Thais Making English Words Their Own

realthaideal

Looking for any one else with a story of a word, or just a word that gets pronounced the Thai way and gives 'em a kick in the pants whenever they hear it.

I've got a couple examples:

Just last month or so I was so happy to go see Die Hard 4 over at Major with my ex-tgf who is a total But Willit fan. I love the way she says it. COmes out more like 'Boot Wi-leet!' First time she said it a couple yrs back it took me a good five minutes to catch on to what the he77 she was talking about.

And when I first came here two of the hottest movies were "Lot" and "Helly." Of course you can figure out "Lot" by its full name "Lot ov da-Ring." And everyone knows Helly Pot-ter! If only I were a good enough speller to try to type them in Thai that would be sweet.

Anyway, I've got more, but I'd love to hear more that others have picked up in daily life.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I get pretty tired of people speaking English who ruins our Swedish/Scandinavian words like "smörgåsbord", "ombudsman", "slalom", "window" (vindue), "sister" (syster), egg "ägg" and so forth.

Well, maybe the pronounciation of names should be a lot better, but words like the Internet and other contemporary phenomens will be incorporated into other languages and get a, for the new language, more natural pronounciation.

On the other side of the enchalada, I had a Mexican girlfriend who told me she liked Miguel Haaksun.

She kept repeating it, and it took me a few turns of the synapses to realize she was talking about Michael Jackson.

In California, there was a Welshman who owned a bar where my R&R band was playing. At one fully crowded dance concert, he called out from across the room, " Play some Buh-ee Haw-ee ! " He yelled it several times over the crowd, but no one understood what he was saying until he said 'Play Waive On!' (Rave On). Then we realized he was trying to say Buddy Holly.

I literally wrote the book on English words adapted in to the Thai language, but I'm not allowed to plug the book right here. But you could look it up online. Hint: google 'Thai words taken from English.' and see what comes up.

Keeping strictly to the topic: Thais making English words their own, mosquitos were driving me crazy in June this year in Issan. I asked my partner: 'What is the Thai word for Baygon (insect spray)?' His answer: 'Baygon.' Likewise almost every Thai seems to know ATM, Internet, whisky, beer, comic (book), hospital and quite a few others.

Peter

Looking for any one else with a story of a word, or just a word that gets pronounced the Thai way and gives 'em a kick in the pants whenever they hear it.

That's pretty intolerant, especially since you call yourself "realthaideal."

No doubt real Thai people are very tolerant of foreigner mispronunciations of their language.

Give 'em a break: there are some English sounds that don't exist in Thai. There are also a lot of native English-speakers who can't be understood by other native English-speakers, let alone other people - truth be told.

To Brahmburgers: are you sure the Mexican girl didn't say "Yaaksun" instead of "Haaksun"? I'm a compatriot, and can assure you that most people say it that way if they can't pronounce the "J" at the beginning of a name. (But if she was a Chicana, it might be a different story.)

Cheers.

No worries mate, it’s all in good fun!

Even after being married to my Thai wife for 6 years, I still have problems with her English, and she with my Thai. Some conversations go like this:

One party makes a statement in their non-native language.

Other party goes “Huh?”

Statement repeated

Other party goes” Huh?.....Oooooohhhh!” and breaks out laughing. Then the pronunciation is corrected by the native speaking party and we move on in the conversation.

This also happens with my other Thai relatives and friends.

My favorite mis-pronunciation from my wife and her family is still “Baa baa yaa saa lat”. I ate this for months with out any idea what it was made from, until one morning someone brought ripe papaya for breakfast. One of my sister in laws sees it and says “Ahhh, baa baa yaa!”

For other places, I always enjoy it when I hear “Have a nice fright!” while boarding an airplane in Narita.

For lots of English bastardizations, see www.engrish.com

Edited by JaiDamJungLoei

Even after being married to my Thai wife for 6 years, I still have problems with her English, and she with my Thai. Some conversations go like this:

Other party goes “Huh?”

Statement repeated

Other party goes” Huh?.....Oooooohhhh!” and breaks out laughing. Then the pronunciation is corrected by the native speaking party and we move on in the conversation.

My favorite mis-pronunciation from my wife and her family is still “Baa baa yaa saa lat”. I ate this for months with out any idea what it was made from, until one morning someone brought ripe papaya for breakfast. One of my sister in laws sees it and says “Ahhh, baa baa yaa!”

For other places, I always enjoy it when I hear “Have a nice fright!” while boarding an airplane in Narita.

Blackheart, thanks for the tip on engrish.com, i just wasted a half hour there and had my first laugh of the day!

Other party goes “Huh?”

Statement repeated

Blackheart, thanks for the tip on engrish.com, i just wasted a half hour there and had my first laugh of the day!

It has been my misfortune to have overheard many big, fat blowhard farangs mispronounce Thai words in the most egregious ways - completely changing the meanings with erroneous tones - and yet still strutting around acting as though they are clever and funny. Nothing could be any further from the true picture of what they present. Pathetic, is the English word for it.

Hippo n Mangkorn why so harsh people ? Intolerant ? Come on! I'm talking about the way they say the words. I never value judged or or said mispronounced. What 's your problem? You should be able to glean form my post that I'm celebrating - 'getting a kick out of' - how they say these things. Not laughing at them and ignorance.

Remember the delightful post that asked what's your favorite Thai word ? Well, most ppl responded with the words they loved to both say and hear. Guess what? THis is a new twist on that idea, what Farang words do you like that Thais say a special way??? I love when my ex says Lot and Helly! And Boot Willit too. I celebrate it.

