Thailand Honored For Child Vaccine Works

george

Thailand honored for child vaccine works

BANGKOK: -- Thailand is among 13 countries that have been successful this year in providing necessary vaccines and preventing disease among children.

Dr Prat Boonyawongvirot, permanent secretary for Public Health, Sunday said his ministry had received notification from World Health Organisation (WHO) that the UN agency would award a certificate to Thailand for achievement in giving necessary vaccines to children.

The vaccination can reduce child fatalities.

-- The Nation 2007-09-23

...all of which I pay for myself for my kid. So how exactly is the country bringing them to the people?

The intent of the certificate is to give recognition for a job well done. Thailand has made excellent progress in child immunizations. This certificate acknowledges the resounding success of the primary vaccine program that is recognized as one of the best in the world. There is now an almost 95% coverage of children age 1 and that have received immunization for DPT, polio, BCG and HepB. http://www.who.int/vaccines/globalsummary/...C='tha'

The results are demonstrated by a sharp reduction of these illnesses. The virtual elimination of childhood polio speaks volumes about the MOPH's work and this award should be a source of pride for all Thais.

Immunization is provided free of charge to those children that are at high risk. The government with assistance from WHO and NGOs provides 100% funding for the distribution of early childhood vaccinations. No child at risk or family in need is denied access to a vaccine. The government has mobile vaccination clinics that supplement those provided within local communities.

If you paid for your child's vaccinations, perhaps you did not avail yourself of the free vaccination clinics or you were unaware of the availability. Many Thais cannot afford vaccinations and the emphasis is on providing the vaccinations at no cost to those people. I do not think you will find any public health officials, both Thai and non Thai, overly concerned by your small financial expenditure when the target of the free vaccination program is the population segment that is at the subsistence level.

Well, perhaps they have used compulsory licensing and are now taking credit for this!!

No. The vaccines have been around for some time and are not expensive. The cost of many vaccines is covered by WHO, the US & Canadian governments, public charities (e,g, Gates Foundation), national governments and public service organizations. For example Rotary International has raised a lot of money for polio eradication in India.

In today's world we often forget that there are those who have dedicated their lives for our benefit. The success of Thailand's polio program is in keeping with the example set by Dr. Sabin. From humble peasant origins he came, fleeing jewish pogroms in Russia to the USA where he became a doctor. During his WW II military service he came up with effective vaccines for dengue fever and encephalitis, which he also shared with us.

A scientist who is also a human being cannot rest

while knowledge which might reduce suffering rests on the shelf.” –Dr. Albert B. Sabin

Are you saying that all the 'optional but somewhat expensive' vaccines, above the basic ones, offered are given for free if you say you cannot pay for them?

i paid for my daughter ,no one told me it was free ,first time i;ve heard of this......

Well, he hasn't reached that age yet. But the first years vaccines will still rake up to close to 30K.

I do not dispute your cost, and have a hunch I know why you paid so much.

If we look at the WHO schedule used in Thailand for early childhood; BCG , DTwP , DtwPHep, HepB JapEnc, Measles, MMR, OPV, Td there are approx. 22 dosings. The cost of the vacines to the government health service is approx. B17,000. If it is sourced through the private sector (read for profit), is significantly higher.

The gov't of Thailand procures it's mandatory vaccines under the WHO pricing protocols. The price is usually approximate to the US CDC public service cost. The price list is here; http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/vfc/c...-price-list.htm

As you can see from the cost list, the costs to public entities are much less than to private health providers.

In Thailand, childrens vaccines are administered at school, at local government and NGO clinics and during well publicized NID campaigns (National Innoculation Days). Community service groups such as the Rotary club often promote NID in their communities.

If you inquire at your local Public Health Office, you will be directed to a free or subsidized provider. Unfortunately, I do think that a farang would be directed enthusiastically as the assumption (perhaps wrongly) is that a farang can afford the private health care cost and shouldn't be using the free system. If your wife is Thai, it might be best if she inquires.

I am sorry that you paid so much for your child's vaccines. At least you have the knowledge that you were a responsible parent and did right by your kid. I know that doesn't reimburse you for your expense, but I hope it offers a possible explanation.

Well, he hasn't reached that age yet. But the first years vaccines will still rake up to close to 30K.

My daughter's 14 now and I can't remember if or what we paid. But if anything, it was nothing more than a nominal fee. 30K :o , it definitely was not. Vaccines administered at school were all free.