Do You Need An International License To Rent In Thailand?

lucidwave

Some car renters will rent you a car if you just hold a USA driver's licence. However, you need an International Driver's Licence to drive any motor vehicle on a road outside your home country.

If you have an accident and damage your hire vehicle, another vehicle or worse - injure a person - any insurance you take out with the hire car is not valid and will not usually pay if you do not have an International Licence.

You could be bankrupted for life! Spend the money (about $US25) and get an International Driver's Licence before you come to Thailand - if you intend to drive on the road here. Or - better still - hire a driver for around 200 baht ($US5.88) a day. Then you can relax and enjoy your holiday.

Peter

Some car renters will rent you a car if you just hold a USA driver's licence. However, you need an International Driver's Licence to drive any motor vehicle on a road outside your home country.

If you have an accident and damage your hire vehicle, another vehicle or worse - injure a person - any insurance you take out with the hire car is not valid and will not usually pay if you do not have an International Licence.

You could be bankrupted for life! Spend the money (about $US25) and get an International Driver's Licence before you come to Thailand - if you intend to drive on the road here. Or - better still - hire a driver for around 200 baht ($US5.88) a day. Then you can relax and enjoy your holiday.

Peter

The U.S. AAA IDP is $15, I get a new one every year even tho I have a Thai license.  Keep the current IDP in my pocket, an expired on on the visor to hand over to a copy if stopped.  It seems to confuse them and I'm waved on.  Only one guy, at the toll booth at the end of the Don Muang Tollway has noticed that I'd given him an exipred IDP, apologized, handed over the current one which he looked at and waved me on my merry way.

Mac

Peter

Where can you hire a driver for B200/day?

Cheers

Peter

Where can you hire a driver for B200/day?

Cheers

Right on, I payt baht 500 if the wife wants to go out and take the van.  Her regular driver is a taxi driver so this is to offset his "loss" of income.  Good driver, tho, I'm not even scared when he's at the wheel and I'm Singha soaked in the back.

Mac