When Does The Smoking Ban Commence ?

BalthazarBeefheart

I have found since stopping smoking I have become particularly sensitive to others smoking around me. I still enjoy going to pubs but am becoming increasingly sensitive to smoke - maybe it is because of my improved sense of smell. I noticed in the Bullshead how the Brits who congregate round the bar hold their cigarettes behind their backs and blow their smoke away from the bar so they don't piss their non-smoking mates off - but have scant regard for poor suckers like me downstream of them.

Rather than having confrontation I am choosing joints where there is little smoke but I just wondered if anyone knew when this ban comes into force ?

Many thanks BB

In the UK ??? It has been in force for months.

They all stand outside on the cold and wet and puff away.

Yes I was trying to find out when this is enforced in Thailand - seems no-one knows !

its already running in aircon places ,in open air bars its impossible to stop it :o

In the UK ??? It has been in force for months.

They all stand outside on the cold and wet and puff away.

Yes I was trying to find out when this is enforced in Thailand - seems no-one knows !

its already running in aircon places ,in open air bars its impossible to stop it :o

Well it wasn't running in the bkk pubs i visited on Wednesday night both aircon places

If you do now want to passive smoke then stay in your own home. Then you do not inflict your preferences on others

My preference is not to inhale others smoke personally I'd like to see a complete ban of smoking in public i.e the smokers stay home that way young kids don't get exposed to cigarette smoking and the misconception it is cool.

Edited by BalthazarBeefheart

If you do now want to passive smoke then stay in your own home. Then you do not inflict your preferences on others

My preference is not to inhale others smoke personally I'd like to see a complete ban of smoking in public i.e the smokers stay home that way young kids don't get exposed to cigarette smoking and the misconception it is cool.

Don't hold your breath on that one.

It's true that air-conditioned bars are already technically part of the existing smoking ban. In reality though, the proprietor pays a small stipend to the authorities, and customers can enjoy a cigarette with their drink without having to loiter outside like a vagrant.

Perhaps some enterprising entrepeneur would like to open a non-smoking pub in which the rules are properly enforced. I wonder how much business he would get...

• 2 weeks later...

Don't hold your breath on that one.

It's true that air-conditioned bars are already technically part of the existing smoking ban. In reality though, the proprietor pays a small stipend to the authorities, and customers can enjoy a cigarette with their drink without having to loiter outside like a vagrant.

Perhaps some enterprising entrepeneur would like to open a non-smoking pub in which the rules are properly enforced. I wonder how much business he would get...

Its funny but I guess that as an ex-smoker I am now so against it probably because of my new found sense of smell. I can detect as soon as someone lights up 20 metres away - I guess I will just have to frequent bars which are airy - I was considering carrying an aerosol of air freshener for when smokers are around me but guess that will lead to hassles.

Cheers BB

• 1 month later...

This is misinformation.  Smoking isn't banned in areas of entertainment in Thailand, but elsewhere it is banned in air conditioned locations since 2004.  All Bangkok Gov't buildings it has just been banned in 2007 (smoking rooms taken out).  The government intends to ban smoking in entertainment areas, the Health Ministry has been pushing for years.   Thailand is signatory to the UN Anti Smoking Convention, so it is obliged to push these through.  A poll found only 19% of Thais want to keep smoking in entertainment areas.   A vast majority of Thai club goers would go MORE OFTEN if they didn't allow smoking. It seems the next government will push this thru...the current one is unpopular enough, and doesn't wanna rock any boats. Personally I wish they banned it years ago. As I have studied for medical school, I know that cigarette smoke can cause over 80 types of diseases, lung cancer is just the tip of the iceberg. Microscopic alveoli in the lungs, by the way, once collapsed, are irreparable. You never grow new sacs, we can't make them, so damage is permanent. Nothing medicine nor our bodies can do. Also goes for all that dam_n Bangkok dust and pollution, and slash and burn should be banned!

Edited by exexpat

• 1 month later...

The 'ban' applies to air conditioned restaurants, not bars. A few do enforce it, even in Pattaya, but the majority don't.

Some places here have no smoking areas which works well. I would never light up in a restauarant anyway, that is just bad manners in this day and age, but to try and enforce a ban in all bars is just lunacy.

