Firework Display

jumbo2

Thanks - I will be there for sure!!

The problem is that I missed out on so many great firework displays at WalkingStreet cause nobody announces them. And the two I've seen were pure luck that I was there.

And I really loooove fireworks!! So when ever anyone knows something, please remember to post it here :o

So when ever anyone knows something, please remember to post it here

Yes like where the event will be taking place :o

They normally have the big fireworks events at Bali Hai Pier..any one know where the one on Sunday is ?

World Record Attempt to be held at the Bali Hai Port on Sunday.

Khun Wootipon, chaired a Wednesday Morning meeting held at Pattaya City Hall to discuss plans for a World Record Attempt to be held at the Bali Hai Port at the south end of Pattaya Beach. The idea was given to Ripley’s: Believe it or not, located at the Royal Garden Plaza by the Thai Migaza Company who are Japanese Owned. The idea is to launch the largest ever firework which will be followed by a spectacular fireworks display at the Port. The event has been organized to celebrate the 80th Birthday of His Majesty the King and will take place on 30th September at the Bali Hai Port from 7pm after the event was approved by the City Administration.

:D

According to the Guiness Book of Records:

"...the largest firework ever produced was
Universe I Part II,
exploded for the Lake Toya Festival, Hokkaido, Japan on 15 Jul 1988. The 1,543 pound shell was 54.7 inches in diameter and burst to a diameter of 3,937 feet."

The
Pattaya Mail
is reporting:

"Wuttipol said that 120 smaller fireworks would be part of the display, but that the centerpiece would be the world’s largest firework, measuring 125 cm in diameter. This rocket will be buried in the ground for stability and will soar 800 meters or more into the sky above the bay before it explodes. The event will be recorded by Japanese television for later broadcasting.

Council members expressed
concern over safety, saying there has been too little time given for full support measures
. The organizers, however, say that
all safety standards are being observed
."

If you plan on attending I personally would reccommend avoiding the Bali Hai location as it will be crowded and even with "
all safety standards are being observed
." the size of this particular ordinance would make me want to stay a good distance away.

Radio Hill seems like a nice viewpoint or Sirikut Park Overlook.

See you before 7pm Sunday.

The Pattaya Mail is reporting:

"Wuttipol said that 120 smaller fireworks would be part of the display, but that the centerpiece would be the world’s largest firework, measuring 125 cm in diameter. ...

[/indent]

125cm?? I have seen waists bigger than that :o Obviously a typo and hopefully should read 125m.

TheWalkingMan

Nice pics.

Did they set it off ?

is it a new world record?

The biggest one went up, came down and exploded under water as far as I could tell. I don't think anyone was hurt--we were next to a police guy and they radioed him after saying they would try again, but then they said it wasn't possible.

At this upscale foodcourt at Royal Garden Plaza was a party from Ripp-off's Believe-it-or-not and I sneaked in for the fireworks.

They had a Thai lady commenting in English and after the big ka-booom she said something like hold your breath for the big world record blahblahblah

Nothing happens. Silence.

Then she listens to that walkie-talkie stuck in her ear and announces something in Thai. I turn to that Thai reporter next to me and our conversation was....

did I get this right that the rocket that went up and came down again was the world record?

yes

So it was a rather...errmm....failed attempt?

yes

So I better don;t comment?

no

:o