Do I Need Motorbike Insurance

pazza

Hi guys

I hope you can help with my questions.

I am coming over to Thailand (Nong Khai) in December, for two months, I will be driving my girlfriends motorbike while I am there, My Question’s are:

Do I need insurance, if yes,

Where would I get it (post office, police station ) ??? :o

Thanks in anticipation,

Steve :D:D:D

Hi guys

I am coming over to Thailand (Nong Khai) in December, for two months, I will be driving my girlfriends motorbike while I am there, My Question's are:

Thanks in anticipation,

Appears a little odd you would ask this on Thaivisa Forum.......... Why not email Thaivisa Insurance ??

No idea with a bike, but on a car it is the car that is insured

Hi guys

I am coming over to Thailand (Nong Khai) in December, for two months, I will be driving my girlfriends motorbike while I am there, My Question's are:

Where would I get it (post office, police station ) ??? :D

Thanks in anticipation,

Steve :bah::D:o

Appears a little odd you would ask this on Thaivisa Forum.......... Why not email Thaivisa Insurance ??

Hi Ignis,

1) Why odd?? Thaivisa is the fount of Knowledge for all things Thai :o

2) never thought of asking them :D

3) not going to Thailand till December so was just checking really, (and I know the rules could change between now and December TIT)

4) Thanks Ignis for the speedy reply (I am talking seconds) :D

Steve ;):bah::D

Hi guys

Thanks in anticipation,

Maybe like me he has already mailed Thaivisa insurance and like me after 2weeks still no reply. I asked for a quote on my speedboat and nothing.

As for needing insurance the inssurance is on the motorbike/car not the person. It would be wise though to make sure that your travel insurance covers riding a motorbike. And remember wear a helmet!!!! :D

Hi guys

Thanks in anticipation,

Maybe like me he has already mailed Thaivisa insurance and like me after 2weeks still no reply. I asked for a quote on my speedboat and nothing.

As for needing insurance the inssurance is on the motorbike/car not the person. It would be wise though to make sure that your travel insurance covers riding a motorbike. And remember wear a helmet!!!! :D

I have emailed them twice... 1st reply next day, 2nd quote same day.

HD, Hows it hanging? Must just be me then with the insurance. :o The Rockets going good. The best smiles for miles bike I've evr had. Clocked up over 10,00km already, averaging around 1000 a week. Thinking of riding down to Sepang for the Moto GP. :D I'll try insurance again.

HD, Hows it hanging? Must just be me then with the insurance. :o The Rockets going good. The best smiles for miles bike I've evr had. Clocked up over 10,00km already, averaging around 1000 a week. Thinking of riding down to Sepang for the Moto GP. :D I'll try insurance again.

H2oDunc

As for needing insurance the inssurance is on the motorbike/car not the person. It would be wise though to make sure that your travel insurance covers riding a motorbike. And remember wear a helmet!!!!

First may we say 'thank you' for pointing out to all that insurance should not be 'optional' and to always wear a helmet - good advice and everyone should take note.

Speed boat - that sounds interesting. However we must apologise and admit we can find no trace of your email, may we ask you let us know the date you sent it and maybe resend ?

Hi guys

Thanks in anticipation,

Steve, if your girlfriend's motorbike is registered, she already has the Compulsory Coverage. Compulsory Coverage pays up to 50,000 baht per person for third party injury and about 100,000 baht per person for third party death or dismemberment. It doesn't cover injury to you. You can cover that by purchasing inbound travel insurance in Thailand.

If you want more 3rd party Voluntary Coverage, your girlfriend will have to buy it on the motorbike, not on you. That is purchased for a year at a time. Legally, you are supposed to have a motorcycle license also. But...(?). If you have a motorcycle license from your home country, that is ok.

Hi guys

Thanks in anticipation,

Steve, if your girlfriend's motorbike is registered, she already has the Compulsory Coverage. Compulsory Coverage pays up to 50,000 baht per person for third party injury and about 100,000 baht per person for third party death or dismemberment. It doesn't cover injury to you. You can cover that by purchasing inbound travel insurance in Thailand.