Went back to the UK for 2 weeks in October and felt criminalised having to go outside for a smoke all the time - bloody cold too. Why do we want such draconian legislation over here, isn't that part of the reason we love LOS so much, that we are not being dictated to about every facet of our lives?

• 1 month later...
The 'ban' applies to air conditioned restaurants, not bars. A few do enforce it, even in Pattaya, but the majority don't.

Some places here have no smoking areas which works well. I would never light up in a restauarant anyway, that is just bad manners in this day and age, but to try and enforce a ban in all bars is just lunacy.

Went back to the UK for 2 weeks in October and felt criminalised having to go outside for a smoke all the time - bloody cold too. Why do we want such draconian legislation over here, isn't that part of the reason we love LOS so much, that we are not being dictated to about every facet of our lives? Because the increasing majority don't smoke.

• 1 month later...

Did a tour of some gin joints last night...Kings Castle,Elect B,Mucky D,Offshore,Dogs Bs and a few others (but not the S of L)and all appear to be complying with the Ban....not an ASHTRAY in sight ......Nice 1 :o

• 1 year later...

I know the smoking ban is being enforced in many places in Thailand, and I am thankful for that. But by far, Koh Samui is the worst offender. There are only a handful of restaurants on Samui, that even have signs posted. It is the worst location in Thailand for non-smokers. I have walked into restaurants and asked for the non-smoking section, and they look at you like you are from Mars. The normal response is, "no problem, you can smoke anywhere". Talk about missing the point. There is not a single government official that cares, or has made any effort. The mayor is lazy, corrupt, and all talk, and no action. He must be voted out next time, but still nothing will change, unless someone in power in Bangkok embarrasses them into submission. The mayor has been informed of the problem, and he promised to set up an enforcement group to go around and inspect every restaurant and bar on the island. As far as we know, not a single one was ever inspected. Talk about bluster. Talk about lack of initiative. Talk about ineffective. Talk about a lack of leadership. Talk about weak and dishonest. Someone has to do something. It has to come from the top. The police cannot be counted on to contribute to the well being of anybody in Koh Samui. They only respond where there is money involved in Samui. There seems to be little incentive for them to enforce the law there, as there is no political pressure on them. Samui is Thailand's "forgotten country".

As I sit , about to light another Cig.....

BalthazarBeefhea... KARMA ???

I just love the way many Places just get themselves a NO SMOKING / 2,000 BAHT FINE sign , and hang it where they do not want smokers.

I get so confused , I just carry 2,000 Baht , and smoke where I feel it is Appropriate...

Maybe Bars could have non-smoking sections and the Fans directed to help the air quality in those areas.. Just ask the Owners Nicely , you might be surprised at how wiling even Smokers are when it comes to helping Non-Smokers...

Now, Non-smoking in Bangkok , or being offended by odors of Cigarettes , Give me a Break......

Most people in Samui seem to appreciate the utter lack of law enforcement, and competent policing. I suppose I like some

aspects of that too. But, for a non-smoker who has an allergy to tobacco smoke it would sure be nice if at least a small

percentage of restaurants and bars here enforced the law. It is the Thai law after all. I am not bringing my personal preferences

to this land, and harping on people not observing my preferences. I am only saying that it would be nice to see the law occasionally enforced,

especially when it comes to something as fabulously heinous as people blowing smoke in your face while you are trying to enjoy your meal.

What alot of somkers do not seem to get, is that for some of us non-smokers it is not about simply not liking the smell of smoke.

It is a psysiological reaction to the smoke. It is downright nauseating. You can smoke anywhere. Is it so difficult to not smoke for

an hour, while you are enjoying a nice meal? I consider smoking to be the embodiment of a lack of personal discipline, and also

an extreme display of a lack of self esteem. Sabotaging the body like that could result from no other deep seated emotion than wanting

to, or being willing to destroy one's body, and a willingness to create so much pollution and filth around them. Of course it is a habit I have

no understanding of. And I am not intending to be critical of people who choose to smoke. I am only asking, is it too much to ask that smokers

show a very modest sense of discipline, and respect for others, by not smoking when they are eating in a restaurant? I do not think that is too much to ask.