Tawan Daeng Surin

farangconnection

Well, I'm gobsmacked. I've travelled the World a zillion times, been to some of the best night spots on the planet, worked in some of the top nightclubs in Spain, but the Tawan Daeng in Surin takes the biscuit. I don't think I have ever known a more pulsating, friendly,vibrant disco anywhere in the World. The place is fantastic. OK, plenty of people have told me this, but I have just brushed it off, with a " Yeah, yeah" not wanting to offend. The music is Thai rock. A twelve piece Thai band are the resident group there now. It's not too loud, but not exactly background music either. In traditional Thai style, there is no dance floor, the people (80% girls) just dance round their tables. I can see why some people (Thais and Falangs) go there every night of the week. Thumbs up for Tawan Daeng. :o

Where abouts in surin is this disco.

The only disco i have been to there is the one in the big hotel.

Be good to have somewhere else to go next time i am in town

Cheers

Next to Tong Tarin Hotel. If the gates locked you have to go around the long way though

Cheers

Next to Tong Tarin Hotel. If the gates locked you have to go around the long way though

It's good to read these reports. I visited Tawan Daeng on my last trip to Surin but it doesn't really warm up before my bedtime. The better half is very understanding about exploratory visits to strange bars but expects me to be back by midnight, so I didn't get a proper impression of what this place has to offer. My main memory is the gauntlet of the soi dogs in the car park (i.e. the way in through the main entrance away from the hotel). I guess Martin has more freedom now than I do. I hope the other thread doesn't mean that this has a downside, and that he will be in a good enough frame of mind to give us other interesting trip reports outside the confines of the FC. For instance, I want to know more about the Thai 'song-a-song' cafe near the elephant stadium!

Edited by citizen33

There seem to be Tawan Daeng's in now just about every Isaan provincial capital city, and even some in the amphur's. Some reallly rock, others can really bore. I think it depends on what night of the week you hit them and what company you go with. If you went as a couple, you might find it a bit impersonal, and single men may find it just too big to even start to make friends with the 80 %, but a bunch of lads could probably have a good time and hook on to another table of lookers. Early in the week, the ones I've been to are pretty empty, and because of the cavernous size of the halls, they can seem really bleak. But different story on a Friday/Sat or Sun night.

The sound system on the one I last went to in Mahasarakham was pretty <deleted> as well, and there are better and cheaper places to go for plaeng pua cheewit. Theyre good places for seeing the big names of the genre though, like Carabao, Pongsit or Ponthep.

The sound system on the one I last went to in Mahasarakham was pretty <deleted> as well, and there are better and cheaper places to go for plaeng pua cheewit. Theyre good places for seeing the big names of the genre though, like Carabao, Pongsit or Ponthep.

There are a surprising number of places to go for a drink in what is often written off as a 'city of education' with few entertainment venues. I've been to some Sarakham night clubs, but can't remember the names. Did you visit the large one near the Vasu Hotel, or was it perhaps the one in the petrol station yard on the Kalasin road, or the one next door to Classic Isaan Cafe in the Pantip entertainment area? I agree about the drink prices.

Cheers

It's good to read these reports. I visited Tawan Daeng on my last trip to Surin but it doesn't really warm up before my bedtime. The better half is very understanding about exploratory visits to strange bars but expects me to be back by midnight, so I didn't get a proper impression of what this place has to offer. My main memory is the gauntlet of the soi dogs in the car park (i.e. the way in through the main entrance away from the hotel). I guess Martin has more freedom now than I do. I hope the other thread doesn't mean that this has a downside, and that he will be in a good enough frame of mind to give us other interesting trip reports outside the confines of the FC. For instance, I want to know more about the Thai 'song-a-song' cafe near the elephant stadium!

Hi all

I live in Surin and the Tawan Daeng is, in my opinion the livliest place to go in Surin ! Its rough in a good sense and busy but never has any trouble. The age group is mixed and the music is very loud. Price for food and drink is reasonable. Its also a short stumble away from the FC so all in all a recipe for a good night out (even with the wife!!).

regards Dave

:o

For instance, I want to know more about the Thai 'song-a-song' cafe near the elephant stadium!

You must mean the "Shing-a-shong"

Actually I visited the Daeng last night as well. Got there at 11 left at around 2.30. Bought a beer when I got there, then after that, couldn't spend a penny(not in the biblical sense)Tables of girls, tables of lads on a night out ( around 70%-30% in favour of the girls)everyone wanted me to go over and talk to them, while they replenished my glass, most of the time with Brandy or 100 pipers/Black label and soda. Had a girl singer there last night with the resident band, and the strange thing is she did Hava Nagila completely in Hebrew. She did some English songs as well.Don't know the name of the band, but they play some good stuff. No trouble as well. Was a sort of a scuffle going on, but when I investigated it was the girl I had just had in a warm embrace, having a blazing row with her boy friend. Well these things happen.