Thai English Language Newspapers

Upcountry

As I read the Bangkok Post, or The Nation, especially some of the very insightful opinion and analysis pieces, including letters to the editor, I sometimes wonder if the Thai powers that be, academics or other English-literate Thai people who might be opinion leaders, read them as well.

Is all the reporting and analysis just meant for the small English speaking "choir"?

I also wonder how much of the English material in the Post appears in Post Today in some form. Aside from the movie-star boiler plate stuff in the Thai papers, how much news analysis is available to Thais in their language?

I don't know many, really any, Thai people who seem to pay much attention to the news in any case, but I do think wishfully that maybe the Thai government has a team of people who monitor the farang news and opinion regarding Thailand, and perhaps take what they can use and leave the rest.

I'm looking for insightful anecdotes from TV members who have some knowledge in this area, rather than the usual knee-jerk whinging. :o I'm posting this out of genuine curiosity. It's too easy to make an assumption.

The Bangkok post is widely read by educated middle and upper class Thais throughout the country - indeed a majority of it's readership is Thai.

Many provincial towns sell the Bangkok Post, where thereare very few farangs in residence.

It is a known fact that many politicians and the country's elete read the English language papers - indeed it wasn't long ago that Gen Prem advised that the Post was the only paper he read on a daily basis.

In fact our dear ex leader, Dr Thaksin got his knickers in a twist no end of times about the Post's reporting, and his business henchmen threatened to withdraw their advertising, which had the effect of pushing the Post into a period of semi self censorship. The most notorious Thaksin incident was when the Post reported cracks on the runways at Suvarnabhumi, and he threatened to sue them for billions. The Post's response was to fire the journalist who wrote the story and offer an abject apology. To this day they have refused to reinstate that journalist.

In spite of all this the Post and some of it's journalists are still outspoken on many matters of public interest and continue to publish incisive and highly critical commentaries.

Of course,the vast majority of Thais - poor, working class and unable to read English, never give it a second glance.

I hope this answers your question

Edited by Mobi

The Bangkok post is widely read by educated middle and upper class Thais throughout the country - indeed a majority of it's readership is Thai.

Many provincial towns sell the Bangkok Post, where thereare very few farangs in residence.

It is a known fact that many politicians and the country's elete read the English language papers - indeed it wasn't long ago that Gen Prem advised that the Post was the only paper he read on a daily basis.

In fact our dear ex leader, Dr Thaksin got his knickers in a twist no end of times about the Post's reporting, and his business henchmen threatened to withdraw their advertising, which had the effect of pushing the Post into a period of semi self censorship. The most notorious Thaksin incident was when the Post reported cracks on the runways at Suvarnabhumi, and he threatened to sue them for billions. The Post's response was to fire the journalist who wrote the story and offer an abject apology. To this day they have refused to reinstate that journalist.

In spite of all this the Post and some of it's journalists are still outspoken on many matters of public interest and continue to publish incisive and highly critical commentaries.

Of course,the vast majority of Thais - poor, working class and unable to read English, never give it a second glance.

I hope this answers your question

A good post and reply.

I have been thinking about this myself sometimes.

Once again TV is not only entertaining, but also educational.

Thnx guys.

On the runway cracks article point, it should be remember that the original article suggested cracks at the landing point, which was never substantiated. To borrow a comment made about a BBC report, it was good reporting spoilt by poor wording, indeed one could argue that the reporter or his unknown source 'sexed it up'. This in no way absolves the Post's craven attitude, they should have argued for their reporter and for effective clarification not abject supplication.

Overall the English language papers are conduits used by the senior Thais but their importance is less then one would anticipate. the fourth estate has little traction here. It is not an opinion forming platform for example. However, the concern has increased since articles may be reviewed abroad, and in this internet age come back to haunt some.

Regards

/edit mad typist strikes again//

Edited by A_Traveller

"The most notorious Thaksin incident was when the Post reported cracks on the runways at Suvarnabhumi, and he threatened to sue them for billions. The Post's response was to fire the journalist who wrote the story and offer an abject apology. To this day they have refused to reinstate that journalist."

Ahhhhh yes the Post. They have outstanding articles/sections on travel and activities in Thailand, SEA countries and the world. However I would not depend on their judgment, honesty, or moral integrity. But you knew that right :o

Just some additional info. The Bangkok Post is the only audited newspaper in Thailand, and when you take out the airline and hotel copies it sells around 40,000 copies per day. Compare that to the Thai language papers that 'claim' upwards of a million or more sales per day and you can that The Bangkok Post cannot compare in terms of sales. It's true to say that their own readership figures show a Thai readership of upwards of 80 per cent.

I have been reading the Post for some 35 years, and it has survived many repressive regimes, a majority of whom have exercised censorship in one form or another. The Post record is far from exemplary, and there have been times when they have totally followed government line, and have been their mouth piece.

However, I do believe that there are number of journalists with integrity working for the Post, and they do write very hard hitting and highly critical commentaries and articles about the government, the ruling elite, and the injustices suffered by so many in this country, and this was equally so during the Thaksin regime. Many of the news reports did and still do 'toe the line', but the centre pages always contain free thinking journalism. Maybe much of it goes over the heads of the 'Thai readership', which is why they get away with it.

It is easy for us to criticise, but at the end of the day, every newspaper in the world is subject to commercial pressures and other 'influences', and in the circumstances, I would say that the Post doesn't do bad job - even if sometimes you are obliged to read between the lines to know what is really going on.

I have always joked that the reason I really don't care too much for the Post or The Nation is that they are papers written in English FOR THE THAIS.

There is no shortage of articles and features which have very little appeal to farangs. Don't go kidding yourself thinking that farangs are their primary market....not by a long shot!