english program,what a school absolutely fantastic ,2 terms 40k a term and a bus collects and delivers him home.1900 bhat a month,so many playing fields football pitches and swimming pools and the grounds are superb as is the standard of teaching,

We went to see this school and it did look good and clean but I was told it was for boys only in Primary classes is the true? no education for girls? I can't believe they still segrirate in this day and age even in Thailand!

• 3 months later...

My child is at Rayong English Programme School. He is very happy there.....there is a bilingual school(THai & English). I prefer my child to learn english and Thai language. There is quiet place.

Edited by pommy61

.........Thai owners are greedy and stingy but so so are the owners of most of the International Schools.

....now is it a wild guess or you know for certain??? If your statement is true then why in the world there have been almost no complaints whatsoever about the other International schools such as The Regents, St. Andrew, Garden International, and International School of Eastern Seaboard - other than "They're expensive!". Is it fair for me to say "You get what you paid for?" ....hmmmm maybe???

my son goes to assumtion school in sriracha and does the english program,what a school absolutely fantastic ,2 terms 40k a term and a bus collects and delivers him home.1900 bhat a month,so many playing fields football pitches and swimming pools and the grounds are superb as is the standard of teaching,

We went to see this school and it did look good and clean but I was told it was for boys only in Primary classes is the true? no education for girls? I can't believe they still segrirate in this day and age even in Thailand!

And yes.............they still SEGREGATE in Thailand along with many other western countries that have all girls / boys schools :D

In the UK alone..........there are well over 500 GIRLS schools and similar for BOYS. Thousands in America. How many in Europe? Hard to believe in this day and age I know. :o

Edited by stevemiddie

And yes.............they still SEGREGATE in Thailand along with many other western countries that have all girls / boys schools :D

In the UK alone..........there are well over 500 GIRLS schools and similar for BOYS. Thousands in America. How many in Europe? Hard to believe in this day and age I know. :o

Well, well Stevemiddie you dragged up this old thread about BEST school (another slating) to correct my spelling mistake and make what point exactly?

I firmly believe that segregated schools are very bad for children and even if I had two boys I would not send them to an all boy's school.

Both my children are really happy at REPS and the teachers are great (they both have dedicated English speaking teachers as well as good Thai teachers who also speak good English) the communication to the parents is excellent at this school they arrange educational trips regularly for the kids and great interactive activities. The new building is really fantastic with excellent facilities which put BEST to shame. It is clean and well maintained which is a lot more than can be said for BEST even the new building was filthy.

Thank you for finding this thread again (I had forgotten about it since there have been so many others since about how bad BEST school has become) on reading it again I think it was actually a very good thread! :D

Corrections:

It was Pommy61 who resuscitated this thread.

Judging by the annual school ratings published in the English newspapers - segregation is a good thing. The top ten schools are usually single sex schools - sometimes the top twenty.

I went to an all-boys school and my daughter went to St Helens, Northwood - one of the top ten most years, and an all-girls school.

The only harm it did me was that I spent the next fifty years playing rugby rather than getting on with making money or digging an allotment.

But I have had many friends in Christian Brothers schools, where a leavening of female presence may have ameliorated the regimen.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

As a retired Principal with about 30 years in the game in various countries including both the state and private sector I'd like to offer my sympathies to all the parents who've commented herein.

A couple of points;

1. All private institutions are established to make money. That is the be all and end all. The question to ask is "how much profit?'

2. School play grounds. I would never agree to a designated play ground area being used as a car park. A reciope for disaster. Beside the fact that kids and cars don't mix there's also the question of appropriate surfaces.

3. Parents can, and should, be part of the management of any school. Do you have no PTA or the like. If not, why not?. Parental input is particularly important for the private sector as it helps to keep the "customer" happy.

4. Home schooling can be very good but better still is "cooperative home schooling" where a few families get together and organise themselves into small groups, share their skills and experience ( and work load).

