Farming With Chickens And Fish

bluerose2

Would like input from people who have experience in working with Charoen Pokphand (CP) for Chickens and Fish.

I have 14 rai of land in Loei which I am looking into turning into a farm for abm livestock.

Is it a wise idea to work with CP? I do not have any experience in running such operations as yet.

Can anybody let me know what are the pros and cons with working with CP and also how does one contact them to start such a venture?

Any input is much appreciated.

Would like input from people who have experience in working with Charoen Pokphand (CP) for Chickens and Fish.

I have 14 rai of land in Loei which I am looking into turning into a farm for abm livestock.

Is it a wise idea to work with CP? I do not have any experience in running such operations as yet.

Can anybody let me know what are the pros and cons with working with CP and also how does one contact them to start such a venture?

Any input is much appreciated.

CP seems to be the largest producer of Animal Feed in Thailand.

I do not have any experience with them locally, however I used to supply them many kind of feed ingredients in the past whilst working in Europe.

For your venture in Loei, you should mainly check what is available in your area, since lot of feed stuff do not cope long distance transport (cost wise). Check out what is available close by and the costs.

If there is a lot of farming close by, there will be CP not far away.

I am sure others who have local expierience will answer your post with many good ideas

good luck :o

My experience is with swine not chicken or fish.

We have been buying feed from CP for some time and found their feed to be good quality. We have tested feed from other suppliers but have not found them to be any better or cheaper in the long run. The support provided by your local doctor/rep is excellent if you are starting out. When we were upgrading the housing the area rep took us out to to other farms in the area to show us the different types of housing used. We were provided with plans for buidings and a list of reputable builders. When we were looking for new "markets" our area rep found several places to sell to and we ended up getting above market price on several sales.

We do not contract farm for CP we only buy their feed.

Now here is what I have heard about contracting directly to CP (only heard not experienced):

Once you sign the contract they provide you with the feed and vet/medicines but are VERY strict on quality. They determine when you produce and how much you produce. I have even heard of people being told to upgrade their buildings to auto feed systems or have their contract revoked. As a contract farmer you have very little influence on the running of your business unless you are turning over a large anout of stock.

My advice would be to start off small and buy their feed. Use their advice and people as much as you can but stay away from the contracts if you can. My feeling is its your business you should control its destiny.

My experience is with swine not chicken or fish.

We have been buying feed from CP for some time and found their feed to be good quality. We have tested feed from other suppliers but have not found them to be any better or cheaper in the long run. The support provided by your local doctor/rep is excellent if you are starting out. When we were upgrading the housing the area rep took us out to to other farms in the area to show us the different types of housing used. We were provided with plans for buidings and a list of reputable builders. When we were looking for new "markets" our area rep found several places to sell to and we ended up getting above market price on several sales.

We do not contract farm for CP we only buy their feed.

Now here is what I have heard about contracting directly to CP (only heard not experienced):

Once you sign the contract they provide you with the feed and vet/medicines but are VERY strict on quality. They determine when you produce and how much you produce. I have even heard of people being told to upgrade their buildings to auto feed systems or have their contract revoked. As a contract farmer you have very little influence on the running of your business unless you are turning over a large anout of stock.

My advice would be to start off small and buy their feed. Use their advice and people as much as you can but stay away from the contracts if you can. My feeling is its your business you should control its destiny.

Thanks for the prompt and friendly advices. As mentioned I do not have any experience in this field, I was in the lines of thinking of having the contract with them. I guess I have to look deeper and study more on the contract terms before deciding.

However, if anybody has any contract experience, I am most open to hear about it.

Also, not sure if there any any CP reps in Loei.

since you have no experience, you definitely have to rely on others

did you visit some other farms around ?

did you talk with people there, where they get the feed from ?

did you make your own "market research" ? not only where to buy feed, but after where to sell your product

all these questions will put you in contact with people there and one will lead to the other and you might stumble upon a CP sales rep

:o

since you have no experience, you definitely have to rely on others

did you visit some other farms around ?

did you talk with people there, where they get the feed from ?

did you make your own "market research" ? not only where to buy feed, but after where to sell your product

all these questions will put you in contact with people there and one will lead to the other and you might stumble upon a CP sales rep

:D

I've alraedy spoken to the local around here but due to it being really 100% boonie (sp?) area, there is nothing larger scale than 100-200 chickens or ducks. Nearest town is about 25-30kms away at Si Bun Rueang.

I am trying to find out more on my end as well. We'll see what turns up. :o

Bluerose2,

Since you have no experience perhaps you might consider doing a small trial run..or two..with the chickens...the cycle doesn't take long and and hands on experience is really valuable...in one year you could run through a few cycles and see what the problems are before going big time. I'm very slow and stepwise in developing my farming system and it takes me longer to get up to speed than most but on the other hand I have not yet had a failure or problem so major as to discourage me.....was it Forest Gump that said "slow and steady wins the race"? On the other hand I'm an organic farmer so and there really isn't anyone around where I live who can give me advise on this so it takes longer when everything is trial and error....maybe you will be able to develop faster.

Chownah

Stay as far away from CP as posible, they will sweet-talk you into there sceme, and after that you become there slave, I had a evap broiler farm with 100.000 chickens, after the bird-flu there was more or less only CP left to deal with, and they know how to scre# you the best way. I stopped one year ago, CP wanted me to upgrade the farm for 5mill baht and I refused, since they would not pay more for the chickens. So now I'm in fish farming, fully integreated without any connection to CP or other big feed-mills, and it is nice.

Regards.

Stay as far away from CP as posible, they will sweet-talk you into there sceme, and after that you become there slave, I had a evap broiler farm with 100.000 chickens, after the bird-flu there was more or less only CP left to deal with, and they know how to scre# you the best way. I stopped one year ago, CP wanted me to upgrade the farm for 5mill baht and I refused, since they would not pay more for the chickens. So now I'm in fish farming, fully integreated without any connection to CP or other big feed-mills, and it is nice.

Regards.

Good to have somebody who have had some experience. Can you share more of this experience? I was looking at something like 1000-2000 birds instead. Also, how much was your start-up costs with the chickens? and how many birds?

Regards.

Good to have somebody who have had some experience. Can you share more of this experience? I was looking at something like 1000-2000 birds instead. Also, how much was your start-up costs with the chickens? and how many birds?

Hi.

CP wont take in any farms under 50.000 chickens, unless it is for there local supply in that area, and it will be a bad deal for you. Try and do something small scale and find you own market, dont be depending on the big boys.

I spend a lot of money on my farm 100.000 chickens and buildings at 9.400m2, is not pocket-money

Regards

Regards.

When I saw this post, I knew for sure comments from Talapia would be flying. I have been to Tilapias operation and can say his advice will be well worth listening to.

Regards.

Hi.

CP wont take in any farms under 50.000 chickens, unless it is for there local supply in that area, and it will be a bad deal for you. Try and do something small scale and find you own market, dont be depending on the big boys.

I spend a lot of money on my farm 100.000 chickens and buildings at 9.400m2, is not pocket-money

Regards

Thanks for the advice, I will most definitely be looking into alternative methods. Thanks again.

Regards.

Hi.

Regards

Thanks for the advice, I will most definitely be looking into alternative methods. Thanks again.

Your are welcome, you can always PM me if you need some more info, we do quite a few things here

Regards