Macau To Hk Ferry

Briggsy

Hiya briggsy,

Sorry off topic but I was wondering if you could tell me what the Oasis flight to London was like? I really fancy doing this route on the way home early next year. Seems like a fun way to get home and check out some places on the way!

I will have the misses with me and don't thinks she'll be very happy with cramped Airasia style seats for 13+ hours (don't really think my legs could handle it either!).

Thanks in advance

I just wrote a long reply to this and my internet went down so I'll try again.

It was interesting to take this route and I'm glad I did it because I like to see places I haven't seen before and I like to try different travel routes.

However I couldn't really recommend it to others particularly Thais who prefer to travel in comfort and convenience.

Both (HK to London and London to HK) Oasis flights were completely full in economy class. The flight attendants looked rushed off their feet. They didn't hang around very long and if you weren't quick you missed them. They forgot to dish out numerous things even though they had them and I tended not to ask in an attack of Britishness. In particular they ran out of or forgot to hand out the earphones so I could only watch the videos on the way there. And on the way back the control was broken so I had no video, audio or light.

The seats reclined only a few degrees.

Drinks (in economy) were limited to water and the occasional fruit juice. Anything else, for example Coke or alcoholic drinks, had to be paid for, I believe. Except for one bellicose English man who argued about not getting a seat with the rest of his group and received some booze as a gratuity to shut him up.

Still, what can you expect for such a cheap price?

The flights were on time and took just under 12 hours, I think.

I think that's about all I can say, it's a seat on a plane.

Hope this helps.

Can it really be a good way to get to the UK when you can go with Etihad for Bt20k plus taxes ?

If you want to go to HK when in the region then do so.

By the same accord, fly not fly Cathay Pacific via HK and stop off ?

I'll be the first one for the short haul cheapo airline with safe planes (unlike Nok Air) but for long haul, comfort really has to be priced in don't you think ?

What I ended up paying in Hong Kong.

Actual cost of Macau Airport to HK Airport.

Bus AP1 3.30 HK$

Ferry 140 HK$

Bus A21 33 HK$

Total 176.30 HK$ = 775 Baht

Actual cost of HK Airport to Macau Airport

Bus E11 14 HK$

Underground 5.60 HK$

Ferry 172 HK$

Bus AP1 3.30 HK$

Total 194.90 HK$ = 857 Baht

The difference in ferry price is principally due to travelling to Macau at night which is pricier, I believe.

Accommodation in Hong Kong.

3 nights @ 160 HK$ = 480 HK$ = 2112 Baht.

This gets you a very small room with air con and a bathroom.

Money changing

Thai Baht to HK$ in Thailand cost around 2.2%

Thai Baht to US$ in Thailand then US$ to HK$ in Hong Kong cost around 1.5%

Using Thai ATM card in Hong Kong cost around 3.8% + 100 Baht charge per time.

It can be seen that the convenience of the ATM card is somewhat negated by the extra cost. It is also worth noting that the rates of money changers and banks in Hong Kong can vary greatly even when they are next door to one another so it's worth shopping around.

Hope this helps somebody.

interesting...... I was in HK too lately. did u take pictures of those infamous mansions ? I really would be interested to know how those rooms look like......

why did u fly via Macau ? if u booked a return-flight anyway, it would have probably cheaper using HONGKONG EXPRESS and save the money from/to Macau.....

its a shame that HK still does not have those superb Chinese budget-hotel-chains such as homeinn or 7daysinn, where u can get a great room (with free WIFI and 100 tv-channels or so) for less than 1000 Baht even in downtown Shanghai, beijing or Guangzhou....

interesting...... I was in HK too lately. did u take pictures of those infamous mansions ? I really would be interested to know how those rooms look like......

why did u fly via Macau ? if u booked a return-flight anyway, it would have probably cheaper using HONGKONG EXPRESS and save the money from/to Macau.....

its a shame that HK still does not have those superb Chinese budget-hotel-chains such as homeinn or 7daysinn, where u can get a great room (with free WIFI and 100 tv-channels or so) for less than 1000 Baht even in downtown Shanghai, beijing or Guangzhou....

Photos, I have. I'll post them when I have more time.

I flew via Macau because the total price of a return flight with Air Asia was 5969 Baht.

I don't know what Hong Kong Express is.

Photos, I have. I'll post them when I have more time.

I flew via Macau because the total price of a return flight with Air Asia was 5969 Baht.

I don't know what Hong Kong Express is.

HONGKONG EXPRESS is a HKG-based airline which offers return-flights to international destinations, including BKK, at very competitive prices, but can only booked through agents. surprisingly, even many travel-agents in BKK dont know them.

it certainly would have not been more expensive (and less hassle) flying HONGKONG EXPRESS from HKG airport to BKK.

I dont know the reason why they still dont offer online-booking directly on their website, I only can assume they do this because they wanna expand their business through being a loyal partner of the local travel agents, which makes sense in a way..... so they avoid to be just another "me-too" - company in the huge market of budget airlines....

HONGKONG EXPRESS is a HKG-based airline which offers return-flights to international destinations, including BKK, at very competitive prices, but can only booked through agents. surprisingly, even many travel-agents in BKK dont know them.

it certainly would have not been more expensive (and less hassle) flying HONGKONG EXPRESS from HKG airport to BKK.

I dont know the reason why they still dont offer online-booking directly on their website, I only can assume they do this because they wanna expand their business through being a loyal partner of the local travel agents, which makes sense in a way..... so they avoid to be just another "me-too" - company in the huge market of budget airlines....

I've never heard of them. Thanks for letting me know. Maybe next time.

Here's the photies as promised.

There are 2 inside the cubicle-like room and 2 of the tower block itself. This is Mirador Mansion which is very close to Chungking Mansion and is supposedly a slightly upmarket version of it. The block has 16 floors, I think, and is shaped as a court so it has four sides with a "hole" in the middle. Apart from many guesthouses, I also saw other types of business activity being conducted in the tower block, namely trading companies, small-scale garment factories, internet cafes and hookers patrolling the corridors.

post-32772-1193296467_thumb.jpg

post-32772-1193296514_thumb.jpg

post-32772-1193296532_thumb.jpg

post-32772-1193296550_thumb.jpg

Edited by Briggsy

Here's the photies as promised.

There are 2 inside the cubicle-like room and 2 of the tower block itself. This is Mirador Mansion which is very close to Chungking Mansion and is supposedly a slightly upmarket version of it. The block has 16 floors, I think, and is shaped as a court so it has four sides with a "hole" in the middle. Apart from many guesthouses, I also saw other types of business activity being conducted in the tower block, namely trading companies, small-scale garment factories, internet cafes and hookers patrolling the corridors.

post-32772-1193296467_thumb.jpg

post-32772-1193296514_thumb.jpg

post-32772-1193296532_thumb.jpg

post-32772-1193296550_thumb.jpg

thanks BRIGGSY-BIRD...... it looks....ermmmmmm....... "interesting" ...... and tiny indeed.....

me stayed at the Ibis North Point just next to a subway station, booked directly through Accor Asia, small but very decent room on the 21st floor, 440 HKG$...... maybe worth the extra money..... but who knows, maybe one day the MANSIONS swallow me too :o