You can't figure that out ? Seriously, didn't expect gripy posts in the language subforum. It's a little brainier than that I thought. If I really wrote unclearly, than fine, I'll take the hit. But I rather think you came into it with a mindset of oh-no here's another complaining Farang. Couldn't be farther from the truth.

And don't call me out on my name Mangkorn. What'd ya wanna do, try and out-Thai me or something ? COme on. It's the lang forum, loosen up.

And by the way... yeah, the other one I didn't post that leaps to mind.... over at the Riverside here in CM, they have a cover band that totally nails Joan Jett except for one glorious part, "...put another dime in the juke box baby! (I say) I love Lock n Loll!" You called it.

I've got a couple examples:

Just last month or so I was so happy to go see Die Hard 4 over at Major with my ex-tgf who is a total But Willit fan. I love the way she says it. COmes out more like 'Boot Wi-leet!' First time she said it a couple yrs back it took me a good five minutes to catch on to what the he77 she was talking about.

And when I first came here two of the hottest movies were "Lot" and "Helly." Of course you can figure out "Lot" by its full name "Lot ov da-Ring." And everyone knows Helly Pot-ter! If only I were a good enough speller to try to type them in Thai that would be sweet.

Anyway, I've got more, but I'd love to hear more that others have picked up in daily life.

Obviously you get used to the rendering of English words in Thai after a while, and it's worth being able to do it yourself. Actually, I find it more distracting when people who speak fluent Thai pronounce all the English words in a perfect American/British accent. It just interrupts the flow. Tata Young is a prime example.

A couple of pronunciations I have come across and found interesting:

1) foil (as in aluminium foil). Several times i have heard this pronounced ฟลอย (floi). This is interesting because normally the final 'l' sound would become an 'n' sound, as per the rules for ล (law ling). In this case, it's as if the speaker is moving the 'l' to a place in the word where its 'l' sound can be preserved.

2) alcohol. I am interested to know why this word gets a 'silent' ล at the end, becoming แอลกอฮอล์(al-gaw-haw), whereas most words with a final 'l' will have it pronounced 'n', again as per the rules for ล. eg. mall, central, michael etc.

don't get me wrong, i think it makes perfect sense to silence the ล, but it doesn't seem to happen in other similar words. perhaps แอลกอฮอล์ was part of the language before the current regime of transliteration.

all the best.

I do find the way Sky becomes Ser Ky and Spain becomes Ser Pain, quite nice.

I know that my inability to make words I think I am pronouncing properly causes a great deal of mirth 'ng' for instance, usually I am floundering about saying " but thats HOW I said it for gawds sake". Tones....huh you should hear me sing...or maybe you shouldnt :o

I suppose the main thing is we do try

Edited by Cobalt60

No worries mate, it's all in good fun!

Other party goes "Huh?"

Statement repeated

Other party goes" Huh?.....Oooooohhhh!" and breaks out laughing. Then the pronunciation is corrected by the native speaking party and we move on in the conversation.

My favorite mis-pronunciation from my wife and her family is still "Baa baa yaa saa lat". I ate this for months with out any idea what it was made from, until one morning someone brought ripe papaya for breakfast. One of my sister in laws sees it and says "Ahhh, baa baa yaa!"

For other places, I always enjoy it when I hear "Have a nice fright!" while boarding an airplane in Narita.

It has been my misfortune to have overheard many big, fat blowhard farangs mispronounce Thai words in the most egregious ways - completely changing the meanings with erroneous tones - and yet still strutting around acting as though they are clever and funny. Nothing could be any further from the true picture of what they present. Pathetic, is the English word for it.

Sawasdee Khun Mangkorn!

I completely agree with you on that, but do feel slightly peeved by the supressed anger generated by your 'juicy' choice of words!

May pben rai, na krap!

A couple of my favorites, harry potter and computer, have already been mentioned. When speaking Thai, I like pronouncing these words in the most ridiculous thai accent as I can get away with. I will also raise my eyebrows on the final syllable for added emphasis, all with while keeping a serious expression on my face.

try it, its fun. however, I did get blamed by my gf at the time for sounding too "low class" :o

Interesting that a couple of posters have mentioned Harry Potter. I have never heard that name spoken in Thai, but was always very impressed by the creativity of the advertisements for the latest movie in that series. They took the original English version of the movie poster, and just tweaked it a bit with very stylized Thai characters - the result being that you could actually read the name in both languages, with very little effort.

Positively brilliant graphic-design work. Whomever came up with that idea, certainly earned their fee, and then some.

1) foil (as in aluminium foil). Several times i have heard this pronounced ฟลอย (floi). This is interesting because normally the final 'l' sound would become an 'n' sound, as per the rules for ล (law ling). In this case, it's as if the speaker is moving the 'l' to a place in the word where its 'l' sound can be preserved.

And indeed, in the correct place it would have to be silent.

P.S. /floi/ is itself contrary to the rules of Thai phonology as normally presented - there are no (true) initial clusters starting with /f/ in Thai.

Edited by Richard W

And indeed, in the correct place it would have to be silent.

P.S. /floi/ is itself contrary to the rules of Thai phonology as normally presented - there are no (true) initial clusters starting with /f/ in Thai.

you're right, richard, i hadn't even considered the fact that 'foin' is not a possibility.

any thoughts on the แอลกอฮอล์ spelling? i really find it an exception to the norm, especially with แอล and ฮอล์ in the same word!

all the best.