That's it for now. I'd be interested in Thaiclans views on the points I'vew raised given his experience in the field.

pip pip

geoff

Corrections:

It was Pommy61 who resuscitated this thread.

Judging by the annual school ratings published in the English newspapers - segregation is a good thing. The top ten schools are usually single sex schools - sometimes the top twenty.

I went to an all-boys school and my daughter went to St Helens, Northwood - one of the top ten most years, and an all-girls school.

The only harm it did me was that I spent the next fifty years playing rugby rather than getting on with making money or digging an allotment.

But I have had many friends in Christian Brothers schools, where a leavening of female presence may have ameliorated the regimen.

I was looking at those tables. In terms of academic achievements the single sex schools dominate.

Fully co-ed schools only just get represented in the top 50 ( senior schools and prep ). About 10% ?

I have a link here giving the tables......not sure if its allowed.

http://www.best-schools.co.uk/best-schools.aspx

The famous quote "lies, dam_n lies and statistics" comes to mind here!

More statistics. This one is from The Times.

The previous table was for independant schools. This article from the Times relates to both private and government schools.

Article from 10 January 2008.

First paragraph " The success of single sex education is evident in the league table of comprehensive schools. "

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle3162232.ece

Edited by stevemiddie

• 3 weeks later...
As a graduate of GIS Rayong, i can tell you 1st hand that REPS has a good and friendly staff.. With equipments up with the standards of GIS (Sometimes better :o ) e.g. Sporting equipment for young kids.. :D

Also, REPS will be moving soon of what ive heard.. Moving to a NEW building behind the basketball court of GIS.. :D

My Son goes to Best, and the problem I have is Reps is just too far away. Even though they have a school bus that comes to Pattaya two and three hrs a day on the schoo bus is just too much, and even if I drove him it's too far awa from Pattaya.

I'm going to see what happens at Best next term, my wife doesn't want to make any moves mid year. The way things are going, I can see Best losing lots of students at the beginning of the next school year.

Barry

I know that the REPSs school bus drop kids at Tesco Lotus Pattaya on Sukumvit rd, at 4.10pm (The school bus departs from REPS.at 3.30pm) anyway you can pick him up at Tesco Lotus or an other place where is more convenience for you and your kid

The famous quote "lies, dam_n lies and statistics" comes to mind here!

More statistics. This one is from The Times.

The previous table was for independant schools. This article from the Times relates to both private and government schools.

Article from 10 January 2008.

First paragraph " The success of single sex education is evident in the league table of comprehensive schools. "

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle3162232.ece

Ha ha ha ha - WGSG heads the list. I went to the Boys school. The only connection between the two schools in my day was the annual Founders Day social. We went to church separately, but were allowed to mix (under strict supervision) for an hour or two later.

For the other 364 days of the year the girls were not allowed to be seen with all us rough boys.

The two schools were about a mile apart, but if the then headmistress had had her way they would have been on different planets.

I heard that Assumtion School is just only mini English Program, isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm moving my Thai step-daughter to BEST this coming school year. I've personally met the farang teachers at BEST, REP and Wutichot. Just talking with them I'd say they're all about on the same level academically and intellectually. No idea if they're creative and able to motivate children. Would probably agree that parking and sport facilities are better at REP and Wutichot. I think REP probably has more or a majority of foreigner female teachers than the others.

This will be the 3rd school my step-daughter has attended since we came back to Thailand after being in Japan for 3 years. And I'm pretty sure BEST will at least be a step up over the other two schools she has attended here in Phichit and Rayong. Thai schools. Here English is already near perfect with the bland accent free northerner Yank tone. This is the last stop ...otherwise I'll send here to Pattaya International school earlier than planned.

Not worried about some of the concerns expressed here because I keep her busy with sports and Kumon outside school hours. And a bought the curriculum texts to teach her the minimum basic skills required for the 4th, 5th and 6th grade before moving to Thailand.