Question About Changing Jobs

Hi All, I have a question regarding work permit/ Visa.

I currently have a Work Permit and today i finally got a 1 year extension on my Non B visa and now i will update my work permit so it matches my visa. The problem is that I am actually leaving my job some time before december (I have handed my notice and my boss said that i have until december to find new job).

Anyway, My question is what do i do about my work permit? Can i simply change it as soon as i get a new job (ie hand it back and then start again on my same non-b visa for the new work permit)? OR do i have to surreneder everything and start again?

I am highly confused so any help would be greatly appreciated :o

Cheers

Once you turn in your work permit (job ends) you will have seven days to leave Thailand as your extension of stay will no longer be valid. In most cases there is nothing you can do about that but believe if both parties are agreeable (former and new employers) it might be possible to add your new employment to current work permit (if in same locality) and then remove the old one and save starting over but have no experience and expect you should consult with law firm if employer(s) are not aware of what can be done. I have no experience in working here so am just providing what I believe may be a possibility.

In most cases it is leave to obtain a new visa with the new company documents and return for a new work permit.

Hello. You'll be given 7 days to stay in Thailand upon surrendering your WP. Within those 7 days, your new employer from Bangkok should be able to provide you a new WP so you can apply for a 3-month visa. Based on my sister's experience, before surrendering her old WP, she made sure that she would be issued a new WP within the 7 days.

experience from the past. could have been luck or else

had WP and Visa still for about 5 months valid

left employer amicably

1 month later he returned my work permit, but told me he will do nothing about visa

5 months later I made new non imm B leaving TH and no one even asked anything

so, there might not be a direct link between labour dept and immigration, or I just was stupidly lucky :o

You may be able so make a smooth, seamless transition if:

a) you remain on good terms with your present employer, and he is willing to keep your present Work Permit open until your new employer has the paperwork ready to submit. (Your present employer does not necessarily have to return your Work Permit on your last day of work there.)

:o your new employer is competent, experienced, and ready to quickly make any last minute amendments that the govt. departments request. This can be hard for you to assess when you haven't yet worked there, try to talk to other current or former foreign employees if you can.

I managed to do this once. I met both employers on the same morning in the lobby of the Immigration office, and everything went smoothly. The employers involved were in two different provinces. That means a little extra running around in terms of the Labour Dept., but not for Immigration.