If you want more 3rd party Voluntary Coverage, your girlfriend will have to buy it on the motorbike, not on you. That is purchased for a year at a time. Legally, you are supposed to have a motorcycle license also. But...(?). If you have a motorcycle license from your home country, that is ok.

Thanks Tony and all the rest of you guys

Steve :bah::D:bah:

Hi guys

Thanks in anticipation,

you can be insured to the hilt ,but as said ,no thai license ,no payout ..........

Hi guys

Thanks in anticipation,

you can be insured to the hilt ,but as said ,no thai license ,no payout ..........

I was assuming my driving licence and a International driving permit would suffice, am I wrong ???

Thanks

I was assuming my driving licence and a International driving permit would suffice, am I wrong ???

Thanks

Steve :D:o:D

Steve,

Check your travel insurance... All policies issued in Australia (not 100% where you would get yours) state that you are not covered if you don't have a motorbike license issued in Australia, regardless of whether or not you need one in the country you are in.

For the insurance issued in Australia that I use the pre-amble policy states that it excludes "motorcycling without a proper licence", with wording later in the conditions;

We will not pay a claim that arises directly or indirectly because of any of the following:

1. A member of the traveling party:

(d) rides a motor cycle in excess of 100 cc (except as a pillion passenger)without a licence that is valid in your country of residence.

The NRMA Travel insurance Product Disclosure Statement states that;

We will not pay claims for, or which are directly or

indirectly caused by:

Motorcycling, unless the driver has a current motorcycle licence. This applies even if the driver is not required to hold a motorcycle licence because the driver has a motor vehicle licence, or a motorcycle licence is not required by law.

If you don't have a moto licence at home (it would be noted on your IDP when you get it if you do), it would be worthwhile either getting the licence, or checking where you get your insurance if you are covered...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Hi guys

Thanks in anticipation,

Thanks

No, you are right. If your license is a motorcycle license.

Hi guys

Thanks in anticipation,

Thanks

I must admit I only have a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) certificate for motorcycle and was hoping this would suffice am I wrong (batting 100% at the moment)

Steve

I must admit I only have a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) certificate for motorcycle and was hoping this would suffice am I wrong (batting 100% at the moment)

If you get your IDP in the UK, it will probably have your licence classes written on the IDP. You are also supposed to carry your UK licence with you, but,

The chances of a cop being able to read and interpret either for a 'traffic stop' are very very slim...

The chances of a cop identifying your eligibility to ride from those docs, and noting it in an accident report are also very slim... so chances are you Thai insurance would pay out for damages to the third party...

I think that if you buy travel insurance in the UK, and need to claim on it because of an accident, your chances of being caught out are 50/50...

I guess whether you choose to take the risk is up to you... remember, you are most likely going to be found 'at fault' in any accident...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Hi guys

Thanks in anticipation,

Thanks

Steve

Steve, You have gone beyond me, now. I have absolutely no idea what a CBT does for you in your country. Does it take the place of a license or does qualify you for the license. If the latter, get the license.

Going back to your earlier question about where to go in Thailand: You can go to the Land Transportation office and try to apply for your own annual renewable license. But, I'm a bit hazy on the qualifications for that, since I am long term resident and keep renewing every 5 years.

Hi guys

Thanks in anticipation,

Steve :D:D:bah:

Thanks

Steve :bah::D:o

Steve

Steve, You have gone beyond me, now. I have absolutely no idea what a CBT does for you in your country. Does it take the place of a license or does qualify you for the license. If the latter, get the license.

Going back to your earlier question about where to go in Thailand: You can go to the Land Transportation office and try to apply for your own annual renewable license. But, I'm a bit hazy on the qualifications for that, since I am long term resident and keep renewing every 5 years.

Hi Tony (and Thanks Daewoo)

by way of a brief explanation, I believe (in the UK) I am allowed to ride a moped/motorcycle up to 50cc (on my driving licence) the CBT allowes me to ride up to a 125cc with the CBT certificate, this lasts for two years when I have to re -sit the CBT or pass a full licence allowing me to ride any motorcycle. (the CBT does not allow me to have pillion passengers).

It looks like Daewoo's way (I have done this before but I wanted to be legal if possible) or hire a car ???

Thanks for the input guys see you in 11 weeks

Steve ;):D:D