Looking For A Math Tutor

cmsoulbrother

I'm looking for a math tutor, as now that my niece is getting into higher level maths (grade 7!!!) I'm having trouble keeping up with her...seriously, it's embarrassing.

She has some real problems with the fundamentals, and I want to find someone good who could come to my place 2-3 times a week for an hour or so, and work with her starting from the ground up. I'd ideally like to start a long term commitment to this, as she's not going to learn it all overnight.

I'd prefer someone with teaching experience, and again I'd prefer to have it done at my place (we've tried the tutor school route, and I wasn't too impressed). If anyone knows someone who is an experienced teacher and does this kind of thing, I'd love to hear about it.

I also have no idea how much this kind of private tutoring should cost...any ideas?

Thanks,

John

I'm looking for a math tutor, as now that my niece is getting into higher level maths (grade 7!!!) I'm having trouble keeping up with her...seriously, it's embarrassing.

She has some real problems with the fundamentals, and I want to find someone good who could come to my place 2-3 times a week for an hour or so, and work with her starting from the ground up. I'd ideally like to start a long term commitment to this, as she's not going to learn it all overnight.

I'd prefer someone with teaching experience, and again I'd prefer to have it done at my place (we've tried the tutor school route, and I wasn't too impressed). If anyone knows someone who is an experienced teacher and does this kind of thing, I'd love to hear about it.

I also have no idea how much this kind of private tutoring should cost...any ideas?

Thanks,

John

A friend of mine living here in CM is a retired US High school math teacher. 25 years of experience. He's in the states until the end of this week, but I'll pass on your message. He enjoys teaching, has the time and the desire to help people, and is a generally all around nice guy!

She's a seventh grader, apparently matayom 1. When I taught that, it had no calculus, set theory, or trig. In the standard Thai curriculum, we covered only a tiny bit of geometry (plane, angle names, measuring), lowest common denominator, adding and multiplying mixed fractions, intro to the decimal system, estimating and rounding, intro to the most basic algebra, and exponents (but not roots), etc. It's only high level if you don't remember junior high math. Even if she's in an international school program, she's probably at that level.

She's a seventh grader, apparently matayom 1. When I taught that, it had no calculus, set theory, or trig. In the standard Thai curriculum, we covered only a tiny bit of geometry (plane, angle names, measuring), lowest common denominator, adding and multiplying mixed fractions, intro to the decimal system, estimating and rounding, intro to the most basic algebra, and exponents (but not roots), etc. It's only high level if you don't remember junior high math. Even if she's in an international school program, she's probably at that level.

I'll do it.

Hi,

I'm sorry, I should have made something clear from the outset.

My niece is Thai, and although she is going to an English school, I think she needs math instruction in Thai. Part of the problem I have is that it is quite difficult to explain mathematical concepts in a second language (at least to me it is!) and I also feel that this is part of the reason why she is struggling so much with the subject.

Again, I'm sorry to anyone who made an effort on my behalf without my having given a clear representation of my needs.

Thanks,

John

You might be better to check through her school for a teacher, as some of the schools have slightly different ways or order of teaching things.

It would probably be beneficial to have someone teach her, that is familiar with her syllabus.

• 2 months later...