What The hel_l !

kankaroo

You can tell I have nothing better to do this evening. Not a major gripe just always wondered why this word always appears as he_l ?

I mean who would it offend ?

(SOURCE : WEBSTER DICTIONARY)

Main Entry: hel_l

Pronunciation: 'hel

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old English helan to conceal, Old High German helan, Latin celare, Greek kalyptein

1 a (1) : a nether world in which the dead continue to exist : HADES (2) : the nether realm of the devil and the demons in which the damned suffer everlasting punishment -- often used in curses <go to hel_l> or as a generalized term of abuse <the hel_l with it> b Christian Science : ERROR 2b, : SIN

2 a : a place or state of misery, torment, or wickedness <war is hel_l -- W. T. Sherman> b : a place or state of turmoil or destruction <all hel_l broke loose> c : a severe scolding; also : FLAK, GRIEF <gave me hel_l for coming in late> d : unrestrained fun or sportiveness <the kids were full of hel_l> -- often used in the phrase for the hel_l of it especially to suggest action on impulse or without a serious motive <decided to go for the hel_l of it> e : an extremely unpleasant and often inescapable situation <rush-hour hel_l>

3 archaic : a tailor's receptacle

4 -- used as an interjection <hel_l, I don't know!> or as an intensive <hurts like hel_l> <funny as hel_l> -- often used in the phrase hel_l of a <it was one hel_l of a good fight> or hel_l out of <scared the hel_l out of him> or with the or in <moved way the hel_l up north> <what in hel_l is wrong, now?>

- from hel_l : being the worst or most dreadful of its kind

- hel_l on : very hard on or destructive to <the constant traveling is hel_l on your digestive system>

- hel_l or high water : difficulties of whatever kind or size <will stand by her convictions come hel_l or high water>

- hel_l to pay : dire consequences <if he's late there'll be hel_l to pay>

- what the hel_l -- used interjectionally to express a lack of concern about consequences or risks <it might cost him half his estate...but what the hel_l -- N. W. Aldrich b1935>

very curious,

kankaroo :o

WHOA ! I don't know too much about Hebrew lexicons and I am not religious in any way at all. Just wondering why such an inoffensive everyday word like this would be banned from use in any forum. I mean it is really just a figure of speech. Today was hot as he** etc.

The main reason I have been a member of this forum for years now is because it does not allow itself to be dragged into the gutter like many others where anything goes and can be said, which usually always ends up in playground fight talk etc :o Also intelligent debates and conversations are to be had here.

But why the ban of this word. I couldn't care less but am just intrigued why ?

Cheers,

Kankaroo

We don't use that word because someone's dead granny told them that it is a bad word and we are keeping that rich tradition of proper speech alive. How many times a day do people censor themselves because of what someone's dead granny knew to be proper?

Obey, don't think.

We don't use that word because someone's dead granny told them that it is a bad word and we are keeping that rich tradition of proper speech alive. How many times a day do people censor themselves because of what someone's dead granny knew to be proper?

Obey, don't think.

heaven or hel_l ,its in the bible :o

You can tell I have nothing better to do this evening. Not a major gripe just always wondered why this word always appears as he_l ?

I mean who would it offend ?

(SOURCE : WEBSTER DICTIONARY)

Main Entry: hel_l

Pronunciation: 'hel

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old English helan to conceal, Old High German helan, Latin celare, Greek kalyptein

1 a (1) : a nether world in which the dead continue to exist : HADES (2) : the nether realm of the devil and the demons in which the damned suffer everlasting punishment -- often used in curses <go to hel_l> or as a generalized term of abuse <the hel_l with it> b Christian Science : ERROR 2b, : SIN

2 a : a place or state of misery, torment, or wickedness <war is hel_l -- W. T. Sherman> b : a place or state of turmoil or destruction <all hel_l broke loose> c : a severe scolding; also : FLAK, GRIEF <gave me hel_l for coming in late> d : unrestrained fun or sportiveness <the kids were full of hel_l> -- often used in the phrase for the hel_l of it especially to suggest action on impulse or without a serious motive <decided to go for the hel_l of it> e : an extremely unpleasant and often inescapable situation <rush-hour hel_l>

3 archaic : a tailor's receptacle

4 -- used as an interjection <hel_l, I don't know!> or as an intensive <hurts like hel_l> <funny as hel_l> -- often used in the phrase hel_l of a <it was one hel_l of a good fight> or hel_l out of <scared the hel_l out of him> or with the or in <moved way the hel_l up north> <what in hel_l is wrong, now?>

- from hel_l : being the worst or most dreadful of its kind

- hel_l on : very hard on or destructive to <the constant traveling is hel_l on your digestive system>

- hel_l or high water : difficulties of whatever kind or size <will stand by her convictions come hel_l or high water>

- hel_l to pay : dire consequences <if he's late there'll be hel_l to pay>

- what the hel_l -- used interjectionally to express a lack of concern about consequences or risks <it might cost him half his estate...but what the hel_l -- N. W. Aldrich b1935>

very curious,

kankaroo :o

When i was a kid we got told off for saying blimey ! &lt;deleted&gt; knows why ! :D

Fortunately, this is not a religious forum, otherwise we would indeed have a problem not being able to use the common word for the inferno. I am reminded of a women’s health forum that censored the word “breast”. Women found it a bit cumbersome to discuss breast cancer issues.

--

Maestro

I think it has something to do with the Google ranking algorithm. The more "bad" words Google finds on a web site, the lower the Google ranking.

Correct. 5 points. Some profanity words are so called "stop words", in regards to search engines and ad servers, and they are blocked by our forum software.

Thaivisa has a better chance to survive on the interweb with a minimum of offending stop words.

Thanks for your understanding. :o

Have had some evidence in the past that google "go words" also exist. charity and directory being a couple of past examples.

If that is the case - charity - then I think we should - directory - do all we can - charity, directory - to help our forum. :D

Charity.

Directory.

:o

I imagine that if "H.E.L.L" (the word) was permitted here, and your average joe did a google search for this word, TV might come up on top?

:o

To the guys questioning this, it's alright. Have a drink. Take a deep breath. You will get used to it.

Failing that, have a gander at post number 9 on this.

Check the user avatar and the violin, then take a good look at the username.

Made me smile.

I think it has something to do with the Google ranking algorithm. The more "bad" words Google finds on a web site, the lower the Google ranking.

Correct. 5 points. Some profanity words are so called "stop words", in regards to search engines and ad servers, and they are blocked by our forum software.

Thaivisa has a better chance to survive on the interweb with a minimum of offending stop words.

Thanks for your understanding. :o

Ahhh interesting. I knew there had to be a reason, and now that I have found it my life shall be complete :D

PS: CHARITY